Third party viewfinder options

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm looking for a 28mm viewfinder to go with a Nikkor 2.8cm LTM that is on its way. All Leitz viewfinders seem to go for outrageous prices (more than some lenses and bodies), and the SLOOZ is no exception. One day a nice one at a low price will turn up. Until then, what other options are worth considering? I have seen a Zeiss 25/28mm, and Voigtlander, Ricoh, Avenon...... Ebay is full of cheap plastic ones (some in bright colours) for around £20. I have seen a couple of Russians. Which ones are bright line finders and give a clear and accurate view - I guess I'm less worried by a bit of distortion. I don't want a turret finder.

Edited by LocalHero1953

A couple of years ago I made a couple from trashed disposable cameras. They did the job, but of course weren't as good as mainstream ones. If I was you, I'd just set up an Ebay search and check it daily, once in the am and once in the pm, until you find one which meets your needs and budget.

• Like 1

I have Leica, Canon and Zeiss 28mm finders. I quite like the Canon, which I am just about to use.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

I have Leica, Canon and Zeiss 28mm finders. I quite like the Canon, which I am just about to use.

I see, that you use the Canon 28mm. I also have one. The flare of it is, what I don't like. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To my surprise I have just found a Nikon 2.8cm viewfinder on ebay at a price I can live with. Too good to pass up - it means I can match a Nikkor lens on a Leica camera with a Nikon finder, rather than be too diverse.

Thanks to everyone for your advice - as always in this forum, I have learned a lot.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Recently picked up this contemporary 28mm Nikon viewfinder (DF-CP1) made specifically for the Nikon Coolpix A - all metal &  bright line

one of the nicest viewfinders on the recent market (they may be out of production now) - actually for my Nikon LTM 28mm lens

I purchased it from Leica Classifieds - the person selling it (as new) had a few of them (shop stock) - he may still have some left
https://www.facebook.com/groups/leicaclassifieds

Edited by romualdo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

Recently picked up this contemporary 28mm Nikon viewfinder (DF-CP1) made specifically for the Nikon Coolpix A - all metal &  bright line

one of the nicest viewfinders on the recent market (they may be out of production now) - actually for my Nikon LTM 28mm lens

It is very nice. I have drooled over it, but the list price is (was?) an eye-watering US$449!

The Olympus VF-1 is a price-wise reasonable 35mm finder alternative (bright lines are for 4/3 aspect ratio but close enough) but it sits too close to the top plate of a Barnack Leica so the shutter speed dial cannot be lifted/turned with the finder mounted. 

Ricoh  makes compact finders for their GR compacts; GR-V2 (28mm) and GR-V3 (40mm) - they are plastic housed but allegedly with good optics - I haven't tried. Expensive new, but more reasonable used. I don't know if the shutter-dial problem is present on these.

Used modern Cosina/Voigtlander finders routinely sell above the original list price.

With CV having recently announced a new 40mm LTM lens, I hope it is an indication that they have looked at the marked, and realised that it is not only people with mirrorless cameras that use their lenses - and hopefully observed that there is still a need for modern finders.

Edited by nitroplait
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, nitroplait said:

It is very nice. I have drooled over it, but the list price is (was?) an eye-watering US$449

Wow!!! didn't know it sold for that much

IIRC I bought mine (new) for 120 euros - that included shipping of 20 euros, so it actually cost me 100 euros ie round $110 US$ (a bit cheaper than $449)

if you contact Tomasz Witczak (tomasz.witczak@gmail.com) or search him on Messenger, he may still have more left for sale (he was selling on the facebook "Leica Classifieds" site)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/leicaclassifieds

Edited by romualdo
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 11:25 AM, 250swb said:

I use the plastic Voigtlander 28mm finder, and a few years ago you could pick one up for around £60, but now they seem to have doubled in price. Generally I prefer the Voigtlander finders to my Leica viewfinders, they seem a bit brighter.

This one for 28 is styled as its 15mm brother which I use regularly... it is very good in any sense : light but robust, mechanically stable, bright, good flare protection.

Dunno if it's currently listed as new, but have seen some for sale (not cheap, indeed)

• Like 2

After using for years the very nice 12014 for my wide lenses side.

very advanced comparing to VIOOH plus TUVOO

now my go to is Voigtlander Zoom finder 15-35 DA446A stranger in Wiki here, or Cameraquest (link from Wiki)

Ultimate aux VF 🥰

Very good, bright, universal (well ...15-35mm), a bit big incorporating diopter adjust, screw fixing not to fall, etc.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 8:44 AM, jankap said:

I see, that you use the Canon 28mm. I also have one. The flare of it is, what I don't like. 

Copies of two prints off the Canon 28mm f2.8 taken earlier this week. Leica 11 body.

• Like 1