First Digital M options M240, M-P240 or M262

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am in the market for my first digital M system and trying to figure out which one to get.. I am located in Canada but prices will be listed as USD

1) M240 (mint & local) $2800 USD

2) M-P 240 (well used & local) $3300 USD

3) M-P 240 (near mint but non-local) $3700 USD + before duties & tax

4) M-P 240 (excellent condition but from US leica store w/ 60 day guarantee) $3500 USD + before duties & tax

5) M 262 (Open box & from local authorized dealer w/ full warranty) $4000 USD + before tax

Personally my first option is the open box M 262, because I dont need video or care too much about LV. I also wouldn't mind paying an extra premium (a reasonable amount) for the full warranty & piece of mind so that is why I am even considering the M 262.. But $4000 USD for an open box M 262, is that reasonable or silly? Also what does a pre-owned mint M 262 go for now a days? $2000?

My second choice is an M-P 240. The M-P 240 has a 2GB buffering system so that attracted me, but my local M-P 240 is pretty "well used" and buying a mint or excellent condition copy from the US would bring the price (after duties and taxes) similar to the open box M 262. At this point, is the 2Gb buffering and option to LV more worth it than the warranty & peace of mind?

My third option is to pick up a local mint M240 and eventually upgrade because i heard the buffering isnt that great and sometime freezes. But would I be over paying at $2800? I've seen some excellent/mint M240's sell for $2000-$2200 USD in late 2021. Please correct me if im wrong.

The wisest thing to do is to pick the cheapest & locals deals which is the M240 for $2800 or M-P 240 for $3300 ,but I don't know if I will be satisfied with the M240 because knowing I can pay a bit more, I would get faster buffering but with the local M-P240, its not mint and I prefer for a well cared / mint camera. Again if i pay a bit more, I can get a mint M-P240 but at the same time I can also get an unused M 262 with full warranty... 

Anyways, I just wanted  a different opinion and would anyone even consider the open box M 262 for the full manufacturers warranty since there is no way we can find out the shutter count for these cameras without sending it to Germany.

*edit i believe the M-p240 is water sealed as well, but what about the M 262?

Edited by 69xchange
  • Like 1

Hello,

I know that choice is not easy.

Sometimes we make a problem when in real life use the problem is just not there.

To help you with my years long experiences of some of those digital M, just some opinions.

I cannot help to choose one though, only you can do.

- each M would give about same output, so if results are the "main objective", each one would do.

- the lighter aluminium M262 is a joy to carry around but balance is not so good with big/heavy lens

( mine weights are M240, 682g and M262, 595g with "same" battery )

- in my use, never experience freezing or "buffer full" in any of them

-I use them often in rain, so they are not water sealed but usable with care in wet weather, I wipe water drops from time to time.

( base plate of the two are interchangeable, some rubber gaskets added for "flowing water")

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Hello,

I know that choice is not easy.

Sometimes we make a problem when in real life use the problem is just not there.

To help you with my years long experiences of some of those digital M, just some opinions.

I cannot help to choose one though, only you can do.

- each M would give about same output, so if results are the "main objective", each one would do.

- the lighter aluminium M262 is a joy to carry around but balance is not so good with big/heavy lens

( mine weights are M240, 682g and M262, 595g with "same" battery )

- in my use, never experience freezing or "buffer full" in any of them

-I use them often in rain, so they are not water sealed but usable with care in wet weather, I wipe water drops from time to time.

( base plate of the two are interchangeable, some rubber gaskets added for "flowing water")

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. It's good to know these extra details like the weight difference.

I'd go with the M 262 for pretty much exactly the points you raise at the start of your 'thoughts' bit. Personally I'd far rather an M262 than any of the rest on your list in any case but, of course, I know it wouldn't be everyone's first choice.

In terms of how much I'd expect to pay for a 'mint' example of that type of camera here in the UK? Well; it isn't anything like $2,000!...

I've just had a very quick check of stock available from some of the UK's reputable dealerships and, currently, there is a choice of several priced between £2,489 and £2,849 which equates to $3,256 and $3,727 depending on condition etc. Things might well be very different where you live. I've no idea how much 'taxes' will add to the price you mention but to get what is effectively a brand-new camera for $4,000 seems - to me - to be an attractive prospect.

Good luck in your choice whichever way you choose to go.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, pippy said:

I'd go with the M 262 for pretty much exactly the points you raise at the start of your 'thoughts' bit. Personally I'd far rather an M262 than any of the rest on your list in any case but, of course, I know it wouldn't be everyone's first choice.

In terms of how much I'd expect to pay for a 'mint' camera? I've just had a very quick check of stock available from some of the UK's reputable dealerships and, currently, there is a choice of several priced between £2,489 and £2,849 which equates to $3,256 and $3,727. I've no idea how much 'taxes' will add to the price you mention but to get what is effectively a brand-new camera for $4,000 seems - to me - to be an attractive prospect.

Good luck in your choice whichever way you choose to go.

Philip.

Thank you for your thoughts and for checking online in your local area (UK) and posting the numbers for a pre-owned mint M262.

• Thanks 1

M262 were not "popular" when new, so not often found in pre-owned.

Yesterday, one offer complete for 2,300€ in France ( link to the particular add, in French ), but I think it's already reserved.

Another details : lack of field selector lever on M240/262, present on M-P (typ 240).

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Yesterday, one offer complete for 2,300€ in France ( link to the particular add, in French ), but I think it's already reserved.

Another details : lack of field selector lever on M240/262, present on M-P (typ 240).

That listing you linked seems like a good deal for the M 262 because 2,300 Euros = 2539 USD.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Yesterday, one offer complete for 2,300€ in France ( link to the particular add, in French ), but I think it's already reserved...

Was the M262 not a popular choice at the time, Arnaud? I've no idea about the relevant production numbers. If it wasn't a popular choice then I do wonder why not. Most odd. Almost as odd as the M-D Typ-262 not becoming Leica's biggest seller!......:lol:......

2,300 Euros does seem to be a bargain! It's not being offered by a dealer, of course, so no warranty but it's still a good deal. Through the advert I've also added a new word - "dragonne" - to my vocabulaire so thanks, too, for that!

Philip.

Unless you purely want to go rangefinder mode with the M262 I'd suggest the MP to add some versatility to your shooting style. You didn't describe what your genre is or shooting style though

If you want to experiment with lenses (tele/wide) having evf/LV would be quite helpful even to those with 20/20 vision lol. Imo the m262 is really recommended only for lenses between 28-50. An additional magnifier would help with eye relief.

All the best

• Like 1

I am a very happy M-P 240 user. I got it about a year ago from Leica Miami for $3500. I have been dealing with them for years and I am a very happy customer. All the said models you mentioned will do the job. But I focus more on the source (dealer, etc.) of your purchase. I paid a bit more because of the reputation of the seller. Something to consider.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cboy said:

Unless you purely want to go rangefinder mode with the M262 I'd suggest the MP to add some versatility to your shooting style. You didn't describe what your genre is or shooting style though

If you want to experiment with lenses (tele/wide) having evf/LV would be quite helpful even to those with 20/20 vision lol. Imo the m262 is really recommended only for lenses between 28-50. An additional magnifier would help with eye relief.

All the best

Thanks! Totally forgot about the telephoto lenses! And I do portrait, but mainly with 35mm focal length and sometimes 50mm, rarely do I go with longer or wider.

13 minutes ago, kivis said:

I am a very happy M-P 240 user. I got it about a year ago from Leica Miami for $3500. I have been dealing with them for years and I am a very happy customer. All the said models you mentioned will do the job. But I focus more on the source (dealer, etc.) of your purchase. I paid a bit more because of the reputation of the seller. Something to consider.

Wow, the price of the M-P 240 hasn't depreciated since! Its the same price as the one I am looking at from Leica. May I ask if they offered you warranty on your pre-owned M-P240? The one I am looking at comes with 0 warranty, but instead with a 30 day "guarantee". 

Edited by 69xchange

As mentioned I have bought and sold several Leica M's both film and digital over the last 20 years at Leica Miami. The few times I needed a repair, they always found a way for Leica to cover me at no cost. Also they always gave me a like camera to use for free while my rig was in for repair. Can't beat that kind of service.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 69xchange said:

Wow, the price of the M-P 240 hasn't depreciated since! Its the same price as the one I am looking at from Leica. May I ask if they offered you warranty on your pre-owned M-P240? The one I am looking at comes with 0 warranty, but instead with a 30 day "guarantee". 

Is the camera you mention here the same as no. 4 in your original post? I ask because you mention#4 has a 60 day guarantee rather than the 30 you quote here.

In any case usually if something is inherently wrong with a camera such as the M-P 240 it will be clear from the outset. The state of the sensor / shutter actuation/accuracy/reliability / rangefinder condition etc. should all have been inspected, tried and tested before the dealership offered such an item for sale therefore a 60 day (or even a 30 day) guarantee suggests that the Leica dealership in question has full confidence in the camera's current condition and if it works throughout the period of the guarantee then there's no particular reason to doubt that it will continue to work exactly as it should well beyond this time-period.

As far as item-depreciation goes Leica M cameras - even the digital ones(!) - do seem to go down that particular slope at a more liesurely pace than the offerings from most other camera manufacturers. Indeed some of the less commonly-encountered versions might actually increase in value as time goes by...

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

Still using the M262 I bought new from Tamarkin in February, 2016. If I found an open box like that for $4,000 with full warranty today, I’d probably jump on it.

I paid the original price of $5,295, just before the price was raised another $300. Only Leica M, digital or film, I’ve ever bought new.

I’ve since bought, and subsequently sold, both an M240-P and M246 and kept my M262. Will use it as long as it’s working and I can get batteries for it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pippy said:

Is the camera you mention here the same as no. 4 in your original post? I ask because you mention#4 has a 60 day guarantee rather than the 30 you quote here.

In any case usually if something is inherently wrong with a camera such as the M-P 240 it will be clear from the outset. The state of the sensor / shutter actuation/accuracy/reliability / rangefinder condition etc. should all have been inspected, tried and tested before the dealership offered such an item for sale therefore a 60 day (or even a 30 day) guarantee suggests that the Leica dealership in question has full confidence in the camera's current condition and if it works throughout the period of the guarantee then there's no particular reason to doubt that it will continue to work exactly as it should well beyond this time-period.

As far as item-depreciation goes Leica M cameras - even the digital ones(!) - do seem to go down that particular slope at a more liesurely pace than the offerings from most other camera manufacturers. Indeed some of the less commonly-encountered versions might actually increase in value as time goes by...

Philip.

Sorry it was a typo, its actually 30days guarantee from Leica.

I finally decided and made the purchase on the new (open box) M262 w/ 2 Years warranty. Now I am debating if I should get a half case for it. I wish i could get a feeling of what the case would feel like. I assume it would feel bulkier.

Edit: Thank you guys for all your help !

Edited by 69xchange
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice decision on M262 with two years peace of mind.

How about the lens ?

Half case is again individual "feeling" and no one can help.

Some would complain thicker digital M body before M10 AND use half case, I don't quite follow the logic, but why not.

Others would use soft release, why not.

In my view, Leica M is self-sufficient, I just add one lens and a strap (no soft button or case), then joy of use can begin.

• Like 2