Auto preview works only sporadically (screen remains black sometimes)

Jewl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi fellows,

it seems my auto preview is behaving strangely. I have set it to 3 seconds. After a shot, the screen often remains black. This is quite confusing when you would like to have a look at the picture that's just been taken. If you would like to see the picture you often have to press then the play button at least twice. 

Have you experienced this as well? I also thought that I am pressing the play button with the frame of my glasses while taking the shot which replicates this behavior but I could not proof this as the cause while I was monitoring it thoroughly. 

Today I also had experienced the phenomenon that the screen remained black while the buttons were not reacting at all after I took a shot.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Best,
J

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Photoworks:

I have been noticing this often now...

shake a picture, pressing play FN or menu does nothing..

only when it take another photo the button work again 

This morning I experienced as well the same phenomenon of the black screen + 3 disabled function buttons (play, fn & menu) so that I needed to turn the camera off and on again! This was for me rather rare tbh! For me, the buttons were mainly working but the preview was not showing up! Did a reset yesterday. Seems that certain settings that were made / or not made might influence this phenomenon. Hopefully a firmware thingy.

Same thing here. Though I have seen this at very early stage. (Within a few day I have it)

also, sometimes, half press shutter won’t change backscreen from “play” or “menu” to shooting mode. I have to hit play button again to disable image review at back screen. 

so many bugs. 

Edited by ZHNL
  • Thanks 2

It seems this might be related to how pictures are stored! When changing the storage options to "Internal first" it seems to get better/resolves whereas it is perceivable quite regularly when it is set to "SD first" or when just removing the SD card

I have ordered a new, faster SD card to check whether this helps already or whether there is a bug in the option "SD first".

Am 20.4.2022 um 10:19 schrieb Jewl:

It seems this might be related to how pictures are stored! When changing the storage options to "Internal first" it seems to get better/resolves whereas it is perceivable quite regularly when it is set to "SD first" or when just removing the SD card. 

I have ordered a new, faster SD card to check whether this helps already or whether there is a bug in the option "SD first".

Have to revert this, unfortunately the issue persists, doesnt matter whether internal or external storage is used. It just happens less often I perceive…

11 hours ago, Jewl said:

@Photoworks @ZHNL btw. have you experienced the preview behavior or only that the 3 buttons stopped working? 

My case is slightly different than yours. I didn’t enable auto preview but occasionally when I am in Image review stage, half press shutter will not go to shooting mode. I have to hit play button again to come out of it. 

Also, I have experienced that menu button unresponsive (I can’t go to menu) or in menu mode, half press shutter will not go out of menu mode etc….

These happened during my recent trip which I used M11 extensively during hiking. Since then, I only used M11 occasionally, so far so good. I feel it may have something to do with “racing” with multiple commends or writing to card cause signal congestion etc…

I hope Leica can address it in future firmware update. 

• Thanks 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Photoworks:

both.

I just reset camera and I am still getting it.

Thanks for your feedback! Yes, I have reset the camera also a couple of times! Also without doing much configuration to avoid any "unnecessary" setting is causing this. But this does not seem it matters. In all cases, issue persists. I have also messaged Leica Customer Care. No reply yet! 

vor 41 Minuten schrieb ZHNL:

My case is slightly different than yours. I didn’t enable auto preview but occasionally when I am in Image review stage, half press shutter will not go to shooting mode. I have to hit play button again to come out of it. 

Also, I have experienced that menu button unresponsive (I can’t go to menu) or in menu mode, half press shutter will not go out of menu mode etc….

These happened during my recent trip which I used M11 extensively during hiking. Since then, I only used M11 occasionally, so far so good. I feel it may have something to do with “racing” with multiple commends or writing to card cause signal congestion etc…

I hope Leica can address it in future firmware update. 

Thanks for your feedback as well! I believe both topics might be related / grounded in the same issue. And yes, would be great if Leica can address this rather earlier than later!

Even though it might seem the issue is only a minor thing it is quite frustrating and distracting! Really decreases the joy to use the camera...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jewl said:

Even though it might seem the issue is only a minor thing it is quite frustrating and distracting! Really decreases the joy to use the camera...

I agree. 

as a long term Leica user for multiple system. ( I had/have SL2/2S, S006/007, M9/240/10/11) I am kind of used to this :) not good at all but no other cameras offer me the same experience even they are flawless in Operation. 

I don’t want give Leica excuse but hope can calm you a little and keep enjoying using your camera. It still is the best M I ever used. 

• Like 1

vor 16 Stunden schrieb ZHNL:

I agree. 

as a long term Leica user for multiple system. ( I had/have SL2/2S, S006/007, M9/240/10/11) I am kind of used to this :) not good at all but no other cameras offer me the same experience even they are flawless in Operation. 

I don’t want give Leica excuse but hope can calm you a little and keep enjoying using your camera. It still is the best M I ever used. 

Yes, I know. I had a similar situation with my Q1 a couple of years ago (M10 was okay but I purchased it 3-4 years after release, therefore it was way more mature than the M11). It was very disappointing and unsatisfactory (the issue was quite severe, focusing was not working due to a software issue).

I nevertheless think you can expect a camera that is working to 99% especially for a camera that expensive! 

The good thing is, as it seems not an issue that is specific to my camera only, it might be fixed via firmware... Therefore still trying to enjoy the camera. And I agree, overall it is an awesome camera and was worth the upgrade of the M10!

• Like 1

vor 12 Minuten schrieb ZHNL:

I have to say my m10p was very reliable and froze zero times over the 3 years ownership. M11 might be the one with the most software glitch I ever experienced. 

Yea also exchanged the m10p for the m11 and thats actually the good thing about the special versions of the camera… 😉 but yea, fingers crossed they will make it sooner than later! Bur overall, my perception is that Leica should definitely invest more in the software development space as their tools become less reliable then with more technology that needs to be controlled by computers and algorithms!

• 4 months later...

I think of the M11 as an M10 with the inside electronics swapped out and replaced by SL-grade components.  The firmware needed a complete rewrite, hence the strange behavior with fast single exposure shutter timing, missed shots, etc.  I've put in some time in testing this, and will see if I can review the newest firmware in the next few days.  Unfortunately, Leica seems to think it has done what can be done.  That's my interpretation of Jesko von Oe's comments.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I think of the M11 as an M10 with the inside electronics swapped out and replaced by SL-grade components.  The firmware needed a complete rewrite, hence the strange behavior with fast single exposure shutter timing, missed shots, etc.  I've put in some time in testing this, and will see if I can review the newest firmware in the next few days.  Unfortunately, Leica seems to think it has done what can be done.  That's my interpretation of Jesko von Oe's comments.

isn't a new firmware coming out soon. just do the tests when that one is out!.

• 2 months later...
Am 22.9.2022 um 15:34 schrieb sdk:

So far I have not had any problems with review on my M11, but I have auto review turned off, and only use the play button for checking photos (and not every photo at that).

For me it is hard to imagine to work like this especially if you rely on the multi-field metering method which does not always result in expected exposure. Therefore I‘d like to see directly with a quick view after each shot whether the lighting is as expected and not over or underexposed!

how do you handle this? Maybe it is even more relaxing to be in the moment if you do not look after each pic!

Edited by Jewl