135 APO question

Franka373

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have this lens and the M11.  Although I have used M cameras for 17 years it’s a first for the 135.  I feel like I am getting back focus using the rangefinder.  I have tried it at 7 & 23 feet.  At 7 feet it is off a little over an inch.  At 23 feet it’s a little more.  I got concerned when I first used it at infinity and it was not in focus. I was outside with a fast shutter speed up around 2000.  With the new visoflex I can get good focus.  The focus thrown on the lens is surprisingly short.  I wonder if that has an affect?  I have checked my 28 summicron and 50 summilux asph and those seem fine.  My question is could it be the rangefinder, the lens or both?  Thanks for you help. 

My Summicron 28 and Summilux 50 focus also accurately. The Apo 135 focusses accurately at infinity but I do see some misfocus as the object a meter behind where I focussed is sharp. Does mainly happen when pointing the lens up or down.

Edited by stephan54

I use a 135 APO often with my M10-R. It can be a finicky lens for closer precise focus with the rf - mine is off probably 1/4 inch at closer distances but that's within tolerance and typically will be covered up if using f5.6 and above. I mainly use mine at infinity for landscapes and there it should be razor sharp at all apertures. So it sounds like your lens needs a calibration. Had this happen with my 75mm APO. 

Call him first to briefly discuss issue and, if deemed appropriate, timing of service. I recommend him over Leica NJ, despite warranty coverage, as he does excellent work for very reasonable cost and generally fast turnaround, schedule permitting. There are many corroborating discussions.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Using the RF you might notice focusing is more precise when starting from infinity and stop turning the focusing ring once you've reached focus. Use your body to fine tune when needed. On my M10 i can get perfect focus with my 135mm Tele-Elmar this way.

• Like 2