M6 Lightmeter gone "crazy"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all,

I've read almost all threads dealing with the M6 and malfunctioning lightmeters. I believe, my issue has not yet been discussed. If it has, I apologize.

The issue:

In low light conditions, the lightmeter of my M6 (which has recently been serviced) never meters correctly. With ISO 200 and in between shutter speeds 1' and 1/4, the lightmeter always indicates overexposure (right diode glows) - no matter the aperture. If I switch the shutter speed to 1/8, the lightmeter suddenly indicates perfect light conditions: Both diodes glow - regardless of the aperture chosen. From the shutter speed of 1/15, the lightmeter (correctly) indicates underexposure (left diode glows). (I have metered externally. The correct settings would have been shutter speed 1/4 with an aperture of 2).

I have repeatedly changed the batteries and cleaned the contacts of the ISO-dial. It did not help.

Does anybody know what could be the problem here? I can't rule out the possibility that I am doing something inherently wrong or simply don't understand, how this is supposed to work. Please do call out my mistakes :) Finally, a stupid question maybe: What should the lightmeter indicate when it cannot meter because it is too dark? I understand that this may be different depending on when the camera has been manufactured. I have a relatively early serial number.

Any help is appreciated!

Many thanks,

Philipp

Am 3.4.2022 um 14:54 schrieb tfyl:

Can this help?

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately, this did not solve my problem. Also, the contacts of the dial have (allegedly) been cleaned and fixed during the service. So, either I have been lied to or the cause is something different.

I have, in any event, contacted the repairshop again and asked to have this fixed. I'll keep you all updated!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/5/2022 at 8:05 AM, Eldoratte said:

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately, this did not solve my problem. Also, the contacts of the dial have (allegedly) been cleaned and fixed during the service. So, either I have been lied to or the cause is something different.

I have, in any event, contacted the repairshop again and asked to have this fixed. I'll keep you all updated!

It’s been four months! Any updates?