Any alternatives to (discontinued) Leica AA-SCL4 audio adapter for SL?

_Michael

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thinking about external audio for the SL. Leica has seemingly discontinued the very over-priced AA-SCL4, and I have little desire/need to spend $200 for it anyway. Has anyone found any alternative for the proprietary audio adapter?  I suspect there was not enough of a market for a 3rd party to produce one. 

They seem to be available in Europe and Canada, but I have not found one in the US.  I will likely just connect my camera mounted microphone to my Ninja V rather than the SL and try and manually figure out the necessary offset to sync the audio with the camera's video.  I've been trying to get an AA-SCL4 for internal recording and to set my Ninja to automatically calculate the audio offset.  It needs a camera mic input in order to do that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Luke_Miller said:

I will likely just connect my camera mounted microphone to my Ninja V rather than the SL

Same here. I have the adapter, but I usually just plug a small stereo microphone into it, and route my main audio directly into the Atomos. That means I can mix-in the camera audio, which helps with some mixes (it "thickens the sauce," to give a culinary analogy).

Of course, this doesn't help if you don't use an external HDMI recorder.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I'll never understand what Leica was thinking adding such a proprietary connection for such a standard and well defined port. Seems an odd place to add Leica engineering and "value" 

I'm just trying to so some very simple audio using something like the Rode Wireless Go I already have, or even just the video mic. 

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ignore previous post; that was my partner trying to find more help/info on this. 

I checked the camera myself and the audio port is a special format - I have seen before but can't say what is the name of this port 🤨. Done some researching and even read up the specs but it just mentions it as a "multi-port" or "multi connector" for headphone and microphone 😑

So.... my partner went to a stores that sells cameras, comps, phones etc and went to search in the adapter aisle and couldn't find anything. 

She searched a bit online to see if she could find the audio adapter AA-SCL4 and after spending quite some time, found a Leica store far far away that might have it! So I'm going to try to order it. Another is a Toronto based company says it is 'in stock' called downtowncamera. That as far as she got.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by dimitri_c

On 1/30/2023 at 1:25 PM, dimitri_c said:

Hello - 

Joining the party late but I am in the same situation as _Michael ; i found a great mic but then saw that I needed this adapter. I am in Europe @Luke_Miller but I am not able to find this adapter anywhere. I am guessing since your post the situation has changed 😑

Did you find a solution in the end @_Michael ?

Sorry, I’ve. It been here for a bit and just saw this. I ended up finding a pre-owned adapter for a fair price. My need had mostly passed so in the end, I’ve barely used it.