Circular Polarizer Thoughts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

A circular pol filter is a linear pol filter laminated with a diffuser behind it to depolarize the light. 

With greatest respect, not quite true - it's a linear polariser with a quarter wave plate behind it to create a rotating polarisation.

This explains it far better than I can: https://www.apioptics.com/about-api/api-blog/api-news/how-circular-polarization-works/

• Like 1

bottom line is a CPF could be of use depending on what and where you photograph. The CPF will reduce/eliminate glare on water, pavement/street, flora, leaves, etc of course making object darker, so I would be aware of that if you also use any BW contrast filters. You may get more contrast than you want or expect.

I used long time ago pol filters to give the Photos more "Pop" during film times, or to reduce glare.
Today I use it anymore as more "pop" can be reached easily while editing and if there is glare/reflection i try to use it as stylish part of the composition.

I would consider to buy a pol filter only if I would shoot things I need to reduce the glare or reflections from shooting thru glass for example,
or intense macro work but for this I consider the Q2 not the right camera.

If so, I would get a B+W or Heliopan, however a high quality product.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 1