Bag/Backpack Solution for 90-280mm

John Smith

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best solution for carrying an SL2 attached to a 90-280mm from place to place? I am looking for something that I can take from the house to the car mainly and then from the car to a location. I'm interested in the lightest and best fitting bag or backpack for this particular kit. In other words, I'm looking for something where I am loading up a bunch of other lenses too. 

I brought my SL2 with 90-280mm to Ypres this weekend to watch Gent-Wevelgem; they fit nicely into my Billingham Hadley One, with enough room on top for something smaller like a Q2 or other lenses. I did buy a Billingham 25 and although the SL2 with the lens does fit, it’s a tight squeeze. 

• Like 1

The Domke everyday backpack is perfect.  I’ve been looking for a solution forever and this fits the bill.  It fits the lens on the camera and room for other gear.

https://www.adorama.com/dmbprugwear.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwloCSBhAeEiwA3hVo_cPRANgFfFaoDqfFBQrmSHqUCk9zlN5erma-6elkgvWSR2L1tnvMuRoCcBAQAvD_BwE&gclid=CjwKCAjwloCSBhAeEiwA3hVo_cPRANgFfFaoDqfFBQrmSHqUCk9zlN5erma-6elkgvWSR2L1tnvMuRoCcBAQAvD_BwE&utm_source=adl-gbase-p

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/27/2022 at 4:44 PM, John Smith said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best solution for carrying an SL2 attached to a 90-280mm from place to place? I am looking for something that I can take from the house to the car mainly and then from the car to a location. I'm interested in the lightest and best fitting bag or backpack for this particular kit. In other words, I'm looking for something where I am loading up a bunch of other lenses too. 

Have a look at the Lowepro BP350 AWll  it's a compact, light weight, all weather backpack. It's the best backpack I've used.

I also have the larger BP450 AWII which can carry more. Depending on how much gear I take with me on a safari, I use either one of these backpacks.

I'm amazed at how much you can fit into this, there's also a padded sleeve in the cover for a laptop. You can also attach separate external pouches for a mobile phone, passports etc. 

BP350 👇

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by michali
  • Like 1

The Mindshift BackLight series is the best backpack I've come across. I have two, a large version (can't remember the capacity) for large format, and an 18L version for medium format/DSLR.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/backlight-18l

I think the 18L version may be large enough for your gear. For security it opens from the back, so nobody can unzip it standing behind you, and it also means if you put it down on wet ground the bit against your back stays dry. Plenty of other pockets of course and the style doesn't shout 'photography gear in here!' There's also a neat feature where you can rotate it around your waist and open the bag as if it's a slingbag.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 8:40 AM, michali said:

Have a look at the Lowepro BP350 AWll  it's a compact, light weight, all weather backpack. It's the best backpack I've used.

I also have the larger BP450 AWII which can carry more. Depending on how much gear I take with me on a safari, I use either one of these backpacks.

I'm amazed at how much you can fit into this, there's also a padded sleeve in the cover for a laptop. You can also attach separate external pouches for a mobile phone, passports etc. 

BP350 👇

I realise the OP has made his choice, but in case anyone else looks at the thread for advice.......

I think I have the same Lowepro BP350 AW - it looks the same. I strongly recommend it for the same usage as the OP wants: house to car to venue and back. Very well padded, very durable (mine shows few signs of wear after around 8 years. I wouldn't use it for hiking (it's not shaped for the back or the hips). I have carried it on a bike, and strapped lighting stands and tripods to the outside.

I also use a Fogg b-major shoulder bag, which holds the SL2-S plus the 24-90 and 90-280; it's a close fit, but very convenient when you're walking around with the camera and one lens in your hand, and with the other zoom in the bag over your shoulder, ready to swap lenses. For transportation from A to B though, it's a heavy unbalanced carry for anything other than short distances.

• Like 1

Gura Gear’s Kiboko series are light and well designed and made. The design is unique in that there are 2 separate compartments. It was original designed with safaris in mind so that you don’t expose all your gear to dust each time you open it. There are 3 sizes and I have a older model which is the same as the large 30L version before they had 3 sizes. It fits my old canon kit with 300/2.8, 70-200, 16-35 plus an M camera kit with about 5-8 lenses depending on what you’re carrying. It’d work equally well with a SL + M kit and so you can keep each kit in its own half section.

For anyone interested, I chose the PeakDesign bag because the lens fits in even their small Camera Cube. That lets me put the lens in virtually anything. PD's modular design with these cubes is pretty helpful.

• 1 year later...