Arte di Mano new half case for the M11

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Arte di Mano makes truly beautiful half cases and have brought three new models to market for the M11.  I have not had one of their half cases yet, but they are tempting and always seem to linger in my mind.  Maybe a half case instead of the grip for the M11...

Arte di Mano launches three versions of the new half-case for the Leica M11

https://www.macfilos.com/2022/03/23/arte-di-mano-launches-three-versions-of-the-new-half-case-for-the-leica-m11/

Their cases are superbly made, with an attention to detail that really sets them apart. The way the case sits on the camera is actually a better fit than the Leica branded half cases (which are IMO not very good and overpriced). I had two cases from Arte for my M10; the half case without battery door actually fits the M11 perfectly. I've ordered a new half case from Arte for the M11 with battery door (ordered February 2) and am waiting for production to complete. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, fcracer said:

Their cases are superbly made, with an attention to detail that really sets them apart. The way the case sits on the camera is actually a better fit than the Leica branded half cases (which are IMO not very good and overpriced). I had two cases from Arte for my M10; the half case without battery door actually fits the M11 perfectly. I've ordered a new half case from Arte for the M11 with battery door (ordered February 2) and am waiting for production to complete. 

@fcracer  I have Leica grips on my M10M, Q2 and M4-P.  Due to hand disabilities, I have to have them in order to get a secure grip on the camera; I also have Thumbies on the Q2 and M10M.

I have wondered if the Arte di Mano half cases with the midsize grip bump on the front ( https://leicastoremiami.com/collections/bags-and-cases-half-cases/products/arte-di-mano-half-case-for-leica-m11-with-battery-access-door-minerva-black-with-black-stitching?variant=39655772160131 ) could be a viable alternative to the Leica grip? 

For the M11, the #24025 grip runs $430; the half case is only $139 more and would provide some protection for the camera body.  The Leica grip does have the Arca-style dovetail which is nice but would be sacrificed if I choose the half case.

My thought is that with the Thumbie, the Arte half case with the midsize grip bump would give me a decent grip on the camera body, although maybe not quite as solid as using the Leica grip #24025.

What are your thoughts on the half case vs. the Leica grip?

Thanks! 😊

Edited by Herr Barnack

23 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

My thought is that with the Thumbie, the Arte half case with the midsize grip bump would give me a decent grip on the camera body, although maybe not quite as solid as using the Leica grip #24025.

Thanks! 😊

A few years ago I purchased a pre-owned Q, it came with a Thumbs up and a Lim's half case.   The grip on the Lim's looks like a clone from the Leica grip you're using.   I never really liked the aesthetics of the case but grip made the camera feel very secure in my hand.

After acquiring a m10r, I bought one of those nice looking half cases with the bump.  Felt like I could easily drop the camera if I didn't wrap the strap around my wrist.  Then I added the Thumbs up which helped but still not as comfortable or secure as the Q in the Lim's.

Just my opinion and not worth much but I believe the location of the bump is too close to the lens and too soft to provide enough grip.  Twenty years ago I wouldn't have considered it an issue.  My only advice is to try one before buying.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2022 at 5:43 AM, Herr Barnack said:

@fcracer  I have Leica grips on my M10M, Q2 and M4-P.  Due to hand disabilities, I have to have them in order to get a secure grip on the camera; I also have Thumbies on the Q2 and M10M.

I have wondered if the Arte di Mano half cases with the midsize grip bump on the front ( https://leicastoremiami.com/collections/bags-and-cases-half-cases/products/arte-di-mano-half-case-for-leica-m11-with-battery-access-door-minerva-black-with-black-stitching?variant=39655772160131 ) could be a viable alternative to the Leica grip? 

For the M11, the #24025 grip runs $430; the half case is only $139 more and would provide some protection for the camera body.  The Leica grip does have the Arca-style dovetail which is nice but would be sacrificed if I choose the half case.

Thanks! 😊

The basic grip that comes with the Arte cases makes the camera more secure to hold, but it’s not close to being as secure as the M11 Arca Grip accessory. Arte does offer larger grip options, but I haven’t tried them, so I’ll defer to others that have first hand experience. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

For every M since the M9, I had purchased cases at another outlet that made very nice custom cases, but I asked if they could make cases that accommodated the M11 USB-C port and give access to the battery. To my disappoint, they couldn't. I had an Arte di Mano half case for my Q2 Mono which I thought was decent, but apart from the access at the bottom, just didn't excite me. So I bit the bullet and purchased the Arte di Mano M11 case with the Aventino grip in rally leather (Volpe). I am blown away by how nice this case is. The grip feels quite secure in my hands. The leather is very high quality and the workmanship is top notch. Other manufacturers are a bit less precise with the stitching and even the fit. I paid over $900 for the case plus the strap, but it's been absolutely worth it. 

• Like 3