Jump to content

M11 Black Paint: Can someone share experience?


Janjan

Recommended Posts

Remember when the MP was introduced in 2003 and the internet went into a frenzy because it was covered in 'lackieren' which was taken to be Japanese decorative lacquer instead of a German word for paint. But we should be used to the modern finishes Leica use by now, the M9 was I think the first black paint model using a powder coating technique, not enamel or acrylic sprayed on wet, and definitely not a shellac made from the excretions of bees.

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, wizard said:

Quite correct, see my post above.

Thanks, but I think I’ll skip it. I didn’t purchase the M11 because I was hoping for a black paint version, but this is not what I wanted. Based on the photos, it’s similar to the black chrome.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Remember when the MP was introduced in 2003 and the internet went into a frenzy because it was covered in 'lackieren' which was taken to be Japanese decorative lacquer instead of a German word for paint. But we should be used to the modern finishes Leica use by now, the M9 was I think the first black paint model using a powder coating technique, not enamel or acrylic sprayed on wet, and definitely not a shellac made from the excretions of bees.

"Lackieren" is just the German infinitive version of a verb "to varnish".

The official Leica naming for the lacquer cameras reminiscent of Steinway pianos (finish is applied in Austria and not much to do with Japanese urushi) found on MP and subsequent cameras was "black paint".
The official Leica naming of the powdered M11 matte finish is "black".

People who do not know the official terminology (not to blame!) are constantly using the term "black paint" for regular black enamel, black chrome or other finishes that have nothing to do with black lacquer paint, triggering the connoisseurs.

 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 12/23/2022 at 12:00 PM, Kiwimac said:

Is there any notable difference in toughness between the brass top plate and the aluminium version?

They say brass can trap ghosts.
The latest Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire movie tried to prove that claim scientifically.

Edited by Al Brown
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, hirohhhh said:

Thanks, but I think I’ll skip it. I didn’t purchase the M11 because I was hoping for a black paint version, but this is not what I wanted. Based on the photos, it’s similar to the black chrome.

Just imagine your wish coming true if they follow the success of 2021 end-of-life M10-R Black Paint and just prior to announcing M12 they come up with M11 Black Paint...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Just imagine your wish coming true if they follow the success of 2021 end-of-life M10-R Black Paint and just prior to announcing M12 they come up with M11 Black Paint...

I wish, but I don't see them announcing two versions of black paint for the same model.

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, hirohhhh said:

I wish, but I don't see them announcing two versions of black paint for the same model.

There was no M11 in Black lacquer paint… keep your hopes high, always.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

"Lackieren" is just the German infinitive version of a verb "to varnish".

The official Leica naming for the lacquer cameras reminiscent of Steinway pianos (finish is applied in Austria and not much to do with Japanese urushi) found on MP and subsequent cameras was "black paint".
The official Leica naming of the powdered M11 matte finish is "black".

People who do not know the official terminology (not to blame!) are constantly using the term "black paint" for regular black enamel, black chrome or other finishes that have nothing to do with black lacquer paint, triggering the connoisseurs.

 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You are quoting what’s on the box, not the Press releases Leica put out at the time saying the MP was finished in ‘black lacquer’ which was at the time a confusing translation for some. Known to an older generation Fender guitars were painted in ‘lacquer’ which was a  nitrocellulose finished using standard Ford colours straight out of the auto shop. So back then the understanding of what a lacquer finish was wasn’t controversial, it’s what you painted your car with. Until Leica reintroduced the term ‘lacquer’ based on a loose translation rather than a straight forward description for paint in English.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Am 24.5.2024 um 18:45 schrieb hirohhhh:

Thanks, but I think I’ll skip it.

My post was meant to explain that as yet a real black paint M11 does not exist. The M11 comes in silver chrome and matte black, and while the latter is indeed a paint, it does not correspond to the 'black paint' finish known from the M10R, MP etc., but is meant to imitate the black chrome finish. You never know, maybe Leica will eventually release a true black paint M11, just as they did with the M10R.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...