.85 Leica MA-127

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 hours ago, wizard said:

Well, I have neither an MP nor an M-A, just an M3 and M7, so the different masks in the MP and M-A are not obvious to me. Good to know that Leica went the extra mile and did design a dedicated mask for the M-A.

But not dedicated M-A masks for 0.85 VF,  untill now.

Non interrupted bottom line mask for 35/50 in M-A x0.85 would be a logic path, if Leica want(ed) to do.

At that price of "0.85 upgrade", even with "right masks", myself I would not ask for the x0.85 upgrade as happy user of x0.72 M-A and other M.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wizard said:

Same here, but the M3 viewfinder with its still higher magnification is something special to me. Simply the best finder to use 50, 90 and 135mm lenses.

Of course, no viewfinder can compare to M3 that I appreciate for so long ( not even MP x0.85 that I used some years ).

👍 Maybe better yet SBOOI ...usable on every camera +50mm  ?

But that is another story 😉

• Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb a.noctilux:

Maybe better yet SBOOI ...usable on every camera +50mm

Yes, I love that one, too! But no rangefinder, of course, so things are a little more complicated than with the M3 finder, where everything is integrated for three different focal lengths (and preview is also possible, thanks to the preview lever, which only the very first M3 did not have).

For fun ...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

...in all my years, I have never heard anyone opine that they blew a cracking shot because their Leica M VF got in the way. Conversely, I am yet to see a Leica M photographer attribute a particularly cracking shot to VF X or VF Y - it would be nice, though. And it would make this thread slightly less hilarious.

While we're at it, any ideas on why the "À La Carte" programme fizzled out? 😬

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, aesop said:

...in all my years, I have never heard anyone opine that they blew a cracking shot because their Leica M VF got in the way. Conversely, I am yet to see a Leica M photographer attribute a particularly cracking shot to VF X or VF Y - it would be nice, though. And it would make this thread slightly less hilarious.

While we're at it, any ideas on why the "À La Carte" programme fizzled out? 😬

As someone with glasses that shoots a lot of film the 0.85 (and the 1.2 and 1.4x modifiers) make a big difference when shooting the APO 90 at f/2 or the APO 135 at f/3.5.  It does not seem like much, but effectively the larger patch leaves less tolerance for focusing error.  May not seem like much, but it works well in long focal lengths.  Even more, the 0.58 works great up to 24mm lenses, and that means no external viewfinder which is just much easier.

It is just a useful tool if you use those focal lengths a lot.  It does not make a difference shooting a 50 summicron at f/4 or f/5.6.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Kind of polling 😉.

I wonder if Leica "REALLY" release M-A with  three choices of VF : 0.58, 0.72, 0.85

what would be the ratio of selling of each VF type

I use the 0.58 on my M6TTL but the 0.72 on my other Ms serve my purpose very well. I would imagine it would be something like 0.72 75%, 0.85 20% and 0.58 5%. Just a guess.

How is just adding a 1.25 or 1.4 magnifier different than a .85 viewfinder?  I have a 1.25 magnifier for my M4 and will use it in low light with a 50f1.2 so I am confused as how it would be any better with a .85 except for the convenience of not having to screw or unscrew the accessory?

On 7/4/2022 at 6:55 PM, ktmrider2 said:

How is just adding a 1.25 or 1.4 magnifier different than a .85 viewfinder?  I have a 1.25 magnifier for my M4 and will use it in low light with a 50f1.2 so I am confused as how it would be any better with a .85 except for the convenience of not having to screw or unscrew the accessory?

In my experience, the VF contrast became problematic when there is less light.

With some VF adding x1.25 mag. can be fine (M-A/MP as example), with other VF(M4 ! ) not as good as I hope for.

Only experimentations can tell.