M Telephoto Lens (Macro Elmar vs Apo-Telyt)

dbertin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody!

I need some suggestion about telephoto. I'm planning a car trip from Italy to Norway (Bergen and Fjords). I'll bring my M10-P with WATE, 28Lux and 50Lux. In case I'll decide to take also a longer lens would you suggest the 90 Macro Elmar or 135 Apo-Telyt? The elmar would be smaller and more convenient but I ask you if it's too close to 50Lux and a 135mm would be more spaced.

Thank you in advannce for your suggestions.

Daniele

Hello Daniele,

This would be a very nice trip, I'm jalous 😉.

I can not answer for you, just many suggestions :

- each one is good choice

- if you have time, just take time to see by yourself if 90 or 135 suits you

- if it was me, I'd take the two in luggage to be prepared for challenging pictures

- ask yourself if you will use EVF with these (or one of) lenses, good lenses need to be learned to give the best

a - with my Macro-Elmar-M 90, I mainly use the OVF, but from my experience of 135mm lenses using the OVF is hard (I now use the Elmarit 2.8/135

b - if not already done, take the Visoflex 020

vor 32 Minuten schrieb dbertin:

I'm planning a car trip from Italy to Norway (Bergen and Fjords).

That's a long drive for sure. I have been to Norway several times, also to Bergen, and it is simply spectacular. While the roads in Norway are quite good, many of them are narrow and curvy (as dictated by the Norwegian topology). Therefore, if you plan your trips within Norway, the average distance covered per hour is no more than 50km (as opposed to, e.g., Germany, France or Italy, where you can average 100km per hour).

vor 32 Minuten schrieb dbertin:

In case I'll decide to take also a longer lens would you suggest the 90 Macro Elmar or 135 Apo-Telyt?

As indicated above, Norway is all about spectacular scenery. Wide angle lenses are therefore likely to be used more often. In my view, the Macro-Elmar 90 is perfectly suited for some semi-tele shots, in addition to offering some Macro capabilities which you may need to photograph flowers (of which there are many in Norway) or similar stuff. When I was visiting Norway, I also had a 200mm lens with me, but only used it for very few shots.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by wizard
correction

3 minutes ago, wizard said:

That's a long drive for sure. I have been to Norway several times, also to Bergen, and it is simply spectacular. While the roads in Norway are quite good, many of them are narrow and curvy (as dictated by the Norwegian topology). Therefore, if you plan your trips within Norway, the average distance covered per hour is no more than 50km (as opposed to, e.g., Germany, France or Italy, where you can average 100km per hour).

As indicated above, Norway is all about spectacular scenery. Wide angle lenses are therefore likely to be used more often. In my view, the Macro-Elmar 90 is perfectly suited for some semi-tele shots, in addition to offering some Macro capabilities which you may need to photograph flowers (of which there are many in Norway) or similar stuff. When I was visiting Norway, I also a 200mm lens with me, but only used it for very few shots.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you wizard!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As motorbike travelers, we have limiting choice of things to carry, but I managed to have in our small pannier, long lenses like 400/560mm even if not used often.

Now we are happy with 2.8/135mm but always have with us the very nice and light Macro-Elmar-M 90 mm, my wife's prefered 90mm for many decades.

So why I talked "the two" 90/135 😄.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbertin said:

I'll bring my M10-P with WATE, 28Lux and 50Lux. In case I'll decide to take also a longer lens would you suggest the 90 Macro Elmar or 135 Apo-Telyt?

Daniele, the trip is promising, and I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience. Good luck!

When it was the time to invest in a telephoto, I tried both the 90 and 135 focal lengths, and I ended up buying the 90. IMX is better for accurate composition, and the frame lines are easy to use. I find the 135 too small because I'm losing too much of the 0.72x VF. It feels like a waste. Also, for the prime lenses you already have, it makes more sense to me to buy a 90, especially being a car trip: much smaller and lighter: 28 - 35 - 50 - 75 - 90

Lastly, if you don't mind, I would like to give you my opinion about how many lenses to bring. I'm not sure if you are a very WA lenses kind of guy, but If I were you, I would leave the WATE at home and bring the 28-50-90 trio. Pure OVF and 'be there.' It's more than enough to do everything you want, less weight and, more than anything, options to choose from. I believe it helps to focus more on the shots and be less distracted by lens choices. But it's me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Daniele, the trip is promising, and I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience. Good luck!

When it was the time to invest in a telephoto, I tried both the 90 and 135 focal lengths, and I ended up buying the 90. IMX is better for accurate composition, and the frame lines are easy to use. I find the 135 too small because I'm losing too much of the 0.72x VF. It feels like a waste. Also, for the prime lenses you already have, it makes more sense to me to buy a 90, especially being a car trip: much smaller and lighter: 28 - 35 - 50 - 75 - 90

Lastly, if you don't mind, I would like to give you my opinion about how many lenses to bring. I'm not sure if you are a very WA lenses kind of guy, but If I were you, I would leave the WATE at home and bring the 28-50-90 trio. Pure OVF and 'be there.' It's more than enough to do everything you want, less weight and, more than anything, options to choose from. I believe it helps to focus more on the shots and be less distracted by lens choices. But it's me. 

Agree completely with this: 28-50-90 trio. That would be a great combo. If it was me, I would have my 21/35/135

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! I read more votes for 90 macro elmar.

I like more WA than telephoto, so if I have to choose I'd rather bring the WATE with 28 and 50mm than a 90/135. So I don't consider to buy or take both tele in a trip.

I have also 35Lux and 75Apo, that could be great companions to the WATE but now I prefer to bring 28/50 instead of 35/75.

Daniele

• Like 1

Telephotos are wonderful for landscapes and since you have the Visoflex I would definitely take the 135 with the 90, 50 and since you got a 28 which is more than enough for a wide landscape I would leave the WATE behind (or at the bottom of the bag if you must!)

Alessandro

buon viaggio. 

Your trip sounds amazing, dbertin! I‘m jalous too.

Regarding the lenses, my two cents are the following:

If you have both, bring both. 🙂

If only one is allowed, bring the 135 APO. Supposedly you will use this mainly for landscape photos and thus at infinity where you can rely on the hard stop at infinity and don‘t need the rangefinder for adjusting the distance.

And If you nevertheless need 90mm photos: just stitch 4 photos with the 135. Works great for landscape.

Moreover, it is my gut feeling that the 135 APO offers a slight edge in optical quality over the 90 Macro Elmar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wda said:

Specially for landscapes within landscapes.

I could not agree more...

Alex

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mustafasoleiman
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Daniele,

If you plan to use Visoflex 020, then 135mm would be the choice over 90mm.

Landscape with 135mm ( now more for me, to 560mm, if clean mountain air) is something to discover and to love.

Or clean sea "air"...

Old optical Visoflex III + Telyt-V 6.8/560mm on M9 !

not the best prove of telephoto picture, but for me pleasingly render of this old style simple huge achromat non-apo lens

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been tempted to get the 135, but I really don't want a long lens. The collapsed 90 is just too handy. And I think it is optically better. Certainly sharp enough.

Here is a macro 90 cropped to 1/5th of the full frame, at 1/350. f4, ISO 250. M10M.

• Like 1

Hello Daniele - if you have some lead time before your trip - I would take your 135mm out for a day of shooting - alone - no other lens.  Next day while that's still fresh in your mind just take the 90mm - shoot the entire day - just the 90mm. Look at the results from your two days. How did they feel? What was your comfort level with each lens? Did you gel with one lens more than the other? Would be worth a try providing you have the time. Either way your going to have a fantastic trip> Enjoy!

• Like 4