- Telyt 180 APO 3.4 vs Elmarit 180 2.8 (non-apo)

Jox

Since we are talking 180’s, and we all know the APO R 180mm f/2.8 is incredibly sharp (but also more expensive), another alternative is the R 80-200 f/4. Zoom. The 100-130 range is the sharpest, and not as sharp as the 180 f/3.4 at infinity, but a very strong and versatile lens at a reasonable cost.  I use this a lot on the Sl2-S when traveling.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/2/2022 at 9:35 AM, Jox said:

Hello,
I am interested in the 180 R and more precisely in 2 versions:
- Telyt 180 APO 3.4
- Elmarit 180 2.8 (non-apo)
For frequent use with a doubler, which model would make it possible to obtain the best renderings and the finest details with an M10?
Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.
best regards,

The APO Telyt-R 180mm F/3.4 was originally developed at the Leitz, Midland, Ontario plant in Canada in the early 1970's for the US Navy whose requirement was for a small format, high resolution camera system based on the Leicaflex SL for reconnaissance missions. This is a Dr. Walter Mandler designed lens and was Leica's first APO lens and is still considered, (even by today's standards) an exotic piece of glass and a great lens, especially at distances. 

By the way, Ernst Leitz Canada LTD was the center for Leica lens development for several decades, so whether the lens is made in Canada, Portugal or Germany, you can be assured of superb Leica quality.

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/18/2022 at 9:05 PM, Henkr said:

Any differences in the APO 180 3.4 between the early and the late E60 versions?

Hi,

How can I tell what size filter for my (new to me) 180 3.4 APO takes .... Serial number is 29470xx

BTW if earlier version do I need a retaining ring ?