Leica M3 Vancouver

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found an old very, great conditioned Leica  M3 with light meter, great condition case and a number of lenses as I was cleaning out his apartment upon his passing this past weekend. Would anyone be interested in learning more? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello Sonja,

Welcome to the Forum.

That is a early version of an M3 in cosmetically nice condition. The lens on the camera covers the angle of view demarcated by the entirety of the frame with the rounded corners in the range/viewfinder seen thru the eye piece in the back of the camera.

You probably have to advance the film lever on top 2 times until it stops to "cock" the shutter. So that the picture can be taken. The lever may possibly also cock the shutter if you advance the lever once. If the camera has been modified. You can advance the lever incrementally in a series of little "clicks" until the lever stops. Or in 1 motion. Like life in general: "Gentle" is good.

The translucent plastic piece on the front of the meter (Used for "incident" light metering.) comes off (Gently please) and reveals a pebbled glass surface underneath which is used for measuring the light (Reflected light metering.). It does not take batteries. We can explain how to safely, without damage, remove the meter from the camera later.

It would be interesting to see the lens that is on the camera from the side & to know the FIRST 3 numbers of the lens's serial number.

The little metal thing on the back near the little white plastic thing is for taking certain types of flash pictures. What is under the white plastic thing is an outlet for taking a different type of flash picture.

The strap appears worn & may break if it is used. It would be interesting to see more pictures of it.

The case looks nice.

The dial on the back is a reminder of the type of film in the camera & that film's "speed" which You set to to remind yourself which film you are using this time. And what "speed" it is.

I don't know much about the other lens.

We can answer more questions as we go along or/& as you ask. If you don't have 1, there is an instruction book for this camera at the top of this page. Go to:

Leica Wiki

English version

"M" film cameras

Click the  "M3" - NOT the photo of the M3.

Scroll down & look for the instruction booklet

Ask more questions.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Sonja : keep in mind that this camera, and its 50mm lens, are items of significant value, for which there is a stable market : you can easily check some prices on e-bay, looking for "Leica M3" and "Summilux 50" ... and also the 28mm Canon lens isn't an item to neglect (probably, it has an adapter ring which permits to mount it on the Leica). What is the item (lens, apparently) shown in picture # 4 ? Maybe is a 90 or 135mm lens... the accessory viewfinder at top right in picture # 3 seems to me a Leitz item made for those focals (more probably 135 : the Leica M3 has the frames for 90mm inside its own native viewfinder)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

...It would be interesting to see the lens that is on the camera from the side & to know the FIRST 3 numbers of the lens's serial number...

Whilst we wait until Sonja can confirm the number for us I suspect that it might be 1 459 XXX in which case, IIRC, it is an example of the v1.

Philip.

• Thanks 1

Interestingly, the strap eyelets on the camera look completely unused. As does the paint on the rear door, even the ocular surround is close to pristine. I would not hesitate to call this camera cosmetically A+ to Mint- . It is well worth to have it professionally serviced. As Luigi says, the set represents a significant value. The Forum does not allow valuations, but you can look here for the camera: 

https://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Leitz/M3-chrome-Double-Stroke.html

I would suggest contacting 

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/auctioneer/427/leitz-photographica-auction/

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 1 Stunde schrieb luigi bertolotti:

more probably 135 : the Leica M3 has the frames for 90mm inside its own native viewfinder

Luigi, the Leica M3 also has frames for 135mm in its viewfinder (50 + 90 + 135), hence it was called M3 (at least according to some rumours).

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Michael Geschlecht:

We can answer more questions as we go along or/& as you ask.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Sonja Sullivan:

Would anyone be interested in learning more? 

Guys, I think Sonja wants to SELL these items, as she asked if anyone would be interested to learn more. It seems to me that she is not particularly interested in learning more about a Leica M3 herself ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wizard said:

...Guys, I think Sonja wants to SELL these items, as she asked if anyone would be interested to learn more. It seems to me that she is not particularly interested in learning more about a Leica M3 herself ...

I agree completely, Wizard, and at the same time (and as you will fully appreciate) I believe it will be very likely that she will benefit from learning through the advice which some of the members might be able to offer with regards the specific items which she has in her possession.

If it is, as seems likely, a v1 Summilux (by way of an example) what might seem like a little detail to a novice would have a considerable effect on the inherent value of the item when disclosed to a knowledgeable dealer / buyer. Even the 'batch' of the M3 itself might be of note in financial terms.

It's best for Sonja that she knows exactly what she has in her possession and, as such, some members here are better-placed than many in being able to offer her the benefit of their combined wisdom.

Philip.

vor 1 Minute schrieb pippy:

It's best for Sonja that she knows exactly what she has in her possession and, as such, some members here are better-placed than many in being able to offer her the benefit of their combined wisdom.

Philip, I agree with what you say. However, this forum is for Leica users and aficionados, and less so for people who's only interest is to get as much money as possible out of some Leica gear they aquired in the course of cleaning out a deceased person's home. Note that she did not say it was her father (or any relative) that passed away. Rather, it seems that she does this sort of work on a professional basis (nothing wrong with that, of course).

Just my 2 cents.

Best,

Andy

• Like 2

Wow thank you all that have provided so much information. And no Andy I do not do this professionally but I appreciate your comments. It was not my intent to take advantage this forum. 

I failed to mention it was my 85 year old father who passed. 

thank you for your time  

Edited by Sonja Sullivan

Anyway, Sonja, given that it belonged to your dad, you can be grateful to him that he kept with much care a camera set he was probably fond to... it can stay with your family as a fine remembrance (it will never lose its value... M3 is really, for many reasons, a milestone in the history of photography)  or, depending on personal choices, be sold with a thankful thought to the man who kept it in so good shape.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 2

Honestly I dont think so. I think this camera was gifted to him by my grandfather who was German (dad was Croatian). Anyhow I am attaching a picture of the serial number  in the lens. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Sonja Sullivan:

I failed to mention it was my 85 year old father who passed. 

Please accept my sincere apologies then, so sorry to hear about your father having passed away. My mother in law just passed away a week ago, so I do know how it feels to loose a very close person.

If the camera has not been used for a long time, it will most certainly require a CLA service (clean, lubricate and adjust), which should be done by a competent repairperson. You may, of course, sell the camera and associated gear without a CLA if you do not intend to use the camera yourself. If your intention is to sell all of those items, sell them separately piece by piece, as the total selling price will be much higher compared to selling all items as a lot.

• Thanks 1