Tele for equine photography

Olaf_ZG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Never thought I would be asking advice for a lens as it always so personal, but now I would like to hear your thoughts. Bear with me.

Last year I bought a Q (sold it as 28mm was just to short), moved on to M (m8/mm) and added a SL. The latter to be used with M lenses from 28 till 75. To me, I bought a perfect set of M lenses and though one always has sth to wish for, my needs are covered.

However, I bought the SL as I knew I wanted to photograph a friend doing horse riding. A zoom is needed.

Last weekend I did a trial session: with a borrowed fuji (xt20 + 50-230), I shot one day around the stables and the parcours.

Within the stables, up to 75mm is enough, so here I am covered. Outside though the need of a zoom became clear and I analyzed my focus lengths. 20% from 70-100, 10% from 200-300, and 10% above 300mm.

Based in this I concluded that I do need a zoom starting at 70mm, so the Sigma’s are out. As shutterspeed is around 1/500 or quicker, OIS doesn’t play a role. Money does though. So basically I have 4 options: a second hand 90-280, a second hand P 70-200/2.8 or a P 70-200/4 or the P 70-300.

Preferences of want are as above, though it might not be what I need. And here I would like your help: what does one need for outside shooting with a SL capturing horse riding? And I must admit, the very cheap combo from fuji did a great job, I might not need anything else. Last but not least, images don’t have sales purposes, and horse riders don’t tend to be pixelpeepers 😇

thank you all.

If weight is an issue, I'd consider the latter two.  If you suspect might find yourself utilizing the lens in other scenarios or feel the need for more reach with speed and can deal with the weight, the F2.8, which I own with the STC1.4, is a very, very good lens as is the extender. If you can't bear the thought of leaving anything on the table in terms of IQ or think you might not wind up keeping the lens, the Leica probably represents the best and lowest cost option over the long haul given its superior IQ and resale value.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

Within the stables, up to 75mm is enough, so here I am covered. Outside though the need of a zoom became clear and I analyzed my focus lengths. 20% from 70-100, 10% from 200-300, and 10% above 300mm.

Based in this I concluded that I do need a zoom starting at 70mm, so the Sigma’s are out. As shutterspeed is around 1/500 or quicker, OIS doesn’t play a role. Money does though. So basically I have 4 options: a second hand 90-280, a second hand P 70-200/2.8 or a P 70-200/4 or the P 70-300.

There is something missing here, 50% from 100-200?

If you are ruling out the sigma’s because it starts at 100 (100-400), then that would also rule out the 90-280. The next question is do you need 2.8 for isolation or low light with and without a TC? Then again, do you want to be fiddling with a TC under these to get to 300+? 
Another option might be M+75 over your shoulder when needed and the SL+ 100-400 which would cover your full range without fiddling with  lenses.
Personally, I would go with the 70-200/4. A horse and rider are big, you can approach as needed and can direct/retake a shot to be closer rather than going with a longer lens. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the input, and those received by pm. I am still thinking and will do some more test shots. The 90-280 is only affordable second hand to me, so if it drops by at my dealer I might grab it. If not, I might need to try one of the 70-200’s.

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

What about the Panasonic 70-200  Pro?

One of those I am considering, at the moment the f4 version is on my mind as basically f4 should be sufficient and it is easier to handhold for longer period for sure. I could get a converter if I really need the reach …

The 90-280 shines in IQ - the images have a brilliance I dont see from the 70-300Pana. The 70300 is quite good though.

The 90280 is big and heavy compared to the P70300, so I more often carry the Pana 70300.

The other question is shallow DOF - for Indoor-Sports and Portrait I would prefer a 70200/2.8 lens.

I would imagine that a 70200/2.8+TC1.4 could be a flexible combo.

Personally I own the 90280. If the weight size is fine for you then I would recommend this lens, just because it is optically so good and offers f4.0 at 280mm.

Thanks all for your input. My (not so local) dealer just offered me a secondhand panasonic 70-200/f4 plus 1.4 converter for a great price, so the decision has been made.

I guess the converter won’t be used that much, but it is nice to have if needed.

10 hours ago, Likaleica said:

One  key thing about photos of equines is to sit or kneel.  It makes the horse look more majestic and is a better angle than average adult height.

Great advice which I for sure will follow, till now I didn’t do it, but after going through some images online I noticed it makes a big difference.

• Like 1