Jane Evelyn Atwood with the Leica M11

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From YouTube, here's a nice little short about the M11.  If you haven't yet convinced yourself that you need this camera, perhaps Jane Evelyn Atwood's insights will help. 

A trip to Brittany to get acquainted with it wouldn't hurt, either. 😎

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nice video, resultant pics a bit meh (read generic) imo. Not at all convincing to me why I would need an 11 over a 10 or my current 10-R BP (or even a 9 or 246 for that matter). Why one would prefer an M over other brands/types of camera, yes, but not the 11 per se. 

My family is going to an island there this summer, alas I'm staying home to look after the dog and get some alone time and work around the house done. Watching the video, not sure I'm making the best decision....

6 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Not at all convincing to me why I would need an 11 over a 10 or my current 10-R BP (or even a 9 or 246 for that matter). Why one would prefer an M over other brands/types of camera, yes, but not the 11 per se.

I think that was kind of her point - that the latest Leica M (the M11), is a worthy successor to the M line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, fotografr said:

I completely agree with her about shooting with the M, but I didn't see or hear anything that would make me want to move from my M10R to the M11.

If I had an M10R, I would likely stick with it, too.  It is nearly impossible to trade up without getting fleeced.

My current color cameras are an M-P 240 and a Q2, so the M11 is an attractive possibility - for me, given my current gear. 

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 4

There is a huge abyss between NEED and WANT. A need is something that is crucial to function and operate. A want is something that is just good to have.

18 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

If you haven't yet convinced yourself that you need this camera,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

If you haven't yet convinced yourself that you need this camera, perhaps Jane Evelyn Atwood's insights will help. 

Neither her 'insight', or anyone else's, will convince me I need an M11 because I don't.

Jane Evelyn Atwood's time was far better spent photographing Parisian prostitutes than involving herself in throw-away stuff like that.

Edited by Ouroboros

4 hours ago, Photoworks said:

great to see more women in the Leica world..

Agreed. 

Perhaps women photographers who use the M11 will have less contempt for it than what we hear on this forum from male photographers who shoot with M cameras.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Al Brown said:

There is a huge abyss between NEED and WANT. A need is something that is crucial to function and operate. A want is something that is just good to have.

Considering the half dozen plus perfectly mint M10's of all gens that have been traded in at the Leica Store Bellevue, I would say there's a lot more 'want' than actual 'need' going around in regards to the M11. I wonder how long dealers can sustain this level of trade-in? Thing is, once one is in this stratosphere of ownership, or decided to go there, the thinking is what's a few more thousand to get the (supposed) latest, greatest so why even consider a used M10? It's a luxury brand, and luxury brands cater to those with disposable income, of which there seems to be an abundance of at this moment (not for all of course). 

• Like 1

My own approach to Leica ownership is to skip a generation or two.  Same with autos. At that point the new features are clear and debugged.  My journey has been M3DS > M4BP > M7 > M9 > M11 and it continues to be a fun and rewarding one.

I have been and am very impressed with her work.

Edited by fsprow

2 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Considering the half dozen plus perfectly mint M10's of all gens that have been traded in at the Leica Store Bellevue. 

Can’t wait for market to do its thing: high offer, low demand = lower price 😇