How to navigate if there is a problem with new gear..

Fetchmycamera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It appears that the new camera does require a Leica adjustment. It appears they are aware of this issue. It is said to be minor and easily accomplished fix that they are equipped in NJ to do and does not need to go to Germany.

I have been given 3 choices.

I can send the silver M11 back for a total refund, I can wait for a new silver replacement M11,  or I can send this body to NJ in a prearranged time for the prescribed rush minor adjustment handled in concert with the store making all the arrangements.

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Fetchmycamera said:

It appears that the new camera does require a Leica adjustment. It appears they are aware of this issue. It is said to be minor and easily accomplished fix that they are equipped in NJ to do and does not need to go to Germany.

I can send the silver M11 back for a total refund, I can wait for a new silver replacement M11,  or I can send this body to NJ in a prearranged time for the prescribed rush minor adjustment handled in concert with the store making all the arrangements.

Thoughts?

Send it to New Jersey!!

They already have made you a priority.

They will give the camera a once over and make sure everything is up to snuff before sending it back and if you aren't happy with the repair you can always get your money back.

1 hour ago, Fetchmycamera said:

Thoughts?

Lawyer's thoughts: You are not compelled to accept a repaired camera and you don't know how long it will take to get a new replacement so refund or discount on the repaired body.

1 hour ago, lct said:

Lawyer's thoughts: You are not compelled to accept a repaired camera and you don't know how long it will take to get a new replacement so refund or discount on the repaired body.

Thank you for your thoughts sir/madam. 

Today my preference would be new factory sealed from Germany. I noticed the issue immediately and identified it to Leica.  Even with a fast pre-arranged time slot fix in NJ , would it not feel like I would be getting a refurbished body that I paid full price for, $9K full price?

Any idea, also, when a camera goes into Leica for a return/fix,  would they then just provide it to a dealer as a demo? Sell it as a certified pre-owned? what price might that bear?

I am fairly certain if the store was local, I would immediately take it to them and say, please give me new, wouldn't you?

I waited for the silver body to begin with. Then to further complicate, I only chose the 2/50mm apo in silver when I could pair it with the silver body.  Lotsa moolah.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Kwesi said:

Send it to New Jersey!!

They already have made you a priority.

They will give the camera a once over and make sure everything is up to snuff before sending it back and if you aren't happy with the repair you can always get your money back.

Should that once over not have been done in Germany before it left the factory? Thanks, your help is appreciated as it was, for me, such a large purchase pricetag.

50 minutes ago, Fetchmycamera said:

Thank you for your thoughts sir/madam. 

Today my preference would be new factory sealed from Germany. I noticed the issue immediately and identified it to Leica.  Even with a fast pre-arranged time slot fix in NJ , would it not feel like I would be getting a refurbished body that I paid full price for, $9K full price?

Any idea, also, when a camera goes into Leica for a return/fix,  would they then just provide it to a dealer as a demo? Sell it as a certified pre-owned? what price might that bear?

I am fairly certain if the store was local, I would immediately take it to them and say, please give me new, wouldn't you?

I waited for the silver body to begin with. Then to further complicate, I only chose the 2/50mm apo in silver when I could pair it with the silver body.  Lotsa moolah.

Well i gave you my advice for what it's worth. Refund or discount i don't see another reasonable possibility. 

5 hours ago, Fetchmycamera said:

Should that once over not have been done in Germany before it left the factory? Thanks, your help is appreciated as it was, for me, such a large purchase pricetag.

Please forgive my candor  

No one at Leica cares how much you paid. At the end of the day you can either afford to do this comfortably or you can’t. 
No one is going to give you a discount on your camera because it’s not working as expected. Your dealer has gone out of their way to make sure you are given priority service-something that is not easy to come by. They’ve also given you the option for a refund. 
what more do you want?

19 hours ago, Jeff S said:

You needed to if you wanted an immediate exchange rather than a two month ordeal.

Jeff

I know what I need and getting an exchange doesn't guarantee that I wouldn't have the same issue. It wasn't an "ordeal" for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to wrap this first M11 story up. I received a brand new replacement M11 from Leica with aid of dealer.

As to the second one?

Well, I just started shooting, 20 images. in the house. 20 images - maybe a half hour tops and camera is noticeably warm on right side - battery side.   Warm for sure.

Anyone experience this?  The first one did not get warm at all.  Had other issues but not temperature of body.

Trying to read through forum to see other issues without at all trying to be on the "lookout" for things. Temperature, hard to miss.

Edited by Fetchmycamera

3 minutes ago, Fetchmycamera said:

I wanted to wrap this first M11 story up. I received a brand new replacement M11 from Leica with aid of dealer.

As to the second one?

Well, I just started shooting, 20 images. in the house. 20 images - maybe a half hour tops and camera is noticeably warm on right side - battery side.   Warm for sure.

Anyone experience this?  The first one did not get warm at all.  Had other issues but not temperature of body.

Trying to read through forum to see other issues without at all trying to be on the "lookout" for things. Temperature, hard to miss.

Did you charge it in camera? Battery might come out of the stand-alone charger in a state that gets warm more quickly, too.

I've noticed some warmth after shooting with live view on for a while outside, but seemed normal compared to the Canon R5, GFX 100S, and X100V cameras I've had.

The battery was fully charged in the charger.  I had set all the menus last night.

Then today I was starting to shoot.  Camera was cold as it had been off.

Live view was on for a bit, but seriously I only took 20 shots of my coffee table and dog.

Could not have been more than a half hour tops.

That's when I noticed how warm it was.

Called dealer.

Dealer said to charge up new spare battery and advise if same happens.

Wanted me to stop by but they are not local..

(Curious but this serial no. body was earlier than the one I sent back for replacement.  ) 

ok, I charged the #2 battery.  let it sit out from charger for 1 hour.

put it in. camera cold. battery cold.

test shots in house. warming up within 10 minutes.

LV was on. 

I never had a camera that got warm in 10 minutes? I don't think I am crazy but am new to the metal body of the M11.

The right side warm to touch, including rear screen. 

I will leave off for awhile and try with LV off. just to be curious.