M11 Black Paint: Can someone share experience?

Janjan

4 hours ago, Stevejack said:

Interesting you've got so much wear from those straps, I use the Peak Designs quick release which is pretty hard edged but there's no wear to the paint from it yet. 

Wiping it with a cleaning cloth makes the signs go away.. they are not permanent..

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2022 at 5:55 PM, archiea said:

digital cameras will experience digital rot long before any physical rot kicks in...  heck getting a good patina on a digital leica takes, like, the third owner of the camera! 

indeed a great patina has much value in a collectible

Leica builds cameras for use

most of the complaints I've seen here of the silver model would seem to resolve with dilute soap & a soft cloth, even more so with the black model

looking forward to getting one after the holidays, but given my advanced age, the black appeals to me more

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On a trip to Hawaii, carrying camera in a separate part of Nomatic backpack.

It seems the back which closes the bag was rubbing against the top of the camera. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mirekti

55 minutes ago, mirekti said:

It seems the back which closes the bag was rubbing against the top of the camera. 

is that metal showing or just the abraded material from your bag?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, hmzimelka said:

is that metal showing or just the abraded material from your bag?

Definitely scratched. Not as bad as in the photo, though. Now when I know where it is I notice it easy. It also depends from which angle it is looked at.
I'll blame it on the backpack which has pockets with mash material from the inside. I should have put something on the top.   

20 minutes ago, mirekti said:

Definitely scratched. Not as bad as in the photo, though. Now when I know where it is I notice it easy. It also depends from which angle it is looked at.
I'll blame it on the backpack which has pockets with mash material from the inside. I should have put something on the top.   

Wow. OK. 

On a related matter:

Is there any notable difference in toughness between the brass top plate and the aluminium version?

I had an original Q and it fell - whilst in a padded bag - off a sofa and onto the carpeted floor of a hotel. The alumium dented and began rubbing on the small control wheel on the rear right. It required a trip back to Germany and a new top plate.

I am sure an M is generally tougher than that but wondered whether there is a difference between brass and aluminium. I can find general information but not what type of alumium series Leica is using so I cannot work it out.

Re brassing - they should try anodising the alumium gold before the black coating gets applied!

1 hour ago, Kiwimac said:

On a related matter:

Is there any notable difference in toughness between the brass top plate and the aluminium version?

I had an original Q and it fell - whilst in a padded bag - off a sofa and onto the carpeted floor of a hotel. The alumium dented and began rubbing on the small control wheel on the rear right. It required a trip back to Germany and a new top plate.

I am sure an M is generally tougher than that but wondered whether there is a difference between brass and aluminium. I can find general information but not what type of alumium series Leica is using so I cannot work it out.

Re brassing - they should try anodising the alumium gold before the black coating gets applied!

No amount of strength can replicate the natural brassing imho

On 12/17/2022 at 7:30 PM, mirekti said:

Looks like your camera is ruined. You can send it to me and I'll deal. ;)

6 hours ago, Kiwimac said:

No it can’t. However I’m curious as to whether the material itself offers benefits other than weight saving or downsides other than no brassing. 

Im sure i didnt like when my SL or Q’es having paint chipped, however the m11 has got new way of coatings whose durability isnt like before? Not easily brassed or chipped

I'm aware that many appreciate the brassed M bodies. However, I prefer durability, and my cameras in general still look, though frequently used, quite good, some even mint, after years. So far I haven't had a M, but 3 Leicas from the X series, still holding an XV. Touching up dents or smaller scratches with black matte Revell paint matched perfectly, no noticeable difference from the original colour. I am wondering, if that would work also with a black M11 or M10-R, as my impression is that those bodies aren't of the same deep black matte finish?

Now, after having sold almost all the rest of my Canon gear, I'm asking myself, which direction to go for with Leica (Qx or M). Personally, I'd feel somehow ripped off paying such an amount of money for a M and then experiencing wear and tear just from carrying, holding and operating it, and I am not talking about an accidental damage. Chrome finish, either black or silver, or any paint, technically can made to last forever... question is just what Leica's decisions were (deliberately chosing a softer coating?). 

8 hours ago, Phil75 said:

Now, after having sold almost all the rest of my Canon gear, I'm asking myself, which direction to go for with Leica (Qx or M). Personally, I'd feel somehow ripped off paying such an amount of money for a M and then experiencing wear and tear just from carrying, holding and operating it, and I am not talking about an accidental damage. Chrome finish, either black or silver, or any paint, technically can made to last forever... question is just what Leica's decisions were (deliberately chosing a softer coating?). 

Why do you think it’s a softer coat? I’ve been using the camera mostly every day for the last year, and there is nothing to see as a scratch or dent.

PS the new paint has been developed for the reporter, camera for toughness, and to find a new way more environmentally friendly.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Phil75:

I'm aware that many appreciate the brassed M bodies. However, I prefer durability, and my cameras in general still look, though frequently used, quite good, some even mint, after years. So far I haven't had a M, but 3 Leicas from the X series, still holding an XV. Touching up dents or smaller scratches with black matte Revell paint matched perfectly, no noticeable difference from the original colour. I am wondering, if that would work also with a black M11 or M10-R, as my impression is that those bodies aren't of the same deep black matte finish?

But who ever said the finish of the M11 is softer and less durable than the other M bodies before? I had an M10P before, which had a less durable coating and I could not recognize much wear after 2 years! I do believe the M11 finish will be even more robust than anything before. After half a year of using it, no sign of use! 

Even though a Leica M is quite expensive, it does not mean it will be invulnerable! Some of us prefer to let it show how it got used, some don't. If you take care of it, I do believe it will be looking like new for quite some time ;) 

I would not recommend to get one if a small scratch would cause a mental breakdown!

• 1 year later...
Am 26.7.2022 um 18:52 schrieb jonoslack:

My German documents for my M11 all said 'Black Paint'

Really? What were the German words they used? Schwarzlack? It is somewhat confusing indeed, as traditionally Leica 'Black Paint' models had that shiny black laquer finish, whereas while the M11 certainly shines, it has a matte black finish 🙂. I wonder how they will call a successor to the M10R black paint, if it eventually comes to market.

• Like 1