I’ve now had 3 x sl2 bodies fail.

Gavin Cato

I was considering switching from DSLR to SL system last year for my ninja wedding work. But after I tried the camera (SL2-S), I changed my mind. Yes, it's a beautiful and well-built camera with a fantastic output image. But, it didn't match my criteria of speed, weight, and service (I live in Mexico). So after reading the OP and others' experiences, I'm sure to confirm my NO choice because I would need a body for demanding situations and with hard use. And with the lack of assistance here, i'm sorry but...
I happily stay with DSLR + M system. They both give me what I want w/o problems and stress.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dennis said:

I was considering switching from DSLR to SL system last year for my ninja wedding work. But after I tried the camera (SL2-S), I changed my mind. Yes, it's a beautiful and well-built camera with a fantastic output image. But, it didn't match my criteria of speed, weight, and service (I live in Mexico). So after reading the OP and others' experiences, I'm sure to confirm my NO choice because I would need a body for demanding situations and with hard use. And with the lack of assistance here, i'm sorry but...
I happily stay with DSLR + M system. They both give me what I want w/o problems and stress.

For what its worth I came from a Canon DSLR and M rangefinder combination for 10 years which is a good one as I did like how my 1DmkIII and M8 colours were relatively close.

That said the SL is my personal favourite when it comes down to a stress free, bulletproof system with a few not great areas. Service is one of these and flash was the other.

Overall I would rate the SL2 much more highly than a DSLR + M because its faster and lighter to work with an SL2S+(24-90)+(11-23)+24f1.4M +35f1.4M. With the 24-90 doing 80-90% of the work, I would pack a the rest of the lenses in a small ready access pouch (less than 1.5kg) on my waist for the odd ball shots. On the other side of my waist. Add a spare SL2. Add a spare flash. Done. 

More ninja 😌 

Doing DSLR and M isn't lighter and easier. It is a very different mindset to switch in 5-10 seconds from one to the other. DSLR AF isn't exacting at the 24-70 often using depth of field to cover mistakes. In a fast paced environment the M doesn't get used much because you need to change settings. And if flash is needed matching imagery for both is a pain. 

As more professionals get into the SL system (hopefully) we will probably see a higher number of failures and issues due to heavy workloads but like the M it will take time for Leica to refine the SL system.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lx1713 said:

For what its worth I came from a Canon DSLR and M rangefinder combination for 10 years which is a good one as I did like how my 1DmkIII and M8 colours were relatively close.

Love the combination

its faster and lighter to work with an SL2S+(24-90)+(11-23)+24f1.4M +35f1.4M. With the 24-90 doing 80-90% of the work, I would pack a the rest of the lenses in a small ready access pouch (less than 1.5kg) on my waist for the odd ball shots. On the other side of my waist. Add a spare SL2. Add a spare flash. Done. 

Don't like zoom.

When I use M and dslr, it's not combined. It's like a while with a camera + one lens, for a while. Then switch to the next system, for a while. 

As more professionals get into the SL system (hopefully) we will probably see a higher number of failures and issues due to heavy workloads but like the M it will take time for Leica to refine the SL system.

We hope so... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dennis said:

Love the combination

Don't like zoom.

When I use M and dslr, it's not combined. It's like a while with a camera + one lens, for a while. Then switch to the next system, for a while. 

We hope so... 

I love using primes but these days its in the studio or commercial, location work not events or weddings. And I love the 24-90 because of how versatile it is. Much better than the canon/nikon DSLR ones 

• 3 weeks later...

It happens to my sl2 too

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 5 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/18/2022 at 3:25 PM, zhui said:

It happens to my sl2 too

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ouch. !

any updates on this ? What is the cause ?

Gavin : also, of all your 4 SL, any conclusions what was causing this ?

• 9 months later...
On 6/26/2022 at 6:07 PM, opera207 said:

I sold my sl2-s, bought a Panasonic S5 instead, light weight and great, very good price. Panasonic body+ SL apo lenses=heaven.

Certainly.  The button array is like a church organ. 

• Haha 2

System error with my SL2 / 100-400 combo the first shot I used it during a trip to Spitsbergen / Svalbard end of September.... No way to put it on life again. Shot all about 700 photos of Svalbard, Island and Faroer with the Q3/28mm (👍, Q3 delivered great), the SL2 is now in Wetzlar... Received information from Wetzlar - shutter defect, repair time for SL2 at the moment approximately 2 month, will be handled as goodwill. 2 month without SL2, but Q3 and M11 are awake 😂

• Haha 1

Really thought about selling all of my SL2-equipment (100-400, 90-280, 16-35. 24-90) and returning to Nikon....but .... No! I like the Leica-look and feel and don't want two different systems... So I have to be patient and wait 2 month. I'll buy the SL3 and keep my SL2 as backup for situations like that in the arctic.

• Like 2

Am 26.10.2023 um 20:35 schrieb Gavin Cato:

I love the "repair under good will bit". They said that exact same line to me with a 2 month old body. I was like "gee thanks guys, how gracious of you repairing it under warranty as per your legal obligations, I'm so honoured".

Hmm - you are right, but my SL2 is about 3 years old, out of warranty 😢 so I am glad to hear that Leica will do the repair under good will...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, frame-it said:

has anyone ever got a system error when using an M or R lens?

NEVER,  For my R and M lenses I only use Leica original adapters.

Hopefully  I never will, however some years ago when I owned the M240, it locked up on several occasions whenever I attached R lenses too it.

I found the ( M240) guilty and it was disposed off immediately, never to buy another M again.

Ken.

On 10/29/2023 at 12:45 AM, HPFM said:

Hmm - you are right, but my SL2 is about 3 years old, out of warranty 😢 so I am glad to hear that Leica will do the repair under good will...

makes me think they probably know very well what the problem is and are trying to stay hush.

• Like 1