Leica MP - time lag from half press to meter reading

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I’d appreciate some thoughts from MP owners to see if I should have my camera sent back to Germany for fix under warranty. My black paint MP is about 1 yr old, and I surprised to find that after I picked it up a few months ago that the half press was out of calibration and that I had to nearly fire the shutter to get it to read the meter (show red arrows). I hadn’t shot with it for a while but I knew it wasn’t right, and I had my m6 to compare against that was much more, and correctly, sensitive to half press. Anyway, back to the shop it went and on to an Australian repair centre. It came back a month later but, while better, it was very clearly only reading well beyond the half press about 50% of the way down the second stage of shutter release. I had it again sent away to fix the problem. This time a month later it’s come back with the meter correctly appearing at the end of the half press BUT now I’ve noticed the reading takes a bit of time to appear, perhaps a third of a second delay from half reaching the half-press. Barely noticeable to others who don’t use a camera much, but to me it seems off.

I can’t remember if it always did this since new as I haven’t shot with it for so long. However, my m6 is instant and I’ve never previously noticed this delay for the meter to read. In case it was the batteries changed the battery with those in the m6 and also dropped in new batteries and the delay is still present. It’s only very slight at about 1/3 second but it doesn’t seem right and it makes it frustrating when changing from the m6 and back, or my digital canon 6d which is also instant in the meter appearing on half press.

My question to the forum before I request it be sent back to germany; do other mp owners notice any delay between half press and the meter appearing? Or does it seem instant. If you happen to have an m6 AND mp on hand, do they both have the meter reading (red arrows) appear nearly instantly, or do you find the m6 is quicker to provide a readout.

Thanks. It’s difficult to take it to the shop as they aren’t able to get any analogue leicas in stock so there is nothing to compare with and it’s up to me to explain if it seems to be working correctly or not, and whether it should be sent away. I appreciate their position but it’s difficult to then justify if it needs to be sent away. It will go back to Germany next time though, as I’ve little faith in the Australian repairer. I should clarify, it’s not for poor quality workmanship, per sei, but that without having shot the camera for six months (or any Leica for that matter) I can tell in a split second that it’s not right, but the camera tech didn’t have any concern in putting it back in the post as testing correctly and working as intended.

Be very eager to hear people’s experience with what I’m describing about potential meter read out delay from half press.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Steve_4802

@Steve_4802, interesting question.  I have seen delays in MP, M6 metering in very low light, or low light with a higher aperture (an f/4 MATE or something similar), but in brighter light or f/1.4 type apertures, have never noted a lag.  Clearly the electronics has to meter and compute the output, but if there is a lag it has not hurt my shooting.

Truth be told I also use an M3 and so I frequently take an ambient light measurement and then shoot several frames, adjusting as I move and checking along the way with a light meter.  I tend to shoot the MP’s the same way (sold my M6).  I’ll meter and then ignore the meter unless it changes dramatically, but I adjust as I go, so that doesn’t normally happen.

It sounds like your problem can be interpreted here somewhat subjectively.  It is hard to measure a very short delay without equipment and one person’s delay is another’s normal. If you are not happy, I would send it back again, but I would also ask for something specific.  There are tolerances for all parts of the MP.  Fo example, I prefer my 1/1000 of a second set to 1/900, because it stays longer at the proper timing (especially with older M3’s).  You may want to ask to have the meter turn on at the shorter end of the tolerance range.  In other words, give the repair person something to aim for to get you what you want.  

I’m not sure where you live, but in the US the Leica repair shop is in NJ and I have always found them helpful.  I would consider talking with the tech and understanding the options to ask for exactly what you want.

Not sure if that helps…

...just checked both my MPs. As I thought, there was no discernible delay once the shutter release button is depressed slightly - the relevant LEDs light up immediately.

I recommend following 250swb's instructions to the letter, and if that does not produce the desired result, I would send it back to Germany with a note saying exactly what needs to be said. Bear in mind the reader may not be a native English speaker, so steer well clear of any potential linguistic 'banana skins' (like the one I just used). Good luck.

• 6 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Linghsiao, my first problem regarding how far the shutter button has to be pressed was resolved. I’m uncertain the detail but the depth at which the shutter depth gets activated is adjustable. I think it happened after a few roles (wasnt there when I first received the camera new) but it’s fine now after being fixed under warranty. 

With the issue of the very minor delay in the meter arrows appearing, that is still present. I requested it be sent back to Germany under warranty which Leica Australia did, I simply couldn’t understand how the m6 was instant and the MP was ever so slightly slower, depending on the degree of light. Note, in extremely dim light (too little to shoot at any reasonable shutter speed) or lens cap is on it’s probably in the order of 1/8 to 1/3 of a second. I’m most light it is (nearly) instant, but still not truly instant like my m6. Aaaanyway, Leica Germany inspected and gave the camera the all clear and said it was fine. I had extra questions communicated to Germany by Leica Australia and I was happy with the responses. In short, Leica confirmed the meter circuit design is now different in the MP and that was the reason for the very minor delay in readout compared with the m6. I understand this to mean it’s performing the same as other mp’s and as it it meant to; good enough for me. 

I was surprised to learn that the MP meter design was notably different to actually have such a difference in something as practically important as meter lag. I expect there are other advantages to the revised meter circuit design that I’m simply unaware of, and perhaps this was the result of an otherwise improved meter design.

Im now trying to simply use the camera more to build a positive feel for the camera that only comes with use. I’m not worried about the meter now and without measuring it against the m6, it’s doing it’s job well. Moreover, in strong light as it usually evident for shooting it’s completely fine. I’m starting again to appreciate the the positives of the MP- it just is awesome pretty which makes it more fu to pickup and use. My m6 is working flawlessly after recent CLA and viewfinder upgrade, but the MP also tends to feel ever so very slightly nicer with the shutter and rewind, but we’re really only splitting hairs; the M6 too really does feel amazing, at least compared to any run of the mill SLR.

Hope that helps. In short; if you have to press the button too far for the meter to read it’s possibly an adjustment issue ; if it’s a minor delay in readout by a fraction of a second, it may just be hoe it is. If you’re uncertain, package it up and have Leica Australia send it to Germany with a very clear description of the issue. For me, this was all done under warranty and Leica simply sent me a reply paid sticker to put on the box to send at my leisure. Then a few months it appeared in the post. I received an update from Leica Australia while it was in Germany and to ensure I was happy with the reply.

cheers,

steve