M10 EVF

Andrea Bianchi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I everyone,

I'm planning to buy an EVF for my M10 but I''m not sure which one, if the older model or the new one that just came out with the M11.

For those of you who tried both, should I take the deal and go whit the older one that as of today I can find used for less than $400 or the improvements in the new one are so extraordinary to justify the extra money?

Well, at the moment the new one doesn’t work with the M10, so if you really need something now you only have one option.

When it does work (however long that might take) the performance is expected to be the same, but the ergonomics of the new one better.  If you might upgrade from M10 to M11 at some point in the future, then buy the new one, because the old one will not work on the M11.

On 4/8/2022 at 3:56 AM, thogr said:

I bought my M10 last Sunday, and immediately ordered the new EVF, only to find out that the firmware is still not released, even though Leica says "...the new firmware released in March 2022" on the web page  https://leica-camera.com/en-GB/product/visoflex-2-black

Interestingly, this now (April 14, 2022) says "May 2022".

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

39 minutes ago, JeffWright said:

Yes but it will work in cropped mode on the M10 variants I’m told all we won’t benefit from the additional resolution I heard. 

1 hour ago, JeffWright said:

May it be May then, maybe. - I have a suspicion they are holding it back, so all M11 users can get an EVF first (and they only have one option). If too many M10 users upgrade then M11 users are out of options and face waiting times for the EVF. This EVF device was in development supposedly for quite some time (I assume minimum 1 year), and so that is ample time to develop a firmware for the M10 alongside. I also bought mine in March in good faith that they deliver on the March announcement.

6 hours ago, Malcolm Kays said:

Now changed to May!  The Visoflex 2 is also backwards-compatible with Leica’s M10 models (M10, M10 Monochrom, M10R, M10-P and M10-D) once they have been updated with the new firmware released in May 2022.

Yes, once the M10x firmware has been issued, it would be backwards compatible.

However, it will operate in a cropped resolution, so it will only display the same resolution as the older 020 EVF. There is no firmware update that will address this. It is a hardware limitation (two different imaging sensors between the M10 and the M11) The other difference is that the EVF 2 won't have a built in GPS as the M11 has that feature natively. It also reportedly blocks some access to the Shutter Speed Dial.

With that said, on the plus side of the newer model, the OLED might provide better colors, less, EVF lag, less smearing, etc., has a better, all-metal build and of course if you are planning on getting an M11, it will provide better resolution

2 hours ago, bherman01545 said:

Yes, once the M10x firmware has been issued, it would be backwards compatible.

However, it will operate in a cropped resolution, so it will only display the same resolution as the older 020 EVF. There is no firmware update that will address this. It is a hardware limitation (two different imaging sensors between the M10 and the M11) The other difference is that the EVF 2 won't have a built in GPS as the M11 has that feature natively. It also reportedly blocks some access to the Shutter Speed Dial.

With that said, on the plus side of the newer model, the OLED might provide better colors, less, EVF lag, less smearing, etc., has a better, all-metal build and of course if you are planning on getting an M11, it will provide better resolution

“Might” being the key word here. $800 (including tax) for minimal real improvement (and removing GPS) makes this EVF of questionable value for M10 users. I ordered it the day it was released (knowing I could return it).

Erik

Edited by egrossman

8 minutes ago, egrossman said:

“Might” being the key word here. $800 (including tax) for minimal real improvement (and removing GPS) makes this EVF of questionable value for M10 users. I ordered it the day it was released (knowing I could return it).

Erik

I guess that it really depends on whether or not you currently own an M11 or plan to get one. Otherwise, (like you had said) it may of questionable value to M10x users