M11 Black Paint: Can someone share experience?

Janjan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just a technical note: there is no M11 in "black paint" at the moment (officially meaning black lacquer). The durability discussions &  scratching issues on this forum were mostly about the glossy black paint lacquer (last Leica in black paint was the M10-R BP).
This thread seems to be about the matte finish durability of M11 in black full-metal housing made of magnesium and aluminium (Leica production number 20 200 in EU/US/CN).

Edited by Al Brown

Actually it is black paint finish. Check this out:
https://leica-camera.com/en-int/photography/cameras/m/m11-black/details

The Leica M-Family is known for its premium look and feel. With a carefully optimized design and the use of high-quality aluminium for the top cover, the black Leica M11 is focused on efficiency and ergonomics, with noticeably less weight. Together with the new scratch-resistant matte paint finish, the black M11 is about 20% lighter than the silver-chrome version, which features a classic solid brass top cover.

Even a book has been written on the topic of Black Paint Leica. This gentleman really knows his stuff.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown

I can see. This book was written in 2018... Can we go back to the topic which is sharing issues with the black M11 finish? I think technical details like the difference between paint and lacquer are a little bit irrelevant. I trust official Leica sources which say it is matt black paint. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Janjan said:

I can see. This book was written in 2018... Can we go back to the topic which is sharing issues with the black M11 finish? I think technical details like the difference between paint and lacquer are a little bit irrelevant. I trust official Leica sources which say it is matt black paint. 

Lacquer is paint. 

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2022 at 3:45 PM, Janjan said:

Hello, I read a lot of reviews, someone mentioned how black paint is durable someone how quickly gets scratched. So, these reports are a little bit confusing especially if I would order black because it looks awesome, stealthy, and save some weight. Win-win in my eyes. But I want this camera for a long time as same as I have MP :) I know, it is not comparable (almost mechanical camera versus electronic device), but still, I have to sell my kidney (almost) for M11, so I want to hold it as long as possible. 

Thank you to all of you who spend some time to sharing your thoughts and experiences. ✌️

I have the Black M11 and haven't had any problems with the paint finish and I don't think it's an issue. 

If you have an MP and are used to it's weight you might prefer the Black M11 over the Silver simply because of the weight.

The Black M11 is slightly lighter than an MP,  the weight feels very similar in hand.

A friend has the Silver M11 I've spent a lot of time with it, it feels similar in weight to an M10, and every time I switch to the Black M11 the weight difference is very apparent. The Silver M11 finish is smooth, so using a thumbs up grip on the Silver M11 helps a lot with the handling, but also adds more weight. I wish Leica would've made the Silver version lighter as well, because I prefer the look

If no M11's are available for you to see in person,  you should go try to find an M10 and bring your MP along, that will give you a good idea of the weight difference between black and silver M11.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, dsm21 said:

I have the Black M11 and haven't had any problems with the paint finish and I don't think it's an issue. 

If you have an MP and are used to it's weight you might prefer the Black M11 over the Silver simply because of the weight.

The Black M11 is slightly lighter than an MP,  the weight feels very similar in hand.

A friend has the Silver M11 I've spent a lot of time with it, it feels similar in weight to an M10, and every time I switch to the Black M11 the weight difference is very apparent. The Silver M11 finish is smooth, so using a thumbs up grip on the Silver M11 helps a lot with the handling, but also adds more weight. I wish Leica would've made the Silver version lighter as well, because I prefer the look

If no M11's are available for you to see in person,  you should go try to find an M10 and bring your MP along, that will give you a good idea of the weight difference between black and silver M11.

I originally got the silver, then switched to black when I had to have it replaced since black was the next incoming unit. But what I found interesting was without the bottom brass plate, the M11 silver felt a little top heavy. The M10 variants were already a little like that, but for some reason it seems very pronounced now. I really like the balance of the black one and am glad I ended up with one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

No issues with my black M11 so far.

I also own a black Q2 which has a different kind of black paint on it. I took it everywhere in the past 3 years, and no scratches on it either. 

I guess it depends on how are you going to use it.

black for me...just received my own M11 in black today. I have used a beta M11 for some month and like the lower weight and the grip. I also find it  drawing slightly less attention. I do admit that the black chrome felt a little "smoother" and more "classy". However-for me- better grip wins. Frienkly I would choose just the one which one thinks looks and feels nicer. Both are beautiful pieces of quality material and manufacturing IMO.

Edited by tom0511
  • Like 1

Silver M11 here. Part of my reason to not get the black was concern about scuffing. Irony: I tried (once!) a 1.x screw-in rangefinder magnifier. Now that round, black piece of metal is scratched up significantly, apparently the paint will come off quite easily. Not sure if the attached parts, such as that aluminum (?) ring are coated in the same process as the black M11's main body ...

• 1 month later...
vor 2 Stunden schrieb satijntje:

There is no black paint M11!
The last black paint M camera that Leica produced was the M10-R Black Paint,
and it is beautiful, especially when paired with the 50mm Summilux black paint lens!

I suppose Antonio refers to his M4 Black Paint which of course exists...

On 6/3/2022 at 8:48 AM, mzbe said:

Silver M11 here. Part of my reason to not get the black was concern about scuffing. Irony: I tried (once!) a 1.x screw-in rangefinder magnifier. Now that round, black piece of metal is scratched up significantly, apparently the paint will come off quite easily. Not sure if the attached parts, such as that aluminum (?) ring are coated in the same process as the black M11's main body ...

do you mean the viewfinder screw? wow, never check mine, been using magnifier since the M240, some M10's and now the M11 silver, got it or the same reason like yours hahahha hope it hold up well with the scuffs

1 hour ago, jakontil said:

do you mean the viewfinder screw? wow, never check mine, been using magnifier since the M240, some M10's and now the M11 silver, got it or the same reason like yours hahahha hope it hold up well with the scuffs

There is leica viewfinder magnifier for M10-11? doesn't it have different size from the M240?

3 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

There is leica viewfinder magnifier for M10-11? doesn't it have different size from the M240?

oh i forgot to mention, i used an adapter for the viewfinder to be able to use, and i have one golden contrast lens viewfinder made by walter for my m10r

2 hours ago, jakontil said:

yes - screwing in the magnifier easily scratches the screw-in thread on the circular viewfinder socket