New to Leica. Just purchased M3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Like the title says, I'm new to Leica and just purchased an early M3 (serial starts in 730) double stroke from KEH in "excellent" condition. Im not new to film cameras by any means so I was hoping someone on here might be able to confirm my suspicions that they found a new body and just put the old internals inside it. Does anyone have full trust in KEH that they wouldn't do something like that?

Exterior - In excellent shape, nearly brand new looking for its age. Strangely the rewind engraving arrow with an R is not all there, not even a hint of it ever existing. Did Leica never engrave some models with it?

Interior (take up spool/Curtain) - moderately clean but looks more used for its age. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

Finding a new body is highly unlikely and if one would be lucky to find a new oldstock example it would be crazily expensive. More likely it is a restoration. KEH is a most reliable dealer. It 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Finding a new body is highly unlikely and if one would be lucky to find a new oldstock example it would be crazily expensive. More likely it is a restoration. KEH is a most reliable dealer. It 

Got it. So the rewind engravings somehow were removed during restoration?

Some interesting M3 details here https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Leica/Leica-M3/1954-60/index.htm

and here, where double serial number is noted - worth checking  https://www.setadelstudios.com/blogs/news/104496518-the-best-of-the-best-leica-cameras-ever-made-leica-m3-854000-858000-1957

I'm sure the experts will me along soon.  

Meanwhile, your new M3 looks stunning. Enjoy!

• Like 1

I don't know anything about missing 'R' engravings, but if the camera looks like it has been re-finished or had its top replaced I suspect it's nothing to do with KEH. They might be able to justify having a faulty camera serviced to restore it to working order, but I doubt they'd be able to make back the cost of a cosmetic restoration. There may be an internal serial number that a technician could check to see if it matches the one on the top - if the top was (e.g.) replaced at the factory, it would have been engraved with the original number.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks everyone. I brought it to my local guy repair guy and he was greatly impressed and believes it is all original. While there I got a 50mm Sumicron collapsible. I have to say, I'm floored with the pictures. I thought my Canon AE1 Program with the 50 1.4 was nice, Whole other ball game!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello SweetMoses,

Welcome to the Forum.

There are a number of variations of the engravings on the rewind knobs of early M3's that were made before the final design was settled on.

Leitz/Leica is a Company that has made many variations, exceptions, etc. during the production cycles of many things that they have made.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

On 4/9/2022 at 3:44 AM, SweetMoses said:

Interior (take up spool/Curtain) - moderately clean but looks more used for its age. 

I don't know your expectations, but for a 70 year old camera it looks in good condition. Maybe a CLA would help to clean up old oil and grease and get the shutter timings adjusted. It is the slow speeds that can sound bad.