Battery Issue

tedwill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Leica M11.  I bought two batteries with it.  One battery will not charge past 75%.  I tried it with the USB connected to the camera and to the charger.  It stops charging (the lights flash on the charger at 75%).  Anyone else experience this?  Is there a fix, or should I replace the battery?

Thanks!

-Ted

8 hours ago, tedwill said:

I have a Leica M11.  I bought two batteries with it.  One battery will not charge past 75%.  I tried it with the USB connected to the camera and to the charger.  It stops charging (the lights flash on the charger at 75%).  Anyone else experience this?  Is there a fix, or should I replace the battery?

Thanks!

-Ted

I presume you take the battery out and the camera says 75%. Have you tried leaving this battery in the charger for a longer period than normally needed? If the other battery charges to 100% I would return the other battery if it does not charge past 75%.

Not related but a warning to everyone. Once when I put the battery in the charger I was not concentrating and firstly put it down into the charger the wrong way, I cannot remember if I put it in normally or pressed too much..... result one of the 4 pins of the charger was a little out of position! I have since carefully pushed it back into position and the charger is working fine. It is a shame that there is no marker like a red dot on battery and charger to indicate correct insertion position.

• Thanks 1

It's been very inconsistent.  I have used the original cable from Leica with the charger and it just flashes green and orange as soon as I put the battery in.  The other battery, which didn't have this problem, had the same problem with the charger.  I used a brand new USB 3 power rated cable and plugged it into the camera and left it in all night.  The first battery did charge to 100%.  The second battery, which discharged down to 15%, I left in the charger all night.  The charger stopped flashing after a few minutes.  When I got up, the battery was still at 15%.  I put that same battery into the camera and used the same cable that charged the first battery.  So far, that seems to be working.  It's at 80% after an hour.  It could be that my charger is bad.  

6 minutes ago, tedwill said:

It's been very inconsistent.  I have used the original cable from Leica with the charger and it just flashes green and orange as soon as I put the battery in.  The other battery, which didn't have this problem, had the same problem with the charger.  I used a brand new USB 3 power rated cable and plugged it into the camera and left it in all night.  The first battery did charge to 100%.  The second battery, which discharged down to 15%, I left in the charger all night.  The charger stopped flashing after a few minutes.  When I got up, the battery was still at 15%.  I put that same battery into the camera and used the same cable that charged the first battery.  So far, that seems to be working.  It's at 80% after an hour.  It could be that my charger is bad.  

It does sound like the charger. I have two hopefully both don't go bad at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...
I just unboxed a new M11 and it seems that the battery is faulty. I was able to start it up, but as I began to set it up I noticed that the battery rapidly dropped from 15 to 10 percent. 

After that, I removed the battery and put it into the supplied charger. The charging light turned green for a few seconds, and then both lights flashed rapidly. I removed the battery and tried charging it in the camera with a USB-C cable, but the camera will not turn on anymore. I also tried a different wall charger and cable that I connected to the charging base, but that also seemed to not do anything. 
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 minutes ago, mjlamott said:
I just unboxed a new M11 and it seems that the battery is faulty. I was able to start it up, but as I began to set it up I noticed that the battery rapidly dropped from 15 to 10 percent. 

After that, I removed the battery and put it into the supplied charger. The charging light turned green for a few seconds, and then both lights flashed rapidly. I removed the battery and tried charging it in the camera with a USB-C cable, but the camera will not turn on anymore. I also tried a different wall charger and cable that I connected to the charging base, but that also seemed to not do anything. 

one of my battery flashes, still works fine..

but I would get it replaced if it the only one you have

5 hours ago, mjlamott said:

Try leaving the battery in the charger. I couldn't charge mine in-camera until I charged it up past a certain minimum point when new.

Edited by hdmesa

13 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Try leaving the battery in the charger. I couldn't charge mine in-camera until I charged it up past a certain minimum point when new.

I was hopeful and left it on overnight, but it's dead.  Waiting for a new one from B&H and enjoying my brass paperweight in the meantime!

5 hours ago, mjlamott said:

I was hopeful and left it on overnight, but it's dead.  Waiting for a new one from B&H and enjoying my brass paperweight in the meantime!

That's dreadful to have to wait! Ugh. Throw that new one in the charger first this time!

• 6 months later...