Good news/Bad news

adan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3000625093/kodak-is-bringing-back-kodak-gold-200-for-120-format-cameras

Even for 35mm shooters, this will likely result in economies of scale in producing the emulsion goo. ;)

Kodak says the emulsion has been "reformulated" and I expect the reformulation will probably show up on 35mm batches eventually. Sounds like it may adapt some tech from ProImage 100 for better shelf-life without refrigeration.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6444872490/fujifilm-confirms-film-prices-will-increase-by-up-to-60

Slightly off the topic - I've always been intrigued that while a roll of 120 and a roll of 135-36 have virtually identical surface areas to coat (~0.046 m^2), rolls of 120 are usually noticeably less expensive. I suspect it comes down to other production costs - 120 has no curvy tips to trim, no sprocket holes to punch, no metal-and-felt cassettes to assemble and load, and (usually) a thinner base - doesn't have to stand up to the rigors of motorized winding.

• 3 weeks later...

My first impression of the video/shoot is that it was extremely limited to showcasing only skin tones with the backdrop totally 'absent' as well as the clothing being B&W. So what am I supposed to be impressed by?

Happy to try the film, but it needs to be good to beat Portra 400. Yes, I know, different speeds. But shooting MF Hasselblads under available light, 400 is the go. Studio shooting is a different ballgame. Gave that up a few years ago.

Just glad that new films are being produced. The 25% price drop is attractive of course.

Just now, erl said:

My first impression of the video/shoot is that it was extremely limited to showcasing only skin tones with the backdrop totally 'absent' as well as the clothing being B&W. So what am I supposed to be impressed by? Pure promo stunt, I realize.

Happy to try the film, but it needs to be good to beat Portra 400. Yes, I know, different speeds. But shooting MF Hasselblads under available light, 400 is the go. Studio shooting is a different ballgame. Gave that up a few years ago.

Just glad that new films are being produced. The 25% price drop is attractive of course.