Which ONE lens above 50mm for landscape/urbanscape?

pmendelson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the M11 and the SL2-S, and my longest lens on both is 50mm (APO f/2 for both).  I am thinking about a telephoto for landscape/urban shots that I can use on both cameras (I don't shoot portraits), and size/weight is somewhat important to me.  I tried the 90mm Macro-Elmar and the Voigtlander 90mm APO, and they just didn't wow me at all for some reason.  I am thinking now about the 90mm Elmarit, or the 135mm.  If you had to choose one M mount lens above 50mm for landscape/urban shooting that isn't too huge or heavy, which one would it be?

Thanks!

In your situation - and for your requirements of not too big and not too heavy - I'd go for either the 90mm f2.5 or the f2.4 Summarit. Small, light, superbly sharp.

The 2.5 was the first version and had a min. focus of 1.0m. The lens was given a small redesign and the f2.4 version has a slightly closer min. focus of 0.9m. Despite their names in reality they both - apparently - share the same maximum aperture of f2.4.

The f2.4 commands a higher price 'on the street' but if you don't need its extra 10cm near-focus 'advantage' then you'll discover that the older version is one of the few bargains to be had where fairly recent lenses are concerned in LeicaWorld.

I do like the 75mm focal length very much but it might be a bit too similar to the 50 for your needs.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The différence in FL is mportant between 50 and 75, less between 75 and 90.

if you intend to use most on your M, I’d go for the APO 75 if you want to keep your M kit small and light

I love my APO 90 as well but seldom use it on the M due to its size.

If you want to use it most on the SL2S, the 90 would be my choice

didier

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pmendelson said:

If you had to choose one M mount lens above 50mm for landscape/urban shooting that isn't too huge or heavy, which one would it be?

After the 50mm, I would choose a 90mm, skipping the 75mm.

I have the 90/2.8 Elmarit-M (this one) and I really like it for landscapes and street photography. I didn't find any issue or con. Yes, It's 410 gr, but is very balanced on the body. It performs really well for my taste and needs. I bought it used a few months ago for about £750. Super happy.

Edited by Dennis
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, pmendelson said:

I tried the 90mm Macro-Elmar and the Voigtlander 90mm APO, and they just didn't wow me at all for some reason. 

What you didn’t like about the Macro-Elmar-M 90mm 4.0?

I’m torn between the APO Summicron (I loved using a friend’s copy for a couple of days, but it was very difficult for me to nail focus at 2.0, and it is a bit bulky..) and the Macro-Elmar (the most compact 90 I’ve ever seen but I didn’t manage to properly test one so far..).

• Like 1

135 is hard to focus precise, and small frame in the M camera.

My choice would be probably the CV75/1.5, or an Elmarit 90mm (which I also own)

The 75APO maybe pops a little more than the CV, but the CV offers you f1.5 - I own both and lately prefer the CV75. I sometimes also have some problem to focus the Leica 75/2.0 precise at all distances.

If I had to choose one it would be the 75 CV/1.5.

• Like 2

@pmendelson

I don't have answer, neither of us all I fear.

Why ?

As I was happy so long ago to be able to use 75mm lens on M, I did use the trio "35/5090" for so longer that on M lenses longer than 50mm

are not easy or "satisfaction guaranteed" (as always ! ).

So my advice is to take time not for only ONE (stated in the title), to explore the possibility of those lenses.

After using longer than 50mm lenses for decades, I'm not able to choose only one lens, my explorations continue.

Short opinions on most of my lenses :

- Summilux-M 75mm very good lens not only for portrait but it shines in every situations, hiding a bit the VF,  balance on any M is quite good

for such heavy lens and focus not bad to 75cm

- Apo-Summicron-M 75mm one of the best all around, light and top IQ, two things that bother me, the aperture in Ninja Stars forms for some F Stops

and the narrowish focus ring and this ring a bit short travel for close focus 70cm

- in 90mm lenses, having many in use, Macro-Elmar-M may be one of the best 90, but if I need a bit more "light" I can choose Elmarit or Tele-Elmarit (thin is 225g ! )

recently, I bought second hand Apo-Summicron-M 90mm, now my favorite 90mm, not so heavy or long but the output is so nice and the focus ring is largerthan Apo 75mm,

not same lens though.

- 135mm, I would choose Tele-Elmar that I have in many copies over time for travel, but in use the Elmarit is very nice with goggles x1.5 for RF using, framing with 90 framelines

• Like 3

11 hours ago, pmendelson said:

I have the M11 and the SL2-S, and my longest lens on both is 50mm (APO f/2 for both).  I am thinking about a telephoto for landscape/urban shots that I can use on both cameras (I don't shoot portraits), and size/weight is somewhat important to me.  I tried the 90mm Macro-Elmar and the Voigtlander 90mm APO, and they just didn't wow me at all for some reason.  I am thinking now about the 90mm Elmarit, or the 135mm.  If you had to choose one M mount lens above 50mm for landscape/urban shooting that isn't too huge or heavy, which one would it be?

Thanks!

In M mount, your current telephoto choices are limited to 75mm, 90mm and 135mm.  The simple answer is that you can use any of them and whichever you settle on is only something you can decide.

I have both 75mm apo-summicron and 90mm apo-summicron lenses.   I can only relate my experiences to you as a landscape photographer and my preference is for 90mm in the region where I live, whilst I see the 75mm apo-summicron asph as a more useful alternative to 50mm, mainly as a 'utility' lens and a perfect partner with a 28mm summicron asph for travel, landscape and street.

My 90mm apo-summicron safari edition is one of my two favourite Leica M lenses,  it is a flawlessly stunning lens.   My other favourite is the 28mm summicron asph safari edition and these are my pair of choice for landscape photography.

A couple of images I made yesterday morning of the Clisham Horseshoe and Ben Dubh on the Isle of Harris after some overnight snow to give you an idea of the 90mm perspective. 

Both images were made with the M10-R and 90mm apo-summicron safari:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

32 minutes ago, pmendelson said:

Thank you all for the super helpful replies - lots to consider.  I am actually leaning towards the Zeiss 85mm for my needs...but still researching.

20 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

85mm lens why not.

For SL2-S mainly, then.

With M11, no 85 framelines.

I wonder which one will show 75 or 90, when mounting the Zeiss 85mm.

The Zeiss 85mm f/4 Tele Tessar ZM is quite nice for landscapes. It was some landscape image that I saw in the Fred Miranda forum that helped persuade me to buy a pre-owned sample. The 90mm frame lines will show.

Actually, I knew, before buying the ZM, that I liked short telephoto lenses for landscapes and such, as I had already bought and used a Zeiss Otus ZF.2, for the Nikon F mount.

Edited by RexGig0

I work with 75, 90 and 135.

But my 75 and 135 are usually used together (although I have sometimes just carried 21/35/135 without feeling limited). So for "one lens above 50mm," the 90 is the classic choice. I have the Elmarit-M, and the hyper-light/compact Tele-Elmarit-M (225g, E39 filter size, occasional problems with veiling flare, but cheap!).

Personally, I have no special trouble focusing a 135 with the RF, especially at "urban-landscape" distances. Anything over 200 yards/meters is "infinity" at f/5.6, even on digital. The APO-Telyt is the lightest modern 135 (~455 grams).

• Like 2

For use on my M11 I would probably use the Visoflex with this lens a lot so the frame lines it brings up in the viewfinder aren't too critical to me.  Also seriously considering the Leica 90mm Elmarit as well.... Anyone have experience with regard to how these two compare at similar apertures?  

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 8:31 PM, pmendelson said:

...Also seriously considering the Leica 90mm Elmarit as well.... Anyone have experience with regard to how these two compare at similar apertures?  

I have a 90mm elmarit-m f2.8 latest version that I used extensively before I bought the 90mm apo-summicron.  Since then it's virtually unused, not because there is anything wrong with it, but I just prefer the 90mm apo-summicron f2.

The 90 a-sa is better at f2.8 than the elamarit-m and gives an extra stop at f2.  At mid apertures, you won't see any practical difference between them especially in prints.

Despite being noticeably bigger and heavier, the 90mm apo-summicron feels better balanced on my M10-R and MP and the focus ring damping is superior to the 90mm elmarit-m f2.8 .  The increased size/weight difference of the 90mm a-sa isn't much of a trade-off for being a better handling lens and I'll probably sell the 90mm elmarit-m. 

I made a couple of images with the 90mm elmarit-m a few days ago, see below.   It is a good lens by any standard, but I prefer the flawless handling and imaging of 90mm apo-summicron asph.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 8

Your SL2-S is a medium res camera but your M11 has 60MP so i would prefer a lens with the higher resolving power. As much as i like my 90/2.4 and 90/4 macro they cannot compete with my 90/2 apo on my 42MP Sony, especially at edges and corners. 135/3.4 apo is another solution but camera shake is a risk to consider on high res cameras sans IBIS. I have not received my M11 yet so i cannot comment any further sorry.

• Like 1