Why M10M?

Jacobjuul

13 hours ago, Jacobjuul said:

any recommendations for a good inkjet? From what I remember, they do need to be exercised regularly.

I have been very happy with the Epson P600 that I bought to replace my aging R2400. I thought about the P800, but it's a much larger printer, physically, and I don't often print to larger than 11x17 inch cut sheet. The P600 handles up to 13x19 cut sheet and 13" gate roll paper, and has reasonably large ink tanks. 

2 hours ago, Stef63 said:

Not sure about this. (... notion of getting a Visoflex 020 vs the new Visoflex 2)

Well, I had the Visoflex 020 before, when I had the Leica X typ 113, and it proved a reasonable EVF when I needed one for that camera. I decided to try to save the extra $300 or so since I found a stockist with new Visoflex 020 still available at discount, figuring that if it was totally disappointing on the M10-M I could return it and cough up the extra cash. I don't have an M11 so I didn't have to compare it to the M11+Visoflex setup. ;)

The Visoflex 020 arrived this morning and I spent a half hour or so testing it with the M10-M and some of my macro and long lenses (Macro-Elmarit-R 60, Elmarit-R 135, Elmar-R 180, and Sigma 600 mirror lens in Nikon F mount). All worked very nicely, the EVF on the M10-M proved clear and crisp for focusing. Good enough for my needs. :)

Lily - Santa Clara 2022
Leica M10 Monochrom + Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm 
ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 1/90

Leaves in Wind - Santa Clara 2022
ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 1/180
Orange filter

3 hours ago, ramarren said:

I have been very happy with the Epson P600 that I bought to replace my aging R2400. I thought about the P800, but it's a much larger printer, physically, and I don't often print to larger than 11x17 inch cut sheet. The P600 handles up to 13x19 cut sheet and 13" gate roll paper, and has reasonably large ink tanks. 

Well, I had the Visoflex 020 before, when I had the Leica X typ 113, and it proved a reasonable EVF when I needed one for that camera. I decided to try to save the extra $300 or so since I found a stockist with new Visoflex 020 still available at discount, figuring that if it was totally disappointing on the M10-M I could return it and cough up the extra cash. I don't have an M11 so I didn't have to compare it to the M11+Visoflex setup. ;)

The Visoflex 020 arrived this morning and I spent a half hour or so testing it with the M10-M and some of my macro and long lenses (Macro-Elmarit-R 60, Elmarit-R 135, Elmar-R 180, and Sigma 600 mirror lens in Nikon F mount). All worked very nicely, the EVF on the M10-M proved clear and crisp for focusing. Good enough for my needs. :)

Lily - Santa Clara 2022
ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 1/90

Leaves in Wind - Santa Clara 2022
ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 1/180
Orange filter

Attribution error on the second pic. The lens used was a Sigma 600/8 mirror lens with an orange filter.  :0

21 hours ago, Jacobjuul said:

read the question in my original post, that will answer your question. Or did you just want to be snarky?

LOL! :) 

After a week's shooting with the M10 Monochrom every day, testing and experimenting with lenses and filters, I have to say "I'm hooked!" Exposures out of the M10-M with my usual lenses, fitted with either an Orange or Green filter (depending on subject and effect desired) match anything I get out of my M4-2 + HP5 and similar tailored filtration. (Both cases, of course, presuming I don't mess up and get the focus, exposure, and framing right...!) 

Of course, I print via computer and inkjet only, so for the film camera I have to process the film, scan it, invert/render it, and then print ... where with the M10-M, I just transfer the file, make whatever tiny adjustments are needed, and print. That savings in time and tedious effort alone wins the M10-M a lot of points. 

AND of course with the M4-2 if I wanted to make a few color exposures, I'd just change the film. ;)  All things have their compromises...

G

"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/10/2022 at 7:35 PM, Stef63 said:

Not sure about this.

I posted a visual comparison here.  The new Visoflex 2 feels to me more integrated than an “afterthought” on an M body like the 020.

More specific, with the latest new M10x firmware the Visoflex 2 experience is closer to the experience I get on an M11 than the 020 on an M10x body. 

Disclaimer: I’m a spectacle user and when photographing with glasses I cannot see the the whole frame trough the 020.  With the new type 2 Visoflex I can see the whole frame which is on top of that brighter, sharper and more close to what you get through the rangefinder.

Yes the 2 is size wise a little bit wider than the 020, but overall I would not call it “slimmer” 

For me the external design of the new one is less attractive than the old one, but that is pretty personal. I think you trade height for width here and curves with corners - I am sticking with curves 😂. I don't wear glasses normally and don't use the Visoflex that often anyways. Won't update,, even though you are saying the image is sharper and brighter. If I would have an M10M and an M11, my take would be different, of course.