Third party viewfinder options

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, jankap said:

Sorry, in post 187 of this images series I have posted a picture taken with the 28mm. Interesting is the flare at the left side.

Canon LTM lenses are very good, I use many and the 3.5/28mm is nice while at same period (I may be wrong), Leitz offered 5.6/2.8cm (very good lens but much slower)

with Neopan I like the lens rendering, nothing can do like this combo

nothing special if lovely (for me)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

high/low light just "good" with a bit "glow" in high

Edited by a.noctilux

The Nikkor 2.8cm viewfinder I ended up with, on the Leica Standard with the W-Nikkor C 2.8cm f/3.5. The finder is very heavy, with parallax adjustment but no brightline - using it in glasses is tricky, but in contacts is fine.

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to update this thread with another alternative option for an inexpensive viewfinder - The Yashica Tele-Wide finder.

Originally made for their Electro 35 rangefinder cameras - as part of an auxiliary lens set, but often found by itself.

I got mine recently for €10 from a known online source (kamerastore.com). 

It has two bright-line frames, for 58mm and 38mm. Perfectly workable for 50 and 35mm (or 40mm). The size is close to the SBOOI.

I have seen the finder including the auxiliary lenses sold for €50-60 which by itself isn't unreasonable for the finder alone.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nitroplait said:

Just wanted to update this thread with another alternative option for an inexpensive viewfinder - The Yashica Tele-Wide finder.

Originally made for their Electro 35 rangefinder cameras - as part of an auxiliary lens set, but often found by itself.

I got mine recently for €10 from a known online source (kamerastore.com). 

It has two bright-line frames, for 58mm and 38mm. Perfectly workable for 50 and 35mm (or 40mm). The size is close to the SBOOI.

I have seen the finder including the auxiliary lenses sold for €50-60 which by itself isn't unreasonable for the finder alone.

How is it in use? Clarity/sharpness? Flare-free lines? Distortion? Any issues?

45 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

How is it in use? Clarity/sharpness? Flare-free lines? Distortion? Any issues?

I have probably only used it once on a sunny day, and don't recall any whiteout and the like. Just now I tried to shine a strong flashlight from the front and only notice 2 (maybe 3) small circular reflections - but no problem seeing the frames or through the finder - it is obviously coated as you can see on the photo.

The view is slightly blueish and contrasty - not yellowish as one would imagine from the look of the device. From the number of reflections mentioned above, I guess that it is 3 element optics.

No distortion that I can see.

The frame-lines are not the brightest I have seen and their visibility varies depending on direction of the light - it varies from dim (but visible) to visible (but not super bright like a modern Voigtlander finder).

The 58mm is easily visible with glasses, but the 38mm requires a slight movement of the eye. Plenty of space around even the wide frames when used without glasses.

The wide framelines have parallax markings, the 58mm does not.

The round top part is metal, the shoe is plastic.

Over all, I like it. It is fairly compact and perfect for travelling with my Barnacks where I would typically bring my Elmar 50mm and Summaron 35mm.

If I see it again for only €10, I will grab it, just to have a spare.

Edited by nitroplait
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nitroplait said:

Just wanted to update this thread with another alternative option for an inexpensive viewfinder - The Yashica Tele-Wide finder. Originally made for their Electro 35 rangefinder cameras - as part of an auxiliary lens set, but often found by itself...

I acquired one as part of the 'complete set'. One idea was to take the finder along with me when I was intending to use my Voigtlander 40mm Nokton. Worked well!

Here she is snapped in her natural habitat;

Philip.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, brad_k said:

I have a Voigtlander metal brightline viewfinder, but I've found that it leaves scratch marks on my glasses. I'm thinking of picking up a Leica SLOOZ, does anyone here have experience with that viewfinder and glasses?

Try cutting a doughnut from something like moleskin and sticking it on the back...

Not sure if it would be suitable, but I find this one really good (small and bright line):

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 105012 said:

Not sure if it would be suitable, but I find this one really good (small and bright line):

I've seen plenty with that style, but not bought one because of their looks (shallow, I know) - they don't match Barnacks.

I recently purchased a couple of TT Artisan lenses on Amazon (35mm f2 APO and 28mm f5,6) to try them out. TT Artisan also do a 21mm and 28mm viewfinder which are priced at £42.

They are very well made and good value for money

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BN3XFR2F?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Edited by beoon
spelling error
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, beoon said:

I recently purchased a couple of TT Artisan lenses on Amazon (35mm f2 APO and 28mm f5,6) to try them out. TT Artisan also do a 21mm and 28mm viewfinder which are priced at £42.

They are well made good value for money

Are those bright line finders? I prefer them to those without.

On 10/14/2022 at 12:06 AM, nitroplait said:

I have probably only used it once on a sunny day, and don't recall any whiteout and the like. Just now I tried to shine a strong flashlight from the front and only notice 2 (maybe 3) small circular reflections - but no problem seeing the frames or through the finder - it is obviously coated as you can see on the photo.

The view is slightly blueish and contrasty - not yellowish as one would imagine from the look of the device. From the number of reflections mentioned above, I guess that it is 3 element optics.

No distortion that I can see.

The frame-lines are not the brightest I have seen and their visibility varies depending on direction of the light - it varies from dim (but visible) to visible (but not super bright like a modern Voigtlander finder).

The 58mm is easily visible with glasses, but the 38mm requires a slight movement of the eye. Plenty of space around even the wide frames when used without glasses.

The wide framelines have parallax markings, the 58mm does not.

The round top part is metal, the shoe is plastic.

Over all, I like it. It is fairly compact and perfect for travelling with my Barnacks where I would typically bring my Elmar 50mm and Summaron 35mm.

If I see it again for only €10, I will grab it, just to have a spare.

I own both viewfinders with or without Yeshica engraving on them. 

Both of them are pretty the same but the bright line of the latest version(without Yashica stamp) is so much brighter, due to the condition of the coating shallow. 

Both of them are agile and with slight distortion on the WIDE(36 mm or 38 mm) frame line but the Tele(58 mm) is relatively fine. 

Out of the wide frame line, there'll be visible spare space indeed. My guess is that it might fit the 28mm, but I never had the chance to perform further tests up until now.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a brand new / cost-effective viewfinder, the TT Artisan 28mm will be the winer, it seems.

Other viewfinder variants like Canon(RF) and Nikon(SP) are pretty awesome with chrome(copper base?) if you're not a fan of the black paint Barnack camera.

My Oskar Barnack Type Rangefinder Camera.

Summilux-M 35mm Pre-A(V2, Titanium), M10M

Edited by Erato
Reference photo added.
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 6:27 PM, beoon said:

They are very well made and good value for money

They are indeed well made and good value but difficult to see through if you wear glasses.

Nor do they have any bright lines making accurate composition difficult.

I find the Ricoh GV-1 21/28mm finder the most useful of them all.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have an (original) M6TTL 0.72 and thinking of buying a 28mm (and possibly a new MP). I wear spectacles 😞 so I find the 28mm frame lines are just out of reach without 'peering round the corners' of the viewfinder. I completely accept that I will learn what the 28mm covers from experience but I like the look of the TTArtisan finder for ease of use and as a learning tool. Anybody tried it?