GPS tracker for your expensive photo gear?

aksclix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anybody here uses any GPS tracker for photo gear?

I am reading that apple airtags might be a good tool but the catch is, it only works when it's near an iPhone to feed off of. Don't like dealing with "ifs" and "buts"
Are dog/cat trackers any useful? Wish ALL modern gear came with a built-in tracker! It's scary to be traveling with expensive gear. 

12 minutes ago, Sandokan said:

Problem with trackers is keeping up with fresh batteries. I bought a bundle of such trackers once, but each time I needed to locate a device, battery was dead. 

Oh I thought the airtags batteries last a year?

On 4/7/2022 at 6:28 AM, aksclix said:

Anybody here uses any GPS tracker for photo gear?

I am reading that apple airtags might be a good tool but the catch is, it only works when it's near an iPhone to feed off of. Don't like dealing with "ifs" and "buts"
Are dog/cat trackers any useful? Wish ALL modern gear came with a built-in tracker! It's scary to be traveling with expensive gear. 

I'm using a set of airtags for my camera backpack and my camera messenger bag. They work really well.

Everybody has an iPhone nowadays, tracking is not a problem from my personal experience.

I dropped an Airtag in my checked in suitcase, I could see its location inside the airport up to the moment it was loaded on the plane. If that's not enough for you...

And yes, Airtag's battery life is 1 year and the battery is just a couple of euros.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

I'm using a set of airtags for my camera backpack and my camera messenger bag. They work really well.

Everybody has an iPhone nowadays, tracking is not a problem from my personal experience.

I dropped an Airtag in my checked in suitcase, I could see its location inside the airport up to the moment it was loaded on the plane. If that's not enough for you...

And yes, Airtag's battery life is 1 year and the battery is just a couple of euros.

that's great.. my main purpose would be the possibility of tracking IF they get stolen... The burglars could have Android devices.. but yea something is definitely better than nothing.. I really like the form factor and convenience of airtags

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’d go with airtags. There are non-Apple options like Tile and Chipolo but those require people to have a Tile or Chipolo app running in the background on people’s phones. In comparison, airtags will get scanned by all iPhones nearby and there are way more iPhone users than there are people running chipolo or tile apps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Am 9.4.2022 um 09:38 schrieb Simone_DF:

I do the same. Even one tag on my key ring... 

• Like 1