Sigma 1.4x vs 2.0x, for SL2

stump4545

9 hours ago, stump4545 said:

Any thoughts on picking the 1.4x or 2.0x Sigma converter for 150-600mm lens and SL2?

the 2.0x would give me more reach, but will image quality suffer a whole lot more?

seems that 1.4x are more commonly used.

I have the 1.4x Sigma converter & use it on the 150-600mm from time to time, there's no real loss of IQ. I experimented briefly with a loaner 2X Sigma converter & opted out, there is a discernible loss of IQ. 

I agree - although I have only tested the 1.4x. Performance is very good. Why do you need 1200mm in the first place? 

I believe also that reviewers have claimed that optical performance suffers somewhat with the 2x extender.

• 2 months later...
On 3/19/2022 at 9:54 PM, stump4545 said:

Any thoughts on picking the 1.4x or 2.0x Sigma converter for 150-600mm lens and SL2?

the 2.0x would give me more reach, but will image quality suffer a whole lot more?

seems that 1.4x are more commonly used.

When do you need 1200 mm?  Stability can be obtained by a hefty tripod but there is no way to avoid deterioration by the atmosphere. I can only imagine use as a celestial telescope. Don’t forget that you lose two stops on lens speed so you would have to crank up the ISO as well. 

• Like 1