Lastest M or the M10-R BP

THEME

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It usually takes a while for new Leica M to sort out the bugs and let the camera shine at its "fuller" potential. I am sure the M11 has more under the hood than currently delivered, only to mention increased low light performance (especially at reduced resolution). Also menu stuff is worked out slowly, as the latest firmware shows. But for many years to come the M11 would certainly cover all that matters to me in photographic terms.

Am stating this, because the shop has one last new unused M10-R Black Paint Edition in stock. The M10-R is a workhorse built on meanwhile proven tech and a sensor that makes it hard to differentiate the camera from the M11 (for now). I like the timeless BP design and the fact that it's a limited edition. Could well be that this edition will keep its value at least as well as the M11 initial edition, if not better. We'll soon see other M11 models, the Black Paint edition however somewhat crowns the M10 lineup.

60MP for me are quite useless, am not into pixel analysis, composition and the moment count, around 20MP are more than enough for me. But of course many factors speak for the M11, such as the newer sensor, an (in my mind) improved menu and better button layout, plus the lower weight of the black camera might be an additional benefit.

Thoughts?

I own an M11 - silver chrome - and have had no issues with it. Coming from the M10-P it was an easy decision.  that being said the M10R. BP is a beautiful camera with mature firmware. Perhaps buy it and wait for the M11-P

there has been a thread recently with the exact same question. if you search, you will find.

Personally I would decide based on the function and not on the "look" of the camera.

I prefer the exposure metering of the new M11, and the new battery. I (very slightly) prefer the shutter and startup sound of the M10r.

I am not totally sure if I prefer the sensor of the new M11 over the M10r. One has more MP, maybe a little more neutral color. The M10r could be slightly better with wides in the corners when pixel peeping.

Some write about shale/sharpness with the M11, I did not realize such problem.

Do you plan to use the EVF often ? - in this case I would prefer the M11, because it has a shoter delay when shooting live view.

but yes, the BP version of the M10r is indeed beaitiful. They are both great cameras.

I purchased a M10R BP knowing that the M11 was coming, my thoughts at the time were that I'd wait for the M11P.

I lasted all of about 4 or 5 days before I bought the M11 and I'm very glad I did, much as I liked the BP at the end of the day the M11 (in my view) is a better camera for all the reasons you're no doubt aware of now. So to me I realised I had the BP for aesthetic reasons rather than functional, which at the end of the day didn't make sense to me anymore. Given the scarcity of the BP I sold it for a minimal loss (more like a rental) and I'm really delighted with my M11.

However, if you just like the looks as almost a fashion statement (v the functional improvements with the M11) I can understand that but if buying new they're pretty much the same price so it would seem the practical choice to go with the M11.

On 4/5/2022 at 12:16 PM, Kwesi said:

I own an M11 - silver chrome - and have had no issues with it. Coming from the M10-P it was an easy decision.  that being said the M10R. BP is a beautiful camera with mature firmware. Perhaps buy it and wait for the M11-P

That exactly was my initial thinking...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, SJH said:

I purchased a M10R BP knowing that the M11 was coming, my thoughts at the time were that I'd wait for the M11P.

I lasted all of about 4 or 5 days before I bought the M11 and I'm very glad I did, much as I liked the BP at the end of the day the M11 (in my view) is a better camera for all the reasons you're no doubt aware of now. So to me I realised I had the BP for aesthetic reasons rather than functional, which at the end of the day didn't make sense to me anymore. Given the scarcity of the BP I sold it for a minimal loss (more like a rental) and I'm really delighted with my M11.

However, if you just like the looks as almost a fashion statement (v the functional improvements with the M11) I can understand that but if buying new they're pretty much the same price so it would seem the practical choice to go with the M11.

My pro M10-R BP thinking was more based on value preservation, additional aesthetics would have been a plus, however the latest M certainly is no ugly duckling. And gear shall be used, it's tools. Talking functionality, the M11 ticks more boxes. 

17 hours ago, THEME said:

My pro M10-R BP thinking was more based on value preservation, additional aesthetics would have been a plus, however the latest M certainly is no ugly duckling. And gear shall be used, it's tools. Talking functionality, the M11 ticks more boxes. 

I can understand that but even with Leica I don’t think there will be much of a difference in relative value retention with digital bodies in terms of the M10R BP and the new M11. In simple terms the BP looks ‘better’ but an older body v the M11 and future. Probably equal depreciation once (or maybe worse on the BP) we’re away from the initial launch of both camera’s.