SL2/SL2-S and 35mm APO-Summicron-M

John Smith

The lens quality is almost as good of the 35 Summicron-SL. 

I think the SL is easier to get and people that have it love it.

I think I not in the market for it, I use the 35 Lux-M on the SL2 more than the 35 SL lens.
I would be more interested in a 35 noctilux.... maybe in 10-20 years LOL

50 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

I think I not in the market for it, I use the 35 Lux-M on the SL2 more than the 35 SL lens.

I imagine this is because of the size. And this is why I am asking. I have the 35SL and use it pretty often. But there are some environmental/travel situations where a smaller lens would be better. I use a 50mm APO-M on the SL2 quite a bit even though I have the 50SL and 50LUX. (Yes, too many lenses.)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Smith said:

I imagine this is because of the size. And this is why I am asking. I have the 35SL and use it pretty often. But there are some environmental/travel situations where a smaller lens would be better. I use a 50mm APO-M on the SL2 quite a bit even though I have the 50SL and 50LUX. (Yes, too many lenses.)

Nope, I do it because I like the look of the 35 Lux. 

• 1 year later...

I think it is fairly uncommon unless the user is also an M user. Usually if compactness is a priority an M body makes more sense, but if you are using an SL, then the lower price, AF and auto aperture and somewhat higher technical quality of the 35mm SL APO Summicron make more sense. 
To me at least it is like putting racing tires on a truck…people seem to do it, but they might be better served by a sports car. 
Don’t let me put you off it though. If you can find one it is a great lens and it will make a more compact combo than the 35mm SL. Depending on your needs, however, you could likely the the 35mm APO SL and a compact 35mm M lens with great performance (like the 35mm APO Lanthar) and have the best of both worlds for less than the cost of the one 35mm APO M. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don’t own the SL version of the 35 APO so I can’t compare its performance but the SL2-S’ EVF makes close focusing very easy.  This doesn’t get mentioned as much as it should:  nailing focus with a manual lens on an SL is one of its best features.  When that lens happens to be the best in class 35mm APO-Summicron M lens, it’s unavoidable that a) the experience of manual focus is that much more rewarding and b) image quality is superb.   

I don’t subscribe to the notion that the 35 APO-M is clinical or lacks character.  The focus fall-off and the resolving power of the lens IS its character.

[My main rig is a M10-P and I mostly use M lenses on the SL2-S (the only L mount lens I own is the Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN Art). ]

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Kreeshp said:

I don’t own the SL version of the 35 APO so I can’t compare its performance but the SL2-S’ EVF makes close focusing very easy.  This doesn’t get mentioned as much as it should:  nailing focus with a manual lens on an SL is one of its best features.  When that lens happens to be the best in class 35mm APO-Summicron M lens, it’s unavoidable that a) the experience of manual focus is that much more rewarding and b) image quality is superb.   

I don’t subscribe to the notion that the 35 APO-M is clinical or lacks character.  The focus fall-off and the resolving power of the lens IS its character.

[My main rig is a M10-P and I mostly use M lenses on the SL2-S (the only L mount lens I own is the Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN Art). ]

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nothing like the look or the Reporter and M lens especially the 35 Apo M lens here. Beautiful!  Although I do not own the 35 Apo M, the 35 Summilux on the Reporter is still a beautiful thing. Great combination and I don't buy into the M glass only on M cameras which is mostly espoused by SL lens lovers. After years of owning both SL and M cameras I can say that I do have a couple of SL auto focus lenses and I like them very much. The 35 SL Apo is a great lens however it doesn't get me "into places" like an M lens does. I also have the 50 SL Summicron Asph which I have used a couple of times and a Sigma 35 which is still in the box in the filing cabinet. The 35 M APO is out of my reach, well maybe not but I already have three 35 mm lenses, four is I count the Sigma. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 7:24 AM, Ronaldraw said:

I'm also considering this combination

Are their more Leica shooter's who use this combination?

I use this combination - let me know if you have any specific questions.

I got the 35mm APO M to use on my M10-R and then picked up an SL2-S body during one of the promotions to use as a "M-EVF". I've really enjoyed the combination. The 35 APO M lived on the SL2-S for the first few months I had it. It looks a little funky - to my eye - to have such a small lens on such a big body, but the combination is lovely in use.

I’d buy one in a heartbeat.  But SL apo version is tops optically, weatherproof, AF, and much less expensive, so SL wins for me easily.  That being said, I’d love to have the m version for slightly smaller size and M use also when desired.

Robb

• Like 2