Long lens for animals with SL2S

Jox

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Jox said:

Oh sorry, I would talk about the Canon 400mm f4 DO v2 (with x1,4), not the 600.

+1. Canon 400mm f4 DO v2 - with x1,4 and x2 on SL2-S; and with x1,4 on SL2 - is an excellent long lens to use on SLx (thanks to @michali for pointing me to this lens several years ago). In addition to being optically excellent, the lens is fairly small and has low weight, it has excellent OIS, and it is clearly handheldable. AF is ok for static subjects, but I use this lens mainly in manual focus mode.

The long Sigma zooms, notably the Sigma 150-600mm, are also good and popular options, but can hardly beat the sharpness/resolution of the Canon 400mm (my guess, I have no experience with the long Sigmas).

Long Leica primes like Leica 400mm f2.8 APO+R (either the fixed lens or the module system) and 280mm APO-R are also excellent, despite their age, but the first is laaaarge and heavy; the latter is (generally) too short.

• Like 1

I totally agree that the Canon EF 400 4 DO II is a perfect match for the Leica SL2-S.  For wildlife I mainly use my Canon R3 due to the fast autofocus and high ISO capability. But I also love to pair my SL2-S with my big Canon lenses when I know that my subjects do not move a lot. It is always a joy to shoot with the SL2-S paired with the EF 400 4 DO II. Even with the 1.4x TC I cannot see any loss in sharpness. 

I took these two pictures of roe deers this morning with the SL2-S and the EF 400 4 DO II. The first one is without, the second one with 1.4x TC. Click on the images for sharper view.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

SL2-S with Canon Ef 400 4 DO II, 1/125 sec, f4.0, ISO 640

SL2-S with Canon Ef 400 4 DO II with 1.4x TC, 1/125 sec, f5.6, ISO 5000

Edited by mschuette
  • Like 4

Thank you very much for your answers and your pictures.
I like the Canon 400 a lot and I am convinced, with your comments for some time that we have been talking about, that it would suit me. But my question was about version I (given the huge price difference between the 2 versions): according to your experiences and information, version I (with x1.4) would render sufficiently beautiful to satisfy me, being accustomed to the results of the 90-280 (colorimetry, 3D effect, modeling, resolution...)?

vor 53 Minuten schrieb Jox:

I like the Canon 400 a lot and I am convinced, with your comments for some time that we have been talking about, that it would suit me. But my question was about version I (given the huge price difference between the 2 versions): according to your experiences and information, version I (with x1.4) would render sufficiently beautiful to satisfy me, being accustomed to the results of the 90-280 (colorimetry, 3D effect, modeling, resolution...)?

I have not used version I yet, but according to several reviews the IQ of version I is not as good than the IQ of version II. It lacks in contrast and sharpness. But it is a lot cheaper... 

6 hours ago, Jox said:

Canon 400mm f4 DO v2 is the version to get. If you have time to wait, second hand lenses in good conditions are available now and then. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you, it's clear: for the Canon 400, it's version II or nothing;): Thank you!
Concerning the R lenses, the SL2S really does not stabilize the image very well and the use is too difficult without a tripod (I have experience of the 180APO2.8 with 2 APO doublers). Have you tested with this 560mm without a tripod on an SL2S (or SL2)?

8 minutes ago, Jox said:

Concerning the R lenses, the SL2S really does not stabilize the image very well and the use is too difficult without a tripod (I have experience of the 180APO2.8 with 2 APO doublers).

IBIS doesn't work as well with super-long lenses. The required movement is too large, relative to the sensor's range of movement. This is why most such lenses have OIS, even when the camera system features IBIS. 

30 minutes ago, Jox said:

Thank you, it's clear: for the Canon 400, it's version II or nothing;): Thank you!
Concerning the R lenses, the SL2S really does not stabilize the image very well and the use is too difficult without a tripod (I have experience of the 180APO2.8 with 2 APO doublers). Have you tested with this 560mm without a tripod on an SL2S (or SL2)?

No, but it is very light and easily hand-holdable. I have used one for 45 years!

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/1:6.8_/_560_Telyt

I took this in 1979 on Kodachrome 25:

Hand-held at the Toronto zoo. Shot wide-open.

Edited by Ornello
  • Like 2