Best Non-APO 50mm lens for a M.

M2Pete

Advertisement (gone after registration)

36 minutes ago, M2Pete said:

M2 for film (usually B&W @ 400) and an M-D 262.

FYR.

Red Dot Forum Camera Talk: 50mm Leica M Lenses

Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH - Would I Get A New One Today?

https://www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2018/4/12/leica-50mm-f14-summilux-m?rq=Summilux

Leica 50mm Noctilux, Summilux, Summicron - All Versions plus Summarit f/1.5

https://www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2018/8/6/leica-50mm-noctilux-summilux-summicron-all-versions-plus-summarit-f15?rq=Summilux

Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH Revisited(Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH + Kodak Portra 400)

https://www.streetsilhouettes.com/blogv2/leica-50mm-f/14-summilux-m-asph-revisited

• Like 1

Both the 50 Summicron (V) and the 75 Summicron APO are wonderful lenses. Despite being close in FL, they render differently. The 50 cron is small, sharp, contrasty, and has a neutral color rendition. On the other hand, the 75 Summicron renders like the 50 Summilux ASPH with great sharpness, warmth, and beautiful subject separation. I have both and choose one to the other depending on the subject matter. Perhaps I love the 75 Summicron a little bit more but I would never be without my 50 Summicron.

On 4/4/2022 at 3:38 AM, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Let’s be honest here: the “apo” name is just an absolute marketing gimmick. For a lens to be truly APO, it is NOT supposed to show any CA at all. But knowing this, Leica then said that its lenses are somewhat APO corrected.

Well, if you ask me: absolutely all lenses are somewhat apo corrected, therefore ALL lenses are somewhat apo.

No, the Leica APO naming scheme is pure marketing. And it truly is, where APO Somewhat means more “science” involved.l

One thing is sure, within Leica’s own standard, ALL their lenses are apo. Or absolutely NONE. Both these answers are correct.

My experience is that the APO-SUMMICRON-SL 50mm open wide at f2 and I couldn't see any CA, similar to another APO R 180mm f2.8, but for APO-SUMMICRON-M 90mm open wide at f2 is notifiable CA. I think with the technology advanced then the older lenses could start to see the limitations,  but back then it is possible the APO lenses didn't show as much as CA a decade ago.

On 4/3/2022 at 8:42 PM, Capuccino-Muffin said:

If a lens shows CA in any measure, it is NOT APO. How can it be? LOL! 

The term apochromat (and achromat) actually does have a precise original definition that does not make this assumption. My understanding is that Leica does try to keep to these definitions - insofar as they can be precisely achieved. Thus an apochromatic design does have chromatic aberrations that are not corrected. And one apochromatic design can have better colour correction in practical or subjective terms than another.

In the absence of accepted international standards, of course, this leaves plenty of scope for marketing speak, selecting which three wavelengths are corrected etc. 

Disclaimer: I am not an optical scientist; I am just a geologist who hits things I don't understand with a hammer.

Edit. Apologies - I read the first page of this thread and thought I'd read the lot. @laowai_has already made my point.
The link may be a useful reference, though, so I will leave it here.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 4.4.2022 um 00:40 schrieb Stuart Richardson:

If your only qualm with APO lenses is the cost, the Voigtlander 50mm APO is probably the sharpest 50mm M lens other than the 50mm APO Summicron. It is around 1000 dollars and built well, like most Voigtlander lenses.

I can fully agree,!
Dont forget the 35mm APO Lanthar Voigtländer that can easily compete with the 7k Leica 35 APO lens.
If you want sharp and perfect images go for APO, if you want images with character go for non-APO.

Am 3.4.2022 um 21:28 schrieb Capuccino-Muffin:

Can you really beat a brand new Summicron V5? 

That would be my lens if I didn't have the 50APO.

Had the Summilux asph 1.4, and the Noctilux 0,95. I sold them years ago and never miss them.

For me the f2.0 DOF is as shallow as I need for the M. The Summicron are the ideal mix of aperture, size, price IMO.

• Like 1

My journey in Leica 50s was v.5 that I traded for 50mm ASPH. I then bought a Midland v.4.  Purely ergonomics, I like focusing tab and v.5 hood did not lock in place so it collapsed in the bag and I'd sometimes forget to extend it when shooting.  

The preceding excludes my DR.  I use it a lot but it is heavy.  The knurled focusing ring makes up for the lack of tab.  

In any event it sounds like there are a lot of great options out there.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rpsawin said:

FWIW...

I just bought a Zeiss C Sonnar 1.5 50mm for my M10-M and I am very pleased. This is an excellent addition to my kit.

Its a fabulous lens!. I sold my summilux 50 asph in favor the sonnar. As a people lens its magical.

• Like 1

I want to thank everyone that replied.

As of April 22 I am the owner of a very well cared for Summicron 50mm F/2 V4. In the few short days I've had to test the lens I have been stunned by ability to separate the subject and provide sharp images. Whatever 50mm I was shooting prior to obtaining this cannot can compete. I have yet to test the lens truly low light situations, and thus get the LUX for X-mas for the extra stop, but for right now f/2 is doing fine. My new favorite lens!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1