Summicron-M 28 f/2 ASPH. matte black finish with light green engravings

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...or on the M10-Monochrome...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Surprisingly even nice on an M11 silver chrome body...so many choices...Leica and M lenses are a perfect match, not just technically.

• Like 4

On 4/7/2022 at 4:28 PM, Al Brown said:

There is a new lens in town.
This design variant of the Summicron-M 28 f/2 ASPH. features a matte black finish and light green engravings. It has an integrated lens hood which extends via quick twist.
The EU price is €4,300.00, just 50 euros more than the regular black anodized version.

More information: https://leica-camera.com/en-int/photography/lenses/m/summicron-m-28-f2-asph-matt-black-paint-finish

I managed to pick one up from Leica Mayfair this morning.  I asked late Friday when I saw the DPreview article and they got back to me this morning saying they had just one which had arrived today, so I bought it!  Can't wait for it to arrive.

I was considering the Safari version, but this is better for me, more unobtrusive...

A joy to use on the M11 as well - the black finishes are a perfect match. 

• Like 1

With M10P not black 😉 and his little brother Summaron

• Like 6

8 hours ago, IMAGEPOWER said:

...or on the M10-Monochrome...

The "SUMMICRON-M 1:2/28 ASPH." text on the non removable hood seems rather redundant and non stealthy - given the standard '28' text on the side of the lens barrel and clear to see aperture scale.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How is the finish? How does it compare? 
The lens is aluminium I think? 
So is it the same robust matte black finish as the M11? 
Is it very different from the regular black ones?
Always wanted the 28 Safari (or Kravitz) in just regular black... but now they have it in matte 😂 Afraid it will be a weird match with the black paint MP...

On 4/11/2022 at 3:02 PM, Tessar. said:

I managed to pick one up from Leica Mayfair this morning.  I asked late Friday when I saw the DPreview article and they got back to me this morning saying they had just one which had arrived today, so I bought it!  Can't wait for it to arrive.

I was considering the Safari version, but this is better for me, more unobtrusive...

The finish is very "matt" in feel as well as looks.  The focus tab/ring are a one piece construction, i.e. the tab is metal.   I'm guessing it's outer construction is aluminium alloy.  I'm pretty sure the other (non limited) version is annodised aluminium alloy, with a brass optical cell, too?

Here it is mounted on my M262

• Like 3

I received mine yesterday.

The striking thing for me was how smooth the focussing is.  All of my other lenses are older pre-ASPH designs.  Many have had recent CLA’s and don’t think any are particularly problematic. But this lens is noticeably smoother than them all, other than a BP 50:1.4 v3 (brass, with focussing knurl).  This 28:2 is  certainly the smoothest I’ve used with a focus tab, it just seems to glide into focus it’s awesome   

It’s the first time I’ve bought new by the way...Is this the case with all new / ASPH lenses and just an example of ‘progress’ ?  Or is this lens particularly smooth?

Some of my other lenses really feel their age now 😁

• Like 2

10 hours ago, grahamc said:

I received mine yesterday.

The striking thing for me was how smooth the focussing is.  All of my other lenses are older pre-ASPH designs.  Many have had recent CLA’s and don’t think any are particularly problematic. But this lens is noticeably smoother than them all, other than a BP 50:1.4 v3 (brass, with focussing knurl).  This 28:2 is  certainly the smoothest I’ve used with a focus tab, it just seems to glide into focus it’s awesome   

It’s the first time I’ve bought new by the way...Is this the case with all new / ASPH lenses and just an example of ‘progress’ ?  Or is this lens particularly smooth?

Some of my other lenses really feel their age now 😁

This lens comes close to being perfect. Just bought the regular 28 Cron ASPH and the dealer made no fuss about exchanging it for the special edition - for the same price.  And: The regular lens I just got had one flaw that irritated - the focal length ring wasn't properly calibrated. Meaning the ring could still be moved beyond 2 - whereas on the other long end it barely clicked at 16.

Maybe this wouldn't annoy other users. For the price? I find it annoying. But problem solved, the Special Edition is a truly accomplished piece of metal and glass. 

This lens is already a classic. Spoke with a dealer in Asia who sold lots of M10-R BP bodies - all this while they were hard to get in Europe and the U.S. The dealer says he still didn't get any of those special 28 Crons. If supply is tight in Asia where collectors pay higher prices, you're holding an even more special lens. But again, this lens is a pleasure to use, not a value to store.

• Like 1

Just received mine and it really is an excellent lens and beautiful design, the only thing is that I find the lens hood to be quite stiff when retracting it, have others found this? Or is this just something that 'happens' with a new lens and it loosens up over time?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tessar. said:

The finish is very "matt" in feel as well as looks.  The focus tab/ring are a one piece construction, i.e. the tab is metal.   I'm guessing it's outer construction is aluminium alloy.  I'm pretty sure the other (non limited) version is annodised aluminium alloy, with a brass optical cell, too?

Here it is mounted on my M262

Thank you very much!
Oh well.... the piano black MP finish and this super matt really would not match well... 
I guess I keep dreaming of the day they release a regular one ... Which they would probably never do 😕 

10 hours ago, SJH said:

Just received mine and it really is an excellent lens and beautiful design, the only thing is that I find the lens hood to be quite stiff when retracting it, have others found this? Or is this just something that 'happens' with a new lens and it loosens up over time?

Mine is a bit fiddly also, and yes tight - also noticed that the first time I opened and closed it, it left a little bit of debris from the machining process (not an issue but just demonstrates that it all fits together pretty tightly as it hadnt fallen off prior).  I’m not sure whether it loosens up as this is the first I’ve purchased new but it’s defiantly quite snug. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SJH said:

Mine was a bit tight  to open and retract the first couple of times, but now it feels how I imagine it should. (Smooth, with a positive click, to lock into place at the end of its travel.)

• Like 2

First time extending the hood was very tight. Now it’s perfect. Remember it’s a twist and turn. See the photo that shows the guide on the inside of the shade. Lucky to get this lens.

Looks great on an M10M, M11, & Reporter as demonstrated earlier.  Not as much on a MP black paint but still nice.

Agree that the focus is smooth. Output is outstanding as expected. This is my second 28. My first is a Summaron.

It won’t surprise me if they don’t extend the run past 450. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LeicaS2 said:

It won’t surprise me if they don’t extend the run past 450. 

I just hope they would finally make a regular version after this run of 450 runs out... the design is awesome and matches well with a kit of 50Lux ASPH and 90Cron-Apo... 

And you actually really helped me with your comment, without probably knowing, because I want to get a new 28 for my MP and hold out of a regular version of this retractable hood design... it is a bit odd to mix super shiny with super matt 🙃 

Hello (new here)
I just had the chance to buy mine. Here are my impressions :

The finger grip of the focusing ring is full metal and not plastic, first time for me and very very pleasant.
The black is really really "matte" and almost rough to the touch. I wonder if it will not catch the dust too much. But it's very beautiful.
For me it fits perfectly with my M10-D, it's not exactly exactly the same matte black but very close.
Agree too that the focus is really really smooth. But I have another limited series (summicron 35 black chrome 2015) and I already found it very creamy.
I had no problem with the lens hood, it slides well, neither too tight nor too loose (fingers crossed it stays that way) It's the first time I have a lens hood with this design, it's very pleasant and it could become a standard. But I admit that I also really like the retro design (lens hood) of my summicron 35.
On the other hand, I find that the white/green color is not equal in all places. It is very dense and clear in some places and sliiightly darker in other places, as if the brush had less ink depending on the places.
And finaly, the front of the lens sooo beautiful without any writing on it. It should be a standard.

Thanks

Edited by Flamboyant
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, Flamboyant said:

Hello (new here)
I just had the chance to buy mine. Here are my impressions :

The finger grip of the focusing ring is full metal and not plastic, first time for me and very very pleasant.
The black is really really "matte" and almost rough to the touch. I wonder if it will not catch the dust too much. But it's very beautiful.
For me it fits perfectly with my M10-D, it's not exactly exactly the same matte black but very close.
Agree too that the focus is really really smooth. But I have another limited series (summicron 35 black chrome 2015) and I already found it very creamy.
I had no problem with the lens hood, it slides well, neither too tight nor too loose (fingers crossed it stays that way) It's the first time I have a lens hood with this design, it's very pleasant and it could become a standard. But I admit that I also really like the retro design (lens hood) of my summicron 35.
On the other hand, I find that the white/green color is not equal in all places. It is very dense and clear in some places and sliiightly darker in other places, as if the brush had less ink depending on the places.
And finaly, the front of the lens sooo beautiful without any writing on it. It should be a standard.

Thanks

What a combo! Wow!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some photos (amateur, be indulgent) of the rendering with the summicron 28

• Like 1