Abuse for using a Leica???

barnabythebear

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Just an anecdote from the weekend.

I was out enjoying the sun and taking some shots around Notting Hill, London with my Q2 and a guy (American for detail), walked past and sneered at me "where's your proper camera then?". I was quite taken aback but It got me thinking about whether other photographers resent the brand or its users? I sometimes read the comments on Leica news items over at DP Review and there does seem to be a minority who have trouble with Leica and its users.

Thank you,

Nige.

2 hours ago, barnabythebear said:

Hi all,

Just an anecdote from the weekend.

I was out enjoying the sun and taking some shots around Notting Hill, London with my Q2 and a guy (American for detail), walked past and sneered at me "where's your proper camera then?". I was quite taken aback but It got me thinking about whether other photographers resent the brand or its users? I sometimes read the comments on Leica news items over at DP Review and there does seem to be a minority who have trouble with Leica and its users.

Thank you,

Nige.

So where was your proper camera, then? 😇 😁

• Haha 6

Hi,

Leica is the only brand I’ve used where people stop and ask about it, always quite positive comments too, that’s why this guy surprised me so much. I do get the impression though that a minority think Leica is for hipsters or rich hobbyists, of which I am definitely neither :) 

Thank you,

Nige. 

• Like 3

Unless you spoke with him, you do not actually know he was commenting on it being a Leica. It could just be a daft comment that you were using a camera and not a phone. I see no point in letting it create any thought other than it was good of the person to notice you. 

• Like 6

Related to Marc B-C's post above, I think it's quite likely that he was being ironical. As has already been noted, most people these days use a phone and not a "proper" camera, and he may simply be making an ironical remark to the effect that you were doing precisely the opposite of that, namely, using a proper camera.

PS: Needless to say therefore, I do not subscribe to the sometimes asserted cliché that Americans have no sense of irony!

Edited by masjah
  • Like 6

40 minutes ago, masjah said:

Related to Marc B-C's post above, I think it's quite likely that he was being ironical. As has already been noted, most people these days use a phone and not a "proper" camera, and he may simply be making an ironical remark to the effect that you were doing precisely the opposite of that, namely, using a proper camera.

PS: Needless to say therefore, I do not subscribe to the sometimes asserted cliché that Americans have no sense of irony!

I agree. That was my first reaction.

• Like 1

It happens.

Approaching a camera accessories kiosk at a mall in Bangkok a couple of years ago, I asked the young lady proprietor about availability of a product.  While she was checking her paperwork, a man (American) who'd been chatting her up, looked at my CL, and with deep mock-seriousness said, "That looks just like a serious camera."  I ignored him, finished my business, and left.

Last year while shooting birds with an SL2 in a park near my home (in Singapore) a cyclist (American) stopped behind me, watched for a moment, and said sarcastically, "Canon or Nikon just won't do, eh?"  I ignored him and continued shooting.

FTR, I'm American.  Even fellow photographers in these parts never comment on my gear.  

Go figure . . . 🤔

• Like 2

Tangential coincidence, but I was shooting a concert for some musician friends over the weekend.  We were hanging out in the dressing room when a gentleman walked in and introduced himself as the event photographer. Apparently he had been invited by the venue and had no idea there was another photographer present. He seemed a little taken aback by my presence, but was cordial and left us to continue our conversation.  As the show began, I went to photograph the artists going on stage and as I pulled out my M, he happened to be nearby. He took one look and said, "You win."  Obviously it was not the time to point out that only common denominator of good photographs is that they're made by good photographers. But the nature of the comment irked me a little, so I retorted, "Yes. I usually do." 

I don't typically view photography as a competition, but it reminded me of my bygone days racing. If you kicked someone's ass, very often they'd stop by in the paddock after the race wondering about the car, almost never about how to better approach tackling the track.  After a while I grew to realize that those of lesser talent believed that if  they passed you, it was their skill that managed it, but if you got around them, it was always because you had a better car.  Apparently, for some, photography's no different. Sometimes it can be difficult, but it's generally best to just keep working on one's craft and ignore the noise. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, barnabythebear said:

Hi,

Leica is the only brand I’ve used where people stop and ask about it, always quite positive comments too, that’s why this guy surprised me so much. I do get the impression though that a minority think Leica is for hipsters or rich hobbyists, of which I am definitely neither :) 

Thank you,

Nigel

Back in the 70’s when I was young and skint, my car was a Citroen 2cv Having one of those was a frequent trigger for provoking the ignorant and stupid into making a derisory comment or two about my car.

One mémorable incident was when I was on holiday with my girlfriend in Cornwall.  I had just parked the car and as we were getting out, a middle aged couple walking by stopped and stared at the car and the man said loudly enough that it was clearly directed at me: ‘Only the French would make a thing like that!’.

They then got into their Austin Allegro which refused to start.

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1
  • Haha 12

24 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Back in the 70’s when I was young and skint, my car was a Citroen 2cv Having one of those was a frequent trigger for provoking the ignorant and stupid into making a derisory comment or two about my car.

One mémorable incident was when I was on holiday with my girlfriend in Cornwall.  I had just parked the car and as we were getting out, a middle aged couple walking by stopped and stared at the car and the man said loudly enough that it was clearly directed at me: ‘Only the French would make a thing like that!’.

They then got into their Austin Allegro which refused to start.

The 2cv was a great design for its time (pre-WWII). Wonderful ride, easy to drive and maintain, cheap to run. In terms of design, right up there with the VW Beetle.

I regret that I never had one.

• Like 1