Help me pick my first SL lens

matted

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At long last I have an SL2s on its way to me (along with an M adapter of course) and this has left me with a big decision to make... based on budget, I can only purchase one SL lens for the time being, and I am pretty stuck. The SL2s will be semi-replacing my Fuji XT3 in my kit, which is my go to camera for most anything requiring AF or video, a job it shares with my Q2. For my XT3 I have 35FF FOV equivalents of: 24, 50, 85, and 135 (28 and 35 FOV has been taken care of by x100s and Q2 over the years). In terms of usage, I would rank them 50>85>24>135. Hard to know where the x100s and Q2 would slot in there as they have slightly different use cases than the XT3 would with a 28 or 35mm lens.

I enjoy using M lenses on the XT3 some of the time, but it is difficult to acquire critical sharpness with the EVF and the crop factor kills some of the fun. This is one of the big reasons I acquired the SL2s, so I can enjoy the full FOV of these wonderful lenses, and then have AF lenses for when the situation calls for it. For M, I have a 21, 28,  3x 35s, 50, and may be acquiring a 75 soon. Most of my shooting is family/street/travel with some occasional event/wedding/documentary/sports stuff. I'm pretty sure the SL2s AF can handle everything I need it to,  but if not I will be keeping my XT3 kit for anything requiring AF tracking. If the SL2s can handle everything I need it to then I may be able to sell my entire Fuji kit for 80% of another SL lens.

The contenders

1. 35mm APO SL: The 300lb gorilla of image quality in a reasonable form factor (about the same as my current biggest lenses, the Fuji 16, 56, and 90). I know I will be getting this lens eventually, but it is hard to justify it as an only AF lens for the SL2s when considering my use cases and what I already own; 3x M 35s, a Q2, etc.
  2. 50mm APO SL: Also a stellar performer, but it is said it is not quite as good as the 35 and 75. Would pair very well with the Q2.
  3. 75mm APO SL: Perhaps not a normal "only AF lens" choice but it would pair well with the Q2 and/or M 28/35
  4. 24-90 Vario SL: Great performer and most versatile, obviously, but the size/weight is substantial

The most obvious answer is the 24-90 Vario, as it will give me unequalled versatility in a single lens without compromising performance at all. The problem? You may have noticed that my current kit does not include any zooms... I have owned a number of them in the past but invariably sell them due to either the performance compromises or the size/weight. I do very much prefer shooting with primes, but since I'm already well covered with M primes that will work very well for any MF situations then perhaps the 24-90 makes sense in this case. The 50 APO seems to make sense, and I certainly have a history of starting most of my systems with a 50 (or 50 equivalent) but I have found myself finding the 50 either not long enough or wide enough lately and think that an eventual 35/75 combo would be killer, so it would make more sense to acquire one of those first.

Anyway, sorry for the long read. Any thoughts or help anyone can lend would be greatly appreciated!

I have all 4 of those lenses and 90 % of the time I use the 24-90mm or 24-70mm 2.8 plus 35mmLux-M when I need a faster lens..

the zoom lens is heavy, but versatile . taking 3-4 SL prime is even more weight to carry.

The SL prime are good, but I only take them when I know exactly what I will be doing, for example portraits than the 75mm is in hand.

• Thanks 1

If you versatile but heavy, get the 24-90.

If you want a lens that will make your jaw drop every time you shoot with it, go for either the 35 or 75.

This is a 35 SL Summicron shot:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts! I have a line on a decently priced 24-90 in Canada so I think I am leaning towards that. Can always sell it later if I find I leave it at home more often than not.

It also sounds like I am correct in holding out for 35/75 pair of APO lenses instead of the 50 APO. Does the 50 not offer the same jaw dropping performance, or have you just not used it?

8 minutes ago, matted said:

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts! I have a line on a decently priced 24-90 in Canada so I think I am leaning towards that. Can always sell it later if I find I leave it at home more often than not.

It also sounds like I am correct in holding out for 35/75 pair of APO lenses instead of the 50 APO. Does the 50 not offer the same jaw dropping performance, or have you just not used it?

Haven’t used it but I’m sure it’s just as amazing. At this level you are talking really minute fractional differences in ultimate quality, it’s kind of ridiculous to criticize any of these lenses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, thanks again for the thoughts. I think I am going to go for the 24-90. Looks like it is a bit cheaper than the APO primes so that opens the door for me to add either an 80-200/4 or 180/3.4 R lens for some reach until I can add the 90-280 later on.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If I had to choose just one, 24-90. However, like you I also have a Q2 and to be honest I am so in love with the 35 APO that has become my go to carry around camera, despite the differences in size between the SL2/35 and the Q2. The SL2/35mm APO is just amazing.  I have never been happier with any camera/lens combo. 

I also just took delivery of the Sigma Sport 150-600. We will see how this performs. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, matted said:

35 and 75 are a good combination.

The 50mm is good too.  I have all 3 lenses but most of the time I like the rendering of 50 Summilux-M and Noctslux 50mm.

I most the time use the 35mm Summilux-m  because I like the rendering of the Lux rendering.. you should know that the difference is not huge, maybe 5% IQ improvement 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Priaptor said:

If I had to choose just one, 24-90. However, like you I also have a Q2 and to be honest I am so in love with the 35 APO that has become my go to carry around camera, despite the differences in size between the SL2/35 and the Q2. The SL2/35mm APO is just amazing.  I have never been happier with any camera/lens combo. 

I also just took delivery of the Sigma Sport 150-600. We will see how this performs. 

Thanks for the thoughts. I think the 35mm APO is inevitable for me, and I'll see what happens with my Q2 then! The Q2 certainly is not perfect, but it is incredibly versatile and about as large as a camera/lens combo can get while still being called "compact" in my books, although it is really pushing some boundaries there... I can't imagine bringing the SL2s and 35mm in all of the same situations, but who knows.

14 hours ago, Photoworks said:

35 and 75 are a good combination.

The 50mm is good too.  I have all 3 lenses but most of the time I like the rendering of 50 Summilux-M and Noctslux 50mm.

I most the time use the 35mm Summilux-m  because I like the rendering of the Lux rendering.. you should know that the difference is not huge, maybe 5% IQ improvement 

Thank you again. I will also be getting a 50 Summilux eventually, and think it would complement the 35/75 APOs well in that regard.

I have made my decision... I just pulled the trigger on the 24-90 SL as my first lens. Eventually I will add the 35 and 75 APO, the 24 if it ever comes out, and possibly the 90-280. Maybe after they complete the 21 and 24 they will work on a 135 APO? One can dream...

52 minutes ago, matted said:

Thanks for the thoughts. I think the 35mm APO is inevitable for me, and I'll see what happens with my Q2 then! The Q2 certainly is not perfect, but it is incredibly versatile and about as large as a camera/lens combo can get while still being called "compact" in my books, although it is really pushing some boundaries there... I can't imagine bringing the SL2s and 35mm in all of the same situations, but who knows.

I get it. I thought the same. Each has to find their own. For me, maybe there is some confirmation bias going on, who knows, although I own both and I truly enjoy the SL2/35APO so much I just find myself, no matter the situation, bringing it with me instead of me reaching for the Q2. This spring/summer will be the real test. By no means am I denigrating the ability of the Q2 it is just a testament to how good the 35 is. 

• Thanks 1

The SL system is very versatile; many different user needs and preferences.  I keep my M lenses (28/35/50) on my M bodies, and SL lenses on my SL2 for times when weather sealing, AF, different focal lengths/zooms… and, importantly, a different viewing/shooting experience….fit the bill.  The 24-90 and 90-280 now serve those needs, having sold the SL75, which was getting neglected.  You’ll know soon enough what, if anything, you’re missing.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

If I had to go with just one lens it would be the 2470. I prefer it over the 2490 (which I also still own) because of smaller size.

In regards of 35-50-75 , I would just decide which lens / focal length fits your needs. They are all excellent lenses.

if there are limited budget, I would also think about third party options, like Sigma 45mm or CV 35 APO or 50 APO (there re many other great lenses from Zeiss, Sigma, CV, Panasonic)

• Thanks 1

All these lenses are fantastic.  If you shoot any video, the 24-90 is very efficient.  It’s reach is also just about perfect wide to long to do just about anything.

I would go 75 though as it is my absolute favorite and is perfect if you will shoot the q2 at same outing.

Robb

• Thanks 1

Thanks again everyone for the thoughts! My 24-90 should be here today, and my SL2-s today or tomorrow. I'm a little disappointed the 24-90 is not parfocal for video work, but it should work very well as a "variable prime". Very curious to see how the manual focus ring feels and behaves.