M11 does not detect lens (intermittent fault)

TonyT

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, ravinj said:

I sold my M10 two years ago and the buyer took it to Mexico, extremely humid weather and it cost a fortune to repair. Here is the verbatim report:

"So , I said I would get back to you 

I drove out to Leica NJ and luckily they took the camera from me , that was a struggle but head of customer relations was sweet 

The camera is not able to tolerate heavy humidity , it was damaged internally and replacing the sensor Will run me $2,350

Ouch 

But better than saying goodbye which is what would have happened had I not drove out there , another few days and it would have been totaled"

Oh wow. I had no idea about that. I guess I'm lucky I only have issues with the lens sensor :)

I'm still waiting for Leica to reply. Leica's autoreply email said it could take 12 weeks for them to repair a camera, and while it's not too bad (and I still have my Q2), it doesn't look like an issue that'd be that hard to fix without sending it back. I was considering taking the camera to a nearby repair shop to have the glass above the lens sensor cleaned.

• 2 weeks later...

I collected my new M11 yesterday and experienced a similar problem that the camera was not auto reading the Summicron 35mm f/2 correctly (I had 2.8/21 instead).

I did remove lens a few times and it worked perfectly after that.  Following this,  I cleaned the sensor with a wet cotton tip and spectacle cleaner. Then tested on my 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 75mm; they all read correctly now.  So cleaning the  sensor will help.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got my camera back from Leica, the issue is gone :) the whole repair process (including shipping) took about 4 weeks, and Leica charged me nothing for repairs or shipping, which was very nice :) 

Now I can finally play with the new 35 mm Summilux-M! 

• 1 month later...