First Digital M options M240, M-P240 or M262

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Nice decision on M262 with two years peace of mind.

How about the lens ?

Half case is again individual "feeling" and no one can help.

Some would complain thicker digital M body before M10 AND use half case, I don't quite follow the logic, but why not.

Others would use soft release, why not.

In my view, Leica M is self-sufficient, I just add one lens and a strap (no soft button or case), then joy of use can begin.

I will look into half cases for those long vacation trips in the future, but for now, I think I prefer the feeling of it "naked".

For lenses, I was thinking about $1.5k budget and picking up a fast 35mm lens like a 1.4/1.5 perhaps a voiglander or something because I love bokeh (for portraits) and shooting during blue hour. 

Any recommendations? 

My M 262 usually carries a 75mm lens as it travels with a Q for wider angles.  When the Q stays home I use a Zeiss C Biogon but it is only f/2.8.  That is adequate for my needs.  I have no issues with lens image quality.

The only other options I use are a thumb rest -- https://haogefoto.com/products/haoge-thb-m24b-metal-hot-shoe-thumb-up-rest-hand-grip-for-leica-m-typ240-m240-m-p-typ-240-m240p-m-type262-m262-m-d-type-262-camera-black -- and a Leica 1.25 viewfinder magnifier used only when the 75mm lens is mounted.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 69xchange said:

I will look into half cases for those long vacation trips in the future, but for now, I think I prefer the feeling of it "naked".

For lenses, I was thinking about $1.5k budget and picking up a fast 35mm lens like a 1.4/1.5 perhaps a voiglander or something because I love bokeh (for portraits) and shooting during blue hour. 

Any recommendations? 

Just an opinion ...

Not the best lenses at any situation, but for me best buy for any situation, I name the Summarit-M lens line, I have in 2.5 35mm, 50mm, 75mm.

They marry very well with my light M262, and the three can become a very nice "light" kit with M262.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 69xchange said:

...For lenses, I was thinking about $1.5k budget and picking up a fast 35mm lens like a 1.4/1.5 perhaps a voiglander or something...

Any recommendations? 

There are dozens of choices and, as ever, personal preferences will always come to the fore in any decision-making. 

From a personal point of view were I to be in your situation my choice would be the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 (v2) Nokton which gets stand-out rave reviews from practically everyone who has used it. It shares much of its ethos with the original Leica Summilux which is to say that it's fast, tiny and light with an interesting render with a range which seems to offer a more 'classic' Leica signature wide open to very modern once the aperture moves below f2. The earlier (v1) type had issues with focus-shift but these were addressed for the new version.

Philip.

• Like 3

My M262 as simple as it is needed only once update firmware.

1.1.0.0 is on it and I even don't bother check if there is one newer firmware.

This M262 works well, so I'm not in hurry to "update", and those new released lenses added to newer firmware(s) are not in my want list.

For more,

if not done, have a read here

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Strange, which charger do you have ?

When battery in camera, you can push center button as "info" to see how "good" (% )it is.

It's the one that came with the open box M 262 and its untouched. Genuine Leica brand , but the box and the contents inside dates back to 2016/01/22. I wonder if the 6 years it has been sitting on shelf has anything to do with that weird issue. I want to get a full charge before I pop the battery in to the camera for the first time as per instruction manual.

Too bad, so old battery.

In the manual, you would see somewhere that battery needs to be charged twice a year for about 15 min. if not in use.

And somewhere else, recommendation to replace battery every four years.

In my use regularly, battery can be used much longer than "stated" four years.

Some of my M8/M9 batteries are more than ten years old, and still strong.

Your battery must be replaced, by the seller, I fear

because of keeping non use so long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

Too bad, so old battery.

In the manual, you would see somewhere that battery needs to be charged twice a year for about 15 min. if not in use.

And somewhere else, recommendation to replace battery every four years.

In my use regularly, battery can be used much longer than "stated" four years.

Some of my M8/M9 batteries are more than ten years old, and still strong.

Your battery must be replaced, by the seller, I fear

because of keeping non use so long.

Yup, I charged it for the second time and after another hour and a half, it started flashing again. I was fed up because basically it has been charging for 10 hours. So I stuck the battery into the camera and the M 262 wouldn't even turn on.. I am just bad luck with brand new leica's... But anyways it was expected for a 6 year old battery that has been sitting.

21 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Is a new battery in your possession ?

Not yet, it's being shipped to me from the store. It will arrive on Monday, but my wedding photoshoot is on Sunday 😢

I guess I'll just use my Canon set up. I was really hoping to take this M out for a spin.

2 hours ago, 69xchange said:

I guess I'll just use my Canon set up. I was really hoping to take this M out for a spin.

Better idea than using for first time your "new" digital M.

The wedding photos will not be "Leica Med" but you will not asking yourself if something wrong if from "new M" or other things.

Or ask around you if there is a battery BP-SCL2 in a shop or "on line", a second battery is not mandatory with sober M262, but having one charged

and ready can be a good move in future use.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Better idea than using for first time your "new" digital M.

The wedding photos will not be "Leica Med" but you will not asking yourself if something wrong if from "new M" or other things.

Or ask around you if there is a battery BP-SCL2 in a shop or "on line", a second battery is not mandatory with sober M262, but having one charged

and ready can be a good move in future use.

Good idea on having a spare / 2nd battery! I will shop around, but once it has been 100% confirmed that its the battery issue and not the charger or even the camera xD

Edited by 69xchange

• 3 weeks later...

New update... I hate my M 262... Brand new, open box with dead on arrival battery and now this...

Froze 4 times within less than 30 mins and everytime it wouldn't shut off or respond. The only way to reset it was to take the battery out, only to freeze again shortly after.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

19 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

You are unlucky.

Is your SD card new AND reliable ?

What do you see after pressing INFO button ?

SD card was purchased last year. It's a san disk Extreme Pro 64gb SDXC and it was on my Canon 6D ii camera for 6 months working wonderfully before I reformatted on desktop and swapped it to my Leica. 

Nothing happens when I press INFO when it freezes. The camera doesnt even respond to the power switch. When i try turning it off, the frame lines and metering arrows remain lit up and frozen. The other time, the shutter was stuck open at 1/60th of a second for about 5 minutes before freezing again. The only way to reset it is to take the bottom plate off and the battery out. 

This is my THIRD brand new Leica with issues. The only Leica camera that has not let me down is my USED M8.2 that has been my daily "beater". I am hoping the store will refund me as it was purchased early April and was marked as Final sale, but I havent used it until the brand new battery came in today..

Also I don't plan on buying new Leica products anymore. I'll probably pick up a used M240 or a second M8 body if I can get a refund.

I am very frustrated as I already bought all my accessories (half case & screen protector) and a new black 50mm LLL lens to match this camera. It feels like a waste now. 

Edited by 69xchange