M11 now supported by adobe

Photoworks

I'm a novice at Adobe Light room.  does the camera raw update affect the m11 profile in lightroom (which is said to be a dummy profile)?  Also, online it says that lightroom 5.3 is the latest version.  In my creative cloud menu, it is showing that my lightroom is up to date but it is only version 5.2.  Any reason for that?

10 hours ago, Photoworks said:

The new camera raw update April’s 2022 no supports the M11 for computers and iPad Lightroom 

Thanks. M11 was apparently already supported earlier, but the document was not updated (ACR 13.4, LrC 10.4).

Edited by SrMi
PC works, my mistake
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, M Journey said:

the m11 profile in lightroom (which is said to be a dummy profile)

By who?

The M11 profile which I first noticed in the December 2021 update to Adobe DNG converter has color matrices, forward matrices, further refinements of D50 chromatic adaptation via HSD tables and a LUT

or put another way it’s clearly a ‘full fat’ adobe dcp profile, that follows the same adobe standard of profile creation as every other adobe profile from the last 10 years or so.

MAYBE (but I think unlikely) they’ll tweak the content, but the M11 profile is a fully formed entity, not something quickly cobbled together just so that M11 DNGs open in LR/ACR

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But Leica prospective control not works..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

45 minutes ago, elmars said:

Go to settings > presets > general and choose camera settings. Then it should work.

That setting is necessary if you want to apply PC automatically at import and when PC is set in the camera.

I have it disabled (set to Adobe Default) and do it on demand by clicking the Guided button in the Transform panel (LrC). This works even if you have not enabled PC in the camera.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SrMi said:

That setting is necessary if you want to apply PC automatically at import and when PC is set in the camera.

I have it disabled (set to Adobe Default) and do it on demand by clicking the Guided button in the Transform panel (LrC). This works even if you have not enabled PC in the camera

Edited by erudolph
Corrected misstatement.

At first I thought PC was not working if it had been turned off in the M11 camera menu.  However, I was checking this with DNGs that had been previously imported into LrC, using  v 11.2.  When PC is turned off and DNGs are imported into v 11.3, as @SrMi says, the PC info is there and can be seen by turning on Guided in the Transform panel.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb elmars:

Go to settings > presets > general and choose camera settings. Then it should work.

I can have my presets on any preset (e.g. one I had befire the update of LR) and it works with any import preset.

But what I do not understand: When set to "camera settings" for import (presets) I get absolutely no other result as any flat import with same settings before the LR update. 

Were there not discussion in the forum about pictures not being "sharp" and it was claimed that there was still no adobe profile for the M11 as the camera was not supported. Now it is supported but I can not see any difference besides suport of oerspective control. As a consequence I went back to my import profile that I created back in January for my new M11.

Edited by M11 for me

1 hour ago, Tailwagger said:

So color me confused. AFAICT, PC is not working, a least when pressing the guided button. Are others seeing it work via the old M10-R method or am I missing something?!?

Is this with M11 that you have imported after update? 

In LrC, any M11 file imported before the recent update does not react to the guided button, you must reimport it for PC to work :(. Hence my wrong assumption that PC does not work.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Is this with M11 that you have imported after update? 

In LrC, any M11 file imported before the recent update does not react to the guided button, you must reimport it for PC to work :(. Hence my wrong assumption that PC does not work.

Bummer. I had counted on reworking a shot or two, no biggie.  Thx for the clarification. 

18 hours ago, Photoworks said:

The new camera raw update April’s 2022 no supports the M11 for computers and iPad Lightroom 

True, Camera Raw 14.3 is out today, and the Lightroom Classic 11.3 as well.

Confusion is that Adobe now say they supported Leica M11 since Version 13.4 (September 2021), which could be the case if they made it already when they got a prototype of the Leica M11, or it could be an error and they meant 14.3 instead of 13.4.

Bottom line is that when you install the Lightroom 11.3 (not necessary as the M11 would be supported from LR4 and onward), and Adobe Camera Raw 14.3, nothing is added. Everything looks the same, and the colors are still sort of saturated. So this is as good as it gets, and the Adobe Color profile in my opinion does a better job when editing M11 photos.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Overgaard said:

True, Camera Raw 14.3 is out today, and the Lightroom Classic 11.3 as well.

Confusion is that Adobe now say they supported Leica M11 since Version 13.4 (September 2021), which could be the case if they made it already when they got a prototype of the Leica M11, or it could be an error and they meant 14.3 instead of 13.4.

Bottom line is that when you install the Lightroom 11.3 (not necessary as the M11 would be supported from LR4 and onward), and Adobe Camera Raw 14.3, nothing is added. Everything looks the same, and the colors are still sort of saturated. So this is as good as it gets, and the Adobe Color profile in my opinion does a better job when editing M11 photos.

Adobe will always be able to open a DNG file as there’s a profile embedded into this format (see “Leica M11 Profile” in your screen shots) which is created by the camera manufacturer (well whoever coded the DNG content, probably the manufacturer)

Adobe also creates profiles cameras. These have the display name ‘Adobe Standard’ and are created for use with a specific camera

There is a third (set of) adobe profile(s), these are called Adobe Color (and also adobe landscape, adobe portrait etc), these are generic profiles that work in conjunction with the adobe standard profile, but are generic in that one size fits all. So the adobe color (not standard) profile that the M11 uses is the same as the one the M10 uses, or the Sony or the Fuji or the canon etc etc*

It’s very rare for adobe to have a second go at making a new adobe standard profile (in the context of Leica M the last time they did this was for the M8)

AFAIK once adobe have made an adobe standard profile, they consider the camera supported because they have their own profile for it

………..

Adobe lens profiles.

Again… these tend to be (there’s a couple of exceptions) one profile file per lens.

So it does not work like this with a lot of files

Summilux 50 ASPH + M8

Summilux 50 ASPH + M9

Summilux 50 ASPH + M240

Summilux 50 ASPH + M262

Summilux 50 ASPH + M10

Summilux 50 ASPH + M11

etc etc

There’s just one lens profile file per lens and adobe uses that with all the cameras (my feeling here is that adobe tweaks the RAW data demosaicing to meet the values in the lens profile file, not vice versa)

In short adobe are probably as annoyed as you are that the M11 doesn’t play nice with their existing lens profile files.

========

*the boring tech bit here (but hey much like developing film it’s worth to know how this stuff works I think)

The adobe standard profile profiles the camera to colours that adobe think are great 😇, then the adobe color file contains a 3D LUT (or known as a colour table) that gets pasted on the top of the adobe standard file. So the generic adobe color file works with the camera specific adobe standard file.

So import RAW, identify make and model (specific to camera), apply adobe standard to demosaic (specific to camera), apply adobe color file (generic to all cameras)

The correct one to use (out of adobe color, adobe standard, leica m11) is the one that looks like the best starting point to you for that particular photo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2