M9M purchase in 2022

Advertisement (gone after registration)

37 minutes ago, DennisPT said:

Rejoyce is the word that I relate when I take the M9M with me. Only hiccup so far is I can't review this image from the camera after plugging the SD card to my laptop for processing. The card is a 32GB SanDisk Ultra SDHC I (120MB/s).  Definitely something I can live with 😄.

Won't it be easy to copy the card content in your laptop to process the files ?

32 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Won't it be easy to copy the card content in your laptop to process the files ?

What I did was plugged the card and copied the file to the laptop for processing.  Maybe I should have locked or rejected the SD card before opening the PS to prevent data corruption. 

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Data corruption ?

When you read files in your laptop, can you read them ?

Now, if you reinsert your SD card in your laptop, can you see them in the card ?

Not sure if I used the right words (data corruption).  What I meant was the DNG file is still readable with the laptop but not with the camera (only the file number shows). 

That is odd,

to go further,

Please try this:

- in your computer, on the SD card make another copy of one file readable on your laptop, change the file name to something

like L1111111 then try to read this file in your Monochrom

- if readable in camera, then try to delete this L1111111 in Monochrom

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

That is odd,

to go further,

Please try this:

- in your computer, on the SD card make another copy of one file readable on your laptop, change the file name to something

like L1111111 then try to read this file in your Monochrom

- if readable in camera, then try to delete this L1111111 in Monochrom

Thank you for your suggestion, Arnaud. 

The image with a changed file name could not be detected in the M9M at all. 

Then, I checked that particular ‘problematic’ file and found out the EXIF data was changed somehow.  Maybe that was why the avatar wasn’t available in the M9M. 

Dennis

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by DennisPT
typo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/12/2022 at 4:06 AM, DennisPT said:

Then, I checked that particular ‘problematic’ file and found out the EXIF data was changed somehow.  Maybe that was why the avatar wasn’t available in the M9M. 

Dennis

I've been shooting the same M9M for very nearly ten years. Always kept the firmware up to date, and it received the new sensor back in 2016.

My M9M does exactly the same thing as yours. If I work on an image, then put the card back in the camera, the image I worked on comes up black on the LCD. It used to annoy me, but it's always done that, no matter what firmware or memory card I've been using. At least it's consistent, I suppose. I've just come to accept it as a quirk of the design, or possibly just my copy, so interesting to see that it's not just me.

18 minutes ago, colint544 said:

I've been shooting the same M9M for very nearly ten years. Always kept the firmware up to date, and it received the new sensor back in 2016.

My M9M does exactly the same thing as yours. If I work on an image, then put the card back in the camera, the image I worked on comes up black on the LCD. It used to annoy me, but it's always done that, no matter what firmware or memory card I've been using. At least it's consistent, I suppose. I've just come to accept it as a quirk of the design, or possibly just my copy, so interesting to see that it's not just me.

Thank you for sharing your M9M experience.  Good to know I am not alone!  Honestly this little 'feature' does not affect the pleasure of shooting with this peculiar camera. 

I should have posted this in the M240/M262 section but just for the record, yesterday I came across a used M240 BP offer that I could not resist.  Finally catching up the 2012 Leica digital world !

First impression is I have to be careful with the highlight exposure, just like using the M9M.  

If you want to ...

So later on, you will (could ?) try the Monochrom "same" M246 ?

As happy user of the two Monochroms, myself I can't choose which one, so I keep the two, MM1 and M246 😄

3 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

If you want to ...

So later on, you will (could ?) try the Monochrom "same" M246 ?

As happy user of the two Monochroms, myself I can't choose which one, so I keep the two, MM1 and M246 😄

Dear Arnaud,

Thank you for your forward thinking and suggestion.  I am still carrying the M9M everyday so I can use it for as much as I could.  I read the posts of the M240/262 forum and many said the B&W photos from the M240 are no slouch either.  I reckon the M246 must be on another level. 

For now, I am focused in getting comfortable with the B&W mindset as that is the reason why I bought the M9M.  Simple things like frame line accuracy and getting optimum exposure tricked me a number of times in the past few days so the learning curve is rather steep (it’s a shame as I have been using the M9 for a number of years 😅).  I have to admit getting the M240 is a distraction (GAS or whatever) but it gives me choices down the road.  My M240 is quite beat up (brassing, clicky LCD back screen)  so I know I will get the most out of it when the right time comes. 

Many thanks again. 
Dennis

Dennis,

take time to learn these "new" M.

The benefit will be yours in less time than you would think.

My joke of "future" M246 is maybe when I think of my two Monochroms.

The M246 was bought for me a more modern MM1 (I planned to sell this one, but never did) and the MM1 or M246 outputs are so nice.

MM1 is simple/old style Monochrom with some flaws ( battery, loud noise ... nothing to talk about when I'm used to ), when I see the results, nothing less than the newer one.

On 4/12/2022 at 11:06 AM, DennisPT said:

Dennis

thats an issue i found in each M camera so far, when i took the SD card, open the file in ACR, edit a bit, and put the card back in the camera, those images wont display

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2022 at 11:06 AM, DennisPT said:

Dennis

typical issue with leica cameras, when you open a file, without copying it away from the memory card, and you make some changes(even dont save anything) it will change something in the header of the file and the camera wont display the image anymore on the camera display

• 1 month later...

Just bought an M9M yesterday for a really good price and obviously I'm still in honeymoon phase and loving it so far.  It's my first digital M, and the last time I had a digital camera system was X-Pro1 back in 2015 (before I sold it all to go all in on an analog M system) so the older tech nuances don't really bother me as much as people were complaining about it some reviews I was reading.  CCD ID is 53 so it was replaced (not sure when), I'm not concerned with sensor corrosion.  Just want to get a feel of how long these are supposed to last, if anyone here has a good idea.  The shutter count right now is 44575, which I don't really feel is scary high, and everything seems to be working perfectly, but wasn't sure if I should be concerned.

6 hours ago, sonny16 said:

Just bought an M9M yesterday for a really good price and obviously I'm still in honeymoon phase and loving it so far.  It's my first digital M, and the last time I had a digital camera system was X-Pro1 back in 2015 (before I sold it all to go all in on an analog M system) so the older tech nuances don't really bother me as much as people were complaining about it some reviews I was reading.  CCD ID is 53 so it was replaced (not sure when), I'm not concerned with sensor corrosion.  Just want to get a feel of how long these are supposed to last, if anyone here has a good idea.  The shutter count right now is 44575, which I don't really feel is scary high, and everything seems to be working perfectly, but wasn't sure if I should be concerned.

Congratulations @sonny16, I just use my M9M as if it is a film M.  I won't pamper it but at the same time I won't abuse it.  I won't let the shutter count bother me unless I sell it (don't think I will ever but never say never).  The support of 3rd party battery adds the camera's longevity IMHO.

21 hours ago, 1joel1 said:

Just bought an M9M 2 weeks ago and it is awesome. I then bought a Nikkor 5cm f1.4 in M mount from the same seller. Can't wait until it arrives tomorrow.

Nikkor 5cm in M mount ?

Interesting.

First time for me reading this.

Transformation or just LTM lens with LTM to M adapter ?

12 hours ago, DennisPT said:

Congratulations @1joel1!  The classic Sonnar design will shine on the M9M, have fun!

I can add that every lens shines on Monochrom, if well use ( or having learned to use).