Arca plate with the Sl 601 and battery grip

Jk1002

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the battery grip almost permanently glued to my Sl 601. 

Question, for tripod usage, is there a base plate that works reasonable well for this combo? Ideally I want QD but am worried that the RRS generic plate does not fit. Hard to say from the dimensions and pictures. I know there is also a Leofoto which might be a bit more flexible.

Also I know Leica is selling a co branded version of the Peak Design tripod. Is that a decent combo? Specificlly, does the head moved after locking it down? No reviews I could find talk about that but that is often a problem it seems

Best

JK

Edited by Jk1002

• Jk1002 changed the title to Arca plate with the Sl 601 and battery grip

If I can find my battery grip, I can try later this week. What do you mean QD? I believe Leica used to rebrand/promote tripods from FLM. 

I have the RRS L plate for the 601 permanently attached as I never ran out of juice but do use the camera on a tripod frequently. 

Most Arca-Swiss plates will fit onto the battery grip but not as stable as the L plate. I believe there is a generic L plate for use with vertical battery grips. 

I have not been impressed by Peak Design's designs, especially their bags. I have not seen great reviews from landscape photographers on the Peak Design tripods. 

For a tripod, I stick to Gitzo and ProMediaGear and would get a RRS if a Gitzo needed replacement. All are expensive but I went through the same cost in multiple cheap tripods and heads until I bit the bullet. 

For heads I have the following Gitzo gimbal, Arca-Swiss P0 but have discovered pan & tilt heads with one knob to release both dimensions which works really well: Induro PHD3 and Acratech. Of course Barlebach and Riess make fantastic tripods and Reiss' heads are exceptional but the weight is too much for me to carry these. 

• Like 1

I think the RRS base  Plate might work with the grip, since the holes are in the same position on the grip.

I do prefer to use the SL with grip, have a hand strap attached, its easier to hold this way for me, my hand is more relaxed. Not so much a power issue. Its just a pain to take off.

Best

JK