No strap lugs protection on Leica M10 or M11 - Aluminum plate on m11 - Why?

cnguyen

4 minutes ago, PCPix said:

Put some ‘helicopter’ tape on your pristine body... it’s the clear 3M tape that’s used on the leading edges of helicopter rotors and Porsche rear flares to prevent gravel rash. 

So did I

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cnguyen said:

Here is the perfect example of Leica M10 P for sale in one of the Leica stores in the US. Do I want to pay over $6000 for this crap?

Funny.  Some would actually pay more if it were brass shinning through...

External rubber bits deteriorate over time, so why probably Leica removed them.

You can always use tape or a strap like this to protect. Also a leather half case will ensure that your camera stays pristine, at least in the areas the case covers.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by rramesh

3 hours ago, rramesh said:

External rubber bits deteriorate over time, so why probably Leica removed them.

You can always use tape or a strap like this to protect. Also a leather half case will ensure that your camera stays pristine, at least in the areas the case covers.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I read some posts in this forum. The leather protector of the strap also causes the user mark.

1 hour ago, GFONG said:

I read some posts in this forum. The leather protector of the strap also causes the user mark.

I guess that's why they are called 'user marks'. As you use it, there will be marks. Even rubbing the body with your fingers, will over time cause black chrome to become more grey in the corners, edges and surface. 🙂

• Like 1

Am 7.4.2022 um 03:14 schrieb cnguyen:

Of course not. I want to protect all my Leica investments. I will only buy pristine Leica samples.

... if you want to invest - buy gold.
if you want to work with a camera - buy a leica.
if you want to protect the edge of your work equipment - you can do it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, otto.f said:

I thought we liked wear? Then we can be like Capa and Salgado. Why are we here in the first place?

Bit ridiculous no? Those dentists, lawyers, doctors or engineers disguised as photographers. Like a photographer trying to take photos with a stethoscope sort of :D. Just kidding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For the M Type 240-series, one could buy new, Leica-manufactured base plates that already had brassed edges. One can still buy painted metal Leica M body caps, with randomly-brassed areas around the edge.

”Honest wear” simply indicates that a tool, which includes cameras, has been used, by its owner(s). I would be concerned about signs of abuse, but reasonable wear around the strap lugs is not a cause for concern.

4 hours ago, lct said:

Bit ridiculous no? Those dentists, lawyers, doctors or engineers disguised as photographers. Like a photographer trying to take photos with a stethoscope sort of :D. Just kidding.

I’m a microkini, bikini and monokini salesman. Do I qualify?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They're not for everyone, but I like Peak Design's thin strap.  I use D-rings that have a plastic guard on them and with a Peak Design clip attached, nothing contacts the camera that would cause any wear.  

I like to wear a camera bandolier style about hip high and the Peak Design straps are among the few that are long enough and easily adjusted.  

• Like 2

Plenty of camera strap makers out there making long/short/custom straps for Leica which include a protector to stop the rings rubbing on the camera.  I have a couple from 595strapco, a UK leather strap maker, including a nice long one with Peak Design clips. 

Personally I’ve given up worrying about wear on my M10-P. I don’t plan on ever selling it, so I just use it and don’t stress about wear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is a bizarre example of lug wear from the DC store - I had an M10 from when first released until last year and had only slight wear using an Upstrap after almost 100,000 exposures. I was in the Bellevue store yesterday where there's a good half dozen plus M10's of varying gens for sale and none of those appear to have lug wear (you can see pics online). I do wonder what's going to happen to all of these used 'pristine' M10's that have been traded in on 11's.So much disposable cash these days for luxury items, most people will just pop the extra few grand for an 11.  I would only buy an M digital body to use, never to retain value. 

I like Upstraps and have used them for a good twenty years now because they don't slide off the shoulder, unlike many boutique straps. Not the prettiest things, but I've never seen the M as a fashion accessory. 

On 4/7/2022 at 2:14 AM, cnguyen said:

Of course not. I want to protect all my Leica investments. I will only buy pristine Leica samples.

If you want to protect your Leica investment find a well brassed ie used Leica. 
Then you’ll not loose any money just by using it… you may actually increase its value as the brassing increases!

Alex

Edited by mustafasoleiman
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 8:04 AM, FHPdoc said:

Ditto with Mac Jackson's McMurray & Blonde straps--simple yet solid and stylish.  I love these straps.  Pick the leather and stitching of your choice, and he follows up personally to confirm before making it from scratch.  Check him out at https://www.mcmurrayandblonde.com/ .

Here's the one I've used (in both black and brown).  The leather fold/attachment around the ring is thick enough to prevent metal-on-metal damage to the camera body.

https://www.mcmurrayandblonde.com/collections/camera-straps/products/leather-camera-strap-madison-st-stitched

Thank you for the link. I've sent them a message.