Leica 120 TS, sample pictures?

alainD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm back into the S game with a S3 and a selection of lenses. My main intend is for portraiture and landscape photography.
At the long end, I got the 100 and the 120 macro. I'm debating getting the 120 TS or the 180.
I'm thinking 120TS would help for two things: stitching and "angled" focus plane. I've had some limited experience with TS lenses on Nikon, not with great success I have to admit...

So, I tried to search for landscape pictures taken with the 120 TS on this forum and could not find many.
Could any of you point me to some?

Thanks in advance.

Alain

I agree with @John McMaster the 180 would see more use. I have the Leica R 28 PC lens by Schneider and use it with the SL2-S and while it does not have tilt, the focal length is great for landscape. The 120 is 96mm and the tilt for landscape would be very small if focused near infinity. I think this lens has seen more use for product pictures close up. I’ve long wanted a 35mm tilt shift for the S system. 

Hi,

In recently purchased a used example of this lens from the Leica Store in Lisse, (Holland), as a demo model.

Attached was my first long distance test shot, outdoors.  Three images - centre shot first, then shifted both ways, processed in Lightroom, then uploaded into 'Affinity Photo' to make the images into a panorama.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

P.S. Leica's Store Lisse still has a 120mm PC/TS demo in stock on eBay - item number 304381628347 !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by f22photographie
  • Like 2

The lens 

i.e.  First image straight as normal, Second image shift the lens one direction, (up to 12mm shift), then unlock mechanism after taking image and then rotate the camera 90 degrees, (meaning the camera body is upside down), for the third image.  

I can't see how one could use the camera on the tripod for stitching, unless I've missed something ?

Mike.

2nd image attached.

Edited by f22photographie
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, f22photographie said:

The lens 

i.e.  First image straight as normal, Second image shift the lens one direction, (up to 12mm shift), then unlock mechanism after taking image and then rotate the camera 90 degrees, (meaning the camera body is upside down), for the third image.

Thank you for the explanation!

question: why rotate the camera instead of shifting the lens in the other direction?

Alain

Hi Alain,

In some ways this wonderful lens can be described as over-engineered.

However, unlike Leica's 28mm PC-Super-Angulon-R for 35mm, whereby the lens shifting ring can be moved either side of the zero setting, the lens shifting ring on the 120mm PC TS lens only moves in one direction from the zero setting, hence why you have to turn the body upside down after unlocking the mechanism to take the third image for panoramas.

7 hours ago, f22photographie said:

hence why you have to turn the body upside down after unlocking the mechanism to take the third image for panoramas.

Does the camera flip the Live View image or does it shown the world as being upside down..?! 😵

19 hours ago, f22photographie said:

The lens 

I can't see how one could use the camera on the tripod for stitching, unless I've missed something ?

Thanks, just use the same system with the lens shifted left/right - that is how lenses without a tripod mount (e.g. Mamiya 50mm shift) have to work.  Once you are up to 120mm on the S I am not sure what difference you would see between your shifted image and just panning the camera slightly...

john

Hi,

First of all a reply to Sarnian - I am using an earlier 'S' model, the S-E, (aka S006), which doesn't have 'live view', only an optical viewfinder.

However, on the SE, I can confirm that the image is still the right way up when viewed through the optical viewfinder when the camera is turned upside down, and ditto, when the image is being reviewed on the back screen. A quick snap taken this afternoon from the front garden duly attached as confirmation.

Reply to John - in theory to make a proper job of a panorama, one should have a dedicated panorama head, find nodal points etc v. a shift in parallel if not using this method. You are probably correct on a 120mm focal length one might not notice much difference panning the camera slightly.

At the price I paid I thought it was well worth a punt and once you get the hang of it it is quite quick in operation, and to quote the Ronseal advert, 'it does what is says on the tin' !

Regards,

Mike.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, f22photographie said:

At the price I paid I thought it was well worth a punt and once you get the hang of it it is quite quick in operation, and to quote the Ronseal advert, 'it does what is says on the tin' !

...and you'll never have any AF motor failure issues! 😄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, f22photographie said:

Hi,

First of all a reply to Sarnian - I am using an earlier 'S' model, the S-E, (aka S006), which doesn't have 'live view', only an optical viewfinder.

However, on the SE, I can confirm that the image is still the right way up when viewed through the optical viewfinder when the camera is turned upside down, and ditto, when the image is being reviewed on the back screen. A quick snap taken this afternoon from the front garden duly attached as confirmation.

Ah yes, but the information (ISO, etc) is upside down so it's not that clever! ☺️

4 hours ago, f22photographie said:

I am using an earlier 'S' model, the S-E, (aka S006)

A-ha. I’ve finally found another S-E user! Is it that there weren’t many made or do people genuinely prefer the all-black 006? 

After getting my 007 I’ve put my sensor-replaced S-E up for sale but nobody seems interested in it. Strange times.