M8 blue dead

Flori

15 minutes ago, jaapv said:

That looks very much like a dead sensor; too expensive to repair.

Wondering why you say that, Jaap?  The camera appears to take pictures okay and Play shows them on the LCD.  Not sure what I've missed here. 🤔

Pete.

In that case it must be the another electronic failure. Although I did not see it display the images that were blue/whitish on the LCD.  In any case, send to Leica, the camera can still be serviced, however, costs can exceed worth very quickly.

42 minutes ago, farnz said:

Wondering why you say that, Jaap?  The camera appears to take pictures okay and Play shows them on the LCD.  Not sure what I've missed here. 🤔

Pete.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A guy recently posted they cost Leica NJ quoted him for a new sensor and some electronic repair as well as a CLA. It wasn't much more than what a used M8 is now going for. So if there is any question of replacing the camera, a trip to Leica for repair would be a good thing, at least get a quote and remember it comes back with a warranty.

Do the saved images on the SD card look okay? When you open the files on your computer do they look like the camera monitor? If not, it might just be the display has gone bad or there is a short in one of the connections. If the files look the same on your computer as they do on the camera monitor, then you probably have a sensor problem. 

Good luck, and please let us know how this is resolved.

I'm afraid that video does not show me anything useful.

Except that trying to make an exposure with the lens set face down on something, while set to auto-exposure "A" shutter mode, won't record anything but blackness.

But will result in a really long exposure of several seconds, thereby triggering the long-exposure-noise-reduction mode, and locking up the shutter for another several seconds (perfectly normal).

Does the friend understand digital cameras have a white-balance control, and how to set it?

Easy to get "blue" pictures if the WB is set for "tungsten light bulbs" but the pictures are made by daylight. Especially if the daylight is blue-ish anyway (cloudy day, or "sky light" coming through windows.)

Doesn't appear to be the LCD to me. Which is a good thing, since the M8 LCDs went out of production a decade ago, as revealed during the "coffee-stain" issue.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 8:13 AM, Flori said:

YES THE CAMRA SAVE ALL IMAGES ON THE SD CARD WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM!

Then the problem is with the display and not the sensor. There's a chance that it might just be a ribbon connector problem, but I don't think I'd put any money into a repair. Leica no longer has parts for the display. I would, however, continue to use the camera if you can without the display. You could easily sell it for $500.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!
The problem was the Leica M8 screen. Unfortunately, the display is dead. After turning on the machine, the display works for about 3-5 minutes, after which the display turns white with a blue stripe. The camera continues to work, it lets you press the shutter button.

Leica service said it could not be repaired!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Flori
  • Thanks 1

The good news is that the camera still takes / records images.

Looking on the positive side you state that..."After turning on the machine, the display works for about 3-5 minutes..."...so I'd suggest the most practical approach from now on would be for your friend to use it as if it were a film camera or, more accurately, as if it were one of Leica's screenless 'D' versions such as the Leica M-D 262 / M10D.

First thing to do after switching on would be to set any important parameters for which they might have a preference (such as ISO / DNG / JPEG etc.) and, after these have been set, simply to just get on with taking photographs. Who knows? They might find they prefer using the camera in such a fashion.

If they would like any tips on how to go about it then I'd suggest they post questions in the M240/M262/MD262 sub-section where, I'm sure, forum members will be happy to offer some words of advice. My own initial approach in terms of 'Set-up Importance' - if I found myself in such a position - would be to set the camera to DNG. After that the rest is just gravy.

I wish them good fortune.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

The other option is to turn it off after you take a picture and turn it on before you take one. I do that anyway, in most cases...does it always work after turning off and on again? Or maybe it is heat related, and after the display has been on long enough, something in the heating causes it to have an error? In that case, it might need time to cool down. I would turn off auto-review if that is the case. You might get a bit longer use out of it.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Looks like the exceedingly rare and highly sought after M8D prototype.

I'd have one!

Seriously; who really needs a screen as long as ISO can be set? If the r/finder is working and the shutter-speeds are accurate-enough then there isn't any insurmountable problem to using the camera at all. If the TTL metering is functioning then even better (IMO).

Philip.

Edited by pippy