No strap lugs protection on Leica M10 or M11 - Aluminum plate on m11 - Why?

cnguyen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just acquired an M246 companion to my M240P and both have strap lug protections.

Pics shot with my M246 and 28-50-35 Tri Elmar.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Am I the only one here to realize what paint is so thin on M plates, it worn not by the rings, but strap material? Especially some fat, kinky strap like on first page.

Rings worn out lugs.

I'm puzzled why nobody makes eveready, two parts cases for digital M, like it was made by Leica for film Ms.

Or half case with strap attached to it (while camera is secured by tripod screw)

I had new Cosina R2M once, it came with aftermarket half-case. Those are made on cheap Cosina SLR chassis with lugs placed in wrong place. Camera always goes lens up while on the neck strap. It pissed me of and I stitched strap rings to the half-case where camera was balanced well.

If strap is attached to the half-case it doesn't worn paint and rings are not filing the camera lugs.

13 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Am I the only one here to realize what paint is so thin on M plates, it worn not by the rings, but strap material?

No, many understand that.  The small leather donut I use under the Leica 14312 strap prevents the strap from rubbing the top plate. No ring involved.  I dislike cases.  Different strokes…

Jeff

35 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

No, many understand that.  The small leather donut I use under the Leica 14312 strap prevents the strap from rubbing the top plate. No ring involved.  I dislike cases.  Different strokes…

Jeff

Sorry, but here is no difference between strap leather and donut leather.  But many don't understand. 😁

18 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Sorry, but here is no difference between strap leather and donut leather.  But many don't understand. 😁

No, you don’t understand.  The donut is stationery, no movement. And it’s thick enough so that nothing touches the top plate (including the plastic protectors at the end of the 14312 straps). The proof is that my top plates… multiple cameras including soft black paint… are still pristine. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just use elongated protection discs. Been using these for years from company called. 'deadcameras'. Does the job and no marks so far. Not affiliated with them .

People also forget when using Peak design straps that the attachment are plastic and that can still swing around and hit the top of the camera. Over time it can abrasive imo.

All the best

Thanks to @FHPdoc for the shout out.  As they pointed out, the leather I use is a medium thickness which provides a little protection from the ring hitting the body.  Specifically on the Madison stitched strap, I also designed the strap use a 1/2" split ring which is on the small side.  Helps keep things tidy.

While I make leather "donuts" on request, when I started making straps I specifically didn't build protectors in to cut down on bulk.  I found a lot of people that use my straps don't mind the wear that comes with using the camera and prefer to have rig with fewer doodads. 

Plenty of options for different needs.  Totally understand keeping things pristine for when the GAS hits and you have to flip your gear.  

• Like 1

I have been using a Mcmurray and Blonde Madison St camera strap for the last couple years and love it.  Like a lot of my favorite equipment, it works so well that I don't even think about it.  It is just perfect for me.

Edited by michaelcole
added model of camera strap
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 3:01 AM, cnguyen said:

I was looking for a used M10 or M10P and noticed that they have no strap lugs protection on them. Most of the M10s I looked at had ugly strap lugs wear on them with either on the chrome or black finish.

Aluminum plate on M11 ? I prefer the more expensive brass plate for the money I spent on Leicas.

Both of my M240p and M246 monochrom have strap lugs protection on them .

Quickly solved on my M10R Black Paint, a small piece of black tape....

• Like 1

I don't have a BP and tend to keep cameras a while, but one day they get flipped and condition is important to the buyer and therefore me. 

I put a bit of black tape on the edges the moment I got the camera (it was secondhand but mint, and as someone who's only had secondhand Leicas I wanted to prolong that look) 

The leather donuts came with some strap I don't use anymore 

But the artisan and artist case really protects the top corner from impacts (less so on the ISO dial side, but it needs space there to operate the ISO dial) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 6:46 AM, lct said:

Bit ridiculous no? Those dentists, lawyers, doctors or engineers disguised as photographers. Like a photographer trying to take photos with a stethoscope sort of :D. Just kidding.

Actually there are many dentists, lawyers, doctors and engineers I know, who take great photographs. You see, they have an eye for detail.

Edited by rramesh

1 hour ago, rramesh said:

Actually there are many dentists, lawyers, doctors and engineers I know, who take great photographs. You see, they have an eye for detail.

Hehe i am one of them but i don't try to disguise myself as photographer. I don't wear a chef's hat when I cook an egg either but it's just me :D.

• Haha 1

I always avoid having any metal (or hard plastic) on straps.  This one was made with a domestic sewing machine using heavyweight 20mm nylon webbing and leather.  The little leather ring was cut from the same material.  Works for me on the M10-R and the Q.  Much nicer to use IMHO than the current Leica leather strap - and even the original nylon and rubber M strap that was the default through so many iterations.

38 minutes ago, chris_tribble said:

Much nicer to use IMHO than the current Leica leather strap - and even the original nylon and rubber M strap that was the default through so many iterations.

The ‘default’ strap you refer to is the 14312 (recently discontinued), which I still use on every M.  On my M10 variants, without built-in protectors, I add a similar leather O-ring, which prevents any top plate abrasion.  I especially like the shoulder pad on the strap, since its grip prevents slippage,  yet is still comfortable, supple and flexible.  That’s partly what distinguishes this strap from other camera straps I’ve owned.

Jeff

8 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

The ‘default’ strap you refer to is the 14312 (recently discontinued), which I still use on every M.  On my M10 variants, without built-in protectors, I add a similar leather O-ring, which prevents any top plate abrasion.  I especially like the shoulder pad on the strap, since its grip prevents slippage,  yet is still comfortable, supple and flexible.  That’s partly what distinguishes this strap from other camera straps I’ve owned.

Jeff

I agree with you Jeff, but better still is the 42 162 strap (also discontinued), it has a wider shoulder pad and is fully adjustable.

3 minutes ago, Matlock said:

I agree with you Jeff, but better still is the 42 162 strap (also discontinued), it has a wider shoulder pad and is fully adjustable.

I’ve tried it, but prefer the 14312.  Diff’rent strokes…

Jeff

• Like 1

And even better than the old Leica strap is the Journey Camera Friendship (previously known as the Upstrap) that is based on the old Leica strap They also make one with a leather pad, but the non-slip quality of this one (more than the old Leica strap) is some serious peace of mind. 

https://journeycamera.com/camera-carry-system/small-f-friendship-pad-upstrap