Neck straps & M Monochrome

Alan J

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While I am not in love with the M Monochromes neck strap that came included when new with the camera, is there something more comfortable?

Wide, narrow, leather, fabric, with logo, or without etc. Just seems like a sea of endless choices to consider. 

I'm just a general walk around type shooter who enjoys travel and still likes staying low profile with a camera.

What works for others that is comfortable?

Are you are referring to the stiff leather strap that came with the first Monochrom?  Mine is still in the box.  I replaced it with the standard Leica nylon strap that comes with most models.  I find that strap to be reasonably comfortable and very practical.  The neoprene anti-slip pad won't slip and so allows shoulder carry if desired. I like it enough that I bought a very similar UpStrap model for my non-Leica cameras.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alan J said:

While I am not in love with the M Monochromes neck strap that came included when new with the camera, is there something more comfortable?

Wide, narrow, leather, fabric, with logo, or without etc. Just seems like a sea of endless choices to consider. 

I'm just a general walk around type shooter who enjoys travel and still likes staying low profile with a camera.

What works for others that is comfortable?

Have a look at the  Artisan & Artist Silk Cord Straps   I've used them for several years on all of my work cameras, MP, MM1, M10, CL,  SL2 & SL2-S. They're extremely comfortable, durable & versatile. The best camera strap I've used in 50 years of photography.

Edited by michali
  • Like 1

This strap offsets the black body very nicely.

Black Label Bag Antique Italian Strap -- Dark Brown

This beautiful broken-leather strap is designed for your Leica RF. The classic look is reminiscent of old world craftsmanship. The soft interior protects your neck during those hot summer days.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, michali said:

Have a look at the  Artisan & Artist Silk Cord Straps   I've used them for several years on all of my work cameras, MP, MM1, M10, CL,  SL2 & SL2-S. They're extremely comfortable, durable & versatile. The best camera strap I've used in 50 years of photography.

+1

• Like 2

The forum often gives me great ideas and advice.  Regarding straps, I really liked the idea of the Leica 14312, but it is discontinued.  I also liked Mike's suggestion of the Artisan & Artist silk straps, but they cost more than I'd like to spend.  Luke Miller suggests the UpStrap, one model of which I ordered.  It's made for "small" cameras (e.g.: Leica M, Q, CL), is narrow enough and soft enough to wrap around my hand when I'm active, and wide enough to distribute the weight when it''s on my shoulder; and the non-slip pad is important to me, especially when I'm wearing a jacket or coat that seems to invite other straps to slip form my shoulder.   This is the one I ordered, and I'll report back how it works out: Camera Strap - Small Sure-Grip Shoulder Pad | UPstrap® USA (journeycamera.com)

The pad appears considerably thicker (less flexible?) than the 14312, which was only recently discontinued and I would expect could still be found at some dealers in the event that you end up wishing for something thinner yet still grippy. 

Jeff