21mm F2 APO-Super-Summicron-SL ASPH LEICA SL

jbl375

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I acquired my SL2 yesterday.  As I am looking for a suitable 21mm for my new camera, I notice that I may have to rely on old glasses from Leica, either M or R lenses.  I am using Sony A7RIV with Zeiss lenses all the time for landscape and cityscape shooting as 21mm lens is my favorite lens.  I understand that using either M or R lenses requires adaptor and may have issues of soft edge especially with wide lenses.  So I prefer SL 21mm lens thinking that SL lens should work flawlessly with SL2.

My question is : when will 21mm F2 APO-Super-Summicron-SL ASPH LEICA SL be launched in the market?  Thanks!

:lol: Leica does what Leica does. Sometime between tomorrow and never. 

Actually, the Color-Skopar 21 by Voigtländer is as least as good as any Leica offering and for architecture the Zeiss ZM 21 is preferable for its lack of distortion, but yes, both are M lenses. 

• Haha 2

I tested the Sigma 20mm - look here in the international forum. As I said: Its not bad but has very much correction for distortion etc. and become so more a 22/23 mm lens but it has AF,  no adapter and f/1,8 and the edges are good. But if you have a 24mm, you really not need the Sigma.

What I've seen the old Super-Angulon R has some problems wide open with the edges, the same with my "old" 21mm M 2,8 non aspherical but at 5,6 it works well and I can use it on both : M ans SL (602).

Leicas 21mm is the stars, everybody is waiting for it and Panasonic has a 18mm in development. 

currently there are few options out there..

Sigma 14-24 is very sharp, big and heavy.

I use the Leica 21mm 3.4 Super Elmar M lens and it is a good option if you use SL and M cameras. M lenses on SL2 don't have any smearing, the sensor glass is difference from Sony.

At the same optical performance of the 21 SEM is the Panasonic lens 16-35, 20-60mm, I have all 3 lenses and they have comparable IQ at 21mm.

I believe that Sigma have recently announced their 20mm f2 DG DN I series Contemporary for L Mount?
This series of lenses is almost universally acknowledged as being a very good option for the Leica SL range. I agree with that view;  I have bought the 24mm f3.5, 35mm f2, 45mm f2.8 and, personally, I rate them. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 16 Stunden schrieb jbl375:

I acquired my SL2 yesterday.  As I am looking for a suitable 21mm for my new camera, I notice that I may have to rely on old glasses from Leica, either M or R lenses. ....

you don't have to rely on old glass. You can use the SL 16-35 mm lens.

Or you can use the 21/3.4 M which I would call old design.

When will the 21 mm SL prime come? Only Leica knows and I assume not even Leica knows ;) Welcome to Leica land.

But friendly the 2 lenses I mentioned do work very well.

I use the SL 16-35. For me it is excellent and so I have no need for the SL Apo 21mm.

It is expensive, but worth it. And it is a lot better than “old” glass. (R or M)

I still own the Contax 2.8/21 Distagon. Great for landscape, an old favorite. Also excellent but needs adaptation. But the SL 16-35 is better (IQ).

Edited by caissa

30 minutes ago, jbl375 said:

Is LEICA 21mm f/3.4 ASPH SUPER-ELMAR-M 6 bit lens?

What lenses did you get with your SL2 a few days ago?

May I ask: is it your first Leica?

Leica SL lenses have autofocus and are the best worldwide. Your dealer will most likely let you reconsider within less than a week and exchange.
Could be he can schedule (online) training with Leica Academy - or you contact them directly. Not knowing where you are located it is not easy to send you a link to the academy. 
Is the SL2 you purchased this week your first Leica?

Edited by tri

9 hours ago, jbl375 said:

Is LEICA 21mm f/3.4 ASPH SUPER-ELMAR-M 6 bit lens?

FYI, you can use the Leica Wiki to look-up these things.  It's linked at the top of this page.

Here's the Super-Elmar page: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/21mm_f/3.4_ASPH_Super-Elmar-M

The bayonet line says that it is only available as 6-bit. This makes sense because it was released after the M8 came-out (when all M lenses switched to 6-bit bayonets).

On 3/29/2022 at 1:42 AM, caissa said:

I use the SL 16-35. For me it is excellent and so I have no need for the SL Apo 21mm.

It is expensive, but worth it. And it is a lot better than “old” glass. (R or M)

I still own the Contax 2.8/21 Distagon. Great for landscape, an old favorite. Also excellent but needs adaptation. But the SL 16-35 is better (IQ).

I can confirm the the SL 16-35 lens at 21mm is optically superior to the R 21mm Super-Angulon f/4 lens, although it is a lot bigger.  (I don't think that all of the difference is due to my lamentable technique, either.)

On 3/31/2022 at 7:53 AM, jbl375 said:

Few M and R lenses:

Elmarit-M 28/2.8

Summaron 35/2.8

Summicron 5cm/2

Elmarit-M 90 2.8

Super-Angulon-R 1mm/4

Summicon-R 50/2

These lenses are left from your analog camera era, while you sold the M3, M4, M6 and R4 camera bodies?

Or did you buy them recently (a week ago) with your digital SL2?

• 1 year later...