Jump to content

Battery Issue


tedwill
 Share

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Leica M11.  I bought two batteries with it.  One battery will not charge past 75%.  I tried it with the USB connected to the camera and to the charger.  It stops charging (the lights flash on the charger at 75%).  Anyone else experience this?  Is there a fix, or should I replace the battery?

Thanks!

-Ted

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, tedwill said:

I have a Leica M11.  I bought two batteries with it.  One battery will not charge past 75%.  I tried it with the USB connected to the camera and to the charger.  It stops charging (the lights flash on the charger at 75%).  Anyone else experience this?  Is there a fix, or should I replace the battery?

Thanks!

-Ted

I presume you take the battery out and the camera says 75%. Have you tried leaving this battery in the charger for a longer period than normally needed? If the other battery charges to 100% I would return the other battery if it does not charge past 75%.

Not related but a warning to everyone. Once when I put the battery in the charger I was not concentrating and firstly put it down into the charger the wrong way, I cannot remember if I put it in normally or pressed too much..... result one of the 4 pins of the charger was a little out of position! I have since carefully pushed it back into position and the charger is working fine. It is a shame that there is no marker like a red dot on battery and charger to indicate correct insertion position.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been very inconsistent.  I have used the original cable from Leica with the charger and it just flashes green and orange as soon as I put the battery in.  The other battery, which didn't have this problem, had the same problem with the charger.  I used a brand new USB 3 power rated cable and plugged it into the camera and left it in all night.  The first battery did charge to 100%.  The second battery, which discharged down to 15%, I left in the charger all night.  The charger stopped flashing after a few minutes.  When I got up, the battery was still at 15%.  I put that same battery into the camera and used the same cable that charged the first battery.  So far, that seems to be working.  It's at 80% after an hour.  It could be that my charger is bad.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, tedwill said:

It's been very inconsistent.  I have used the original cable from Leica with the charger and it just flashes green and orange as soon as I put the battery in.  The other battery, which didn't have this problem, had the same problem with the charger.  I used a brand new USB 3 power rated cable and plugged it into the camera and left it in all night.  The first battery did charge to 100%.  The second battery, which discharged down to 15%, I left in the charger all night.  The charger stopped flashing after a few minutes.  When I got up, the battery was still at 15%.  I put that same battery into the camera and used the same cable that charged the first battery.  So far, that seems to be working.  It's at 80% after an hour.  It could be that my charger is bad.  

It does sound like the charger. I have two hopefully both don't go bad at the same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
I just unboxed a new M11 and it seems that the battery is faulty. I was able to start it up, but as I began to set it up I noticed that the battery rapidly dropped from 15 to 10 percent. 
 
After that, I removed the battery and put it into the supplied charger. The charging light turned green for a few seconds, and then both lights flashed rapidly. I removed the battery and tried charging it in the camera with a USB-C cable, but the camera will not turn on anymore. I also tried a different wall charger and cable that I connected to the charging base, but that also seemed to not do anything. 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 minutes ago, mjlamott said:
I just unboxed a new M11 and it seems that the battery is faulty. I was able to start it up, but as I began to set it up I noticed that the battery rapidly dropped from 15 to 10 percent. 
 
After that, I removed the battery and put it into the supplied charger. The charging light turned green for a few seconds, and then both lights flashed rapidly. I removed the battery and tried charging it in the camera with a USB-C cable, but the camera will not turn on anymore. I also tried a different wall charger and cable that I connected to the charging base, but that also seemed to not do anything. 

one of my battery flashes, still works fine..

but I would get it replaced if it the only one you have

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, mjlamott said:
I just unboxed a new M11 and it seems that the battery is faulty. I was able to start it up, but as I began to set it up I noticed that the battery rapidly dropped from 15 to 10 percent. 
 
After that, I removed the battery and put it into the supplied charger. The charging light turned green for a few seconds, and then both lights flashed rapidly. I removed the battery and tried charging it in the camera with a USB-C cable, but the camera will not turn on anymore. I also tried a different wall charger and cable that I connected to the charging base, but that also seemed to not do anything. 

Try leaving the battery in the charger. I couldn't charge mine in-camera until I charged it up past a certain minimum point when new.

Edited by hdmesa
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Try leaving the battery in the charger. I couldn't charge mine in-camera until I charged it up past a certain minimum point when new.

I was hopeful and left it on overnight, but it's dead.  Waiting for a new one from B&H and enjoying my brass paperweight in the meantime!

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mjlamott said:

I was hopeful and left it on overnight, but it's dead.  Waiting for a new one from B&H and enjoying my brass paperweight in the meantime!

That's dreadful to have to wait! Ugh. Throw that new one in the charger first this time!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...