Q2 Monochrom + GPS not working with FOTOS app (newbie question).

Alwyn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New Leica user here and have been using my Q2 Monochrom for about a week now. I love the camera but what's the deal with the GPS not working with the FOTOS app? I've read through the various posts here and it seems that even when using the latest firmware and the latest FOTOS app (3.0.4) it's still not working. I've spent a couple of hours this morning trying to figure out how to reliably get some sort of indication when I can expect the GPS data to be written to my DNG files (i.e. the GPS icon to light up in the camera) - I don't shoot jpeg so I don't know if that matters. I'm trying to use the app on my iPhone 12 Pro Max and it's so completely unreliable trying to get a bluetooth/GPS connection that remains stable. I also use a Nikon D850 and Snapbridge - I launch Snapbridge, switch the camera on and I can shoot all day long and the GPS data is written to every single RAW file. Given that the Q2 Monochrom is 3 times the price of the D850, I would have expected Leica to have this functionality working. Apart from this somewhat disturbing gripe, I'm really loving the Q2M especially for street photography where the D850 is pretty much redundant as far as trying to be discreet goes! 🤣 Has anyone got any pointers as to how to make this work better than it works using the simple approach of launching the app and turning the camera on and expecting it to work just like that? Thanks in advance.

I can only speak about the q2 

you need to activate it in the app once. 
i get a little satellite as symbol on my screen and the Bluetooth symbol. 
then the data are transferred to every picture. 

Thank you for your reply Pelu2010. Just an update... I was out on Sunday and had the app loaded in my phone and the bluetooth and could see the satellite symbols on my screen and in the EVF. I noticed however that the satellite symbol was not lit up when I was taking pictures unless - and this I found was key - unless I tapped on the shutter button and then waited and then it would come on. Sometimes it would come on within maybe 10 seconds, other times it took longer - maybe as long as 30 -45 seconds but once that came on, the GPS information was recorded every time.  On this occasion it wasn't such a big deal as I was photographing statues and buildings, but if it were in a faster moving environment then I would miss the shot completely (it was still frustrating to have to wait not knowing if or when the satellite symbol would light up). Of course I could workaround this by taking another shot in the same location and then copying the location data into the other shots but really, the lag in having the satellite/GPS info engage is something that needs to be looked it by Leica. The other thing is that it's sometimes not easy to see if the symbols are on when you are shooting into a scene with backlighting or high contrast.

2 hours ago, SGA said:

For me it is not reliable either (Q2). I have the icons on the screen, but it seems random if the icons are lit or not. 

A setting on the iPhone?

I really don't know as I have Bluetooth switched on in the iPhone and in the camera. I was out on Thursday and thought the icons were lit and I had the app loaded in my phone but when I got home and looked at my shots, not one had the GPS information - and then I noticed that the icons weren't lit at all, it just looked like they were - I would rather not have them on the screen or in the EVF if they aren't active as that would be more useful than the way things are now. It was easy to add the information in Lightroom later using the map but if I was in a different city (as I will be this weekend) where I don't know my way around as much then it's going to be a lot more difficult to add the information afterwards. I was out today with my D850 and I loaded the Snapbridge app and shot 166 shots and every one has the GPS information (I don't have to look for icons, it just works and I didn't even have to think about it) so why is this such a problem for the FOTOS app to do the same? It's the ONLY thing that I've found negative about the Leica experience so far, I absolutely *love* using the camera and the results I'm getting but this missing functionality is frustrating. Does anyone from Leica monitor these forums by any chance?

• 4 weeks later...

On my previous Q2 and now on my new Q2 Mono the symbols for bluetooth and GPS appear on the Q2 screen but that doesn't guarantee a signal from your phone I think it just means its ready for it. You can only tell whether its worked by looking back at previous images and seeing if the GPS symbol is on the previously taken image.

Anyway its always been a bit like this .  Also the phone goes into standby mode and can stop the GPS signal from coming to the phone and requires you to open the fotos app on the iPhone again to re-activate it I have found.

It does work but it's never been reliable in my opinion.  

I think it reflects that not that many people have complained enough about it not working reliably.

Not much joy really in getting this working reliably over some 3 years now.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was in Zurich a few weeks ago for a street photography workshop with the Leica Academy and it was important to me to have the GPS data recorded for each shot and of course, it was hit and miss as usual - often within just a few yards of each shot. I raised the issue with the Leica guys and they said that I should send an email via the app to Leica support. I don't know how much good that will do... I noticed the same thing as you mentioned, the only way to check id it's been recorded is to look at the image to see if the GPS symbol is shown with the image that's been shot. I'm trying to get away from chimping when I'm taking photos and this doesn't help one iota. My workaround for the moment is to take a photo on my phone (when I remember) at the location where I'm shooting and then add the location info into the photos in Lightroom when I get back to my computer. Not ideal by any means whatsoever but even if I forget, it's still more reliable than the fotos app.

• 4 weeks later...

There must be issues with the bluetooth connection. I have first to open the Fotos app and connect the camera. Even though that connection is WIFI the bluethooth connection still starts. But I never see the satelite icon in the EWF. Anyway when disconnecting the app (which is needed if I want to take a photograph) then the bluetooth connection is still active. This is the good side but I see no satelite icon. Further I experienced that when GPS is added (I do not know why) then for a series of photographs taken the GPS tag is exactly the same even though I walked up an down at least 100m. 

Am 24.4.2022 um 02:55 schrieb rfunnell:

On my previous Q2 and now on my new Q2 Mono the symbols for bluetooth and GPS appear on the Q2 screen but that doesn't guarantee a signal from your phone I think it just means its ready for it. You can only tell whether its worked by looking back at previous images and seeing if the GPS symbol is on the previously taken image.

Anyway its always been a bit like this .  Also the phone goes into standby mode and can stop the GPS signal from coming to the phone and requires you to open the fotos app on the iPhone again to re-activate it I have found.

It does work but it's never been reliable in my opinion.  

I think it reflects that not that many people have complained enough about it not working reliably.

Not much joy really in getting this working reliably over some 3 years now.

It should not matter wether the phone is in sleep mode or not. As an alternative I have installed GeoTags and this works perfectly regardless if the phone is active or in sleep mode. Further it is very precise in how it tags

19 hours ago, M11 for me said:

It should not matter wether the phone is in sleep mode or not. As an alternative I have installed GeoTags and this works perfectly regardless if the phone is active or in sleep mode. Further it is very precise in how it tags

Is Geotags an app available on iPhone - is it Geotag Photos Pro 2, that one?  At this point I'll try anything to have a reliable way of getting accurate location data into my images, a quick read of the geotagphotos website says it works by tracking your location in the phone and then merging the date/time from the photos in the camera with the GPS/date/time in the GPX file in the app. That would work better that the unreliable Fotos app - I also had the problem where it would record the location and still show the same location half a kilometer away....

Sorry: I meant GeoTagr (with an R at the end NOT s).

The only disadvantage to me is the fact that the App has to be started before being used. At the end of your day you can send the recorded route by mail to your PC/Mac. Then Lightroom is prepared to use the data and tag your images. If you need support on how to do that I gladly go more into detail.

I am quite happy with that app

20 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

Sorry: I meant GeoTagr (with an R at the end NOT s).

The only disadvantage to me is the fact that the App has to be started before being used. At the end of your day you can send the recorded route by mail to your PC/Mac. Then Lightroom is prepared to use the data and tag your images. If you need support on how to do that I gladly go more into detail.

I am quite happy with that app

Many thanks! It sounds like it works very similar to Geotag Photos Pro 2 but is less than half the price. I think all of these apps work the same way by starting the app first - Snapbridge for my Nikon D850 is the same - start the app, switch the camera on and off you go - which is what we all want Fotos to do, but actually work! As long as the app is loaded on your phone Snapbridge will write the GPS data into the image file. The two apps we're discussing just need that extra step to hook up the data from the phone to the image via Lightroom or the Geotag Photos Pro 2 desktop app. Geotag Photos Pro 2 has a 3 trip trial so I'll try that first as I don't think GeoTagr has a trial (at least I don't see any mention of it in the Apple App Store). Nice to have options! Many thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.

Note that you might be better off with your app. Mine (the GeoTagr) works fully offline without any link to your camera. It simply records your walk or drive. Later imported into Lightroom you geotag your pictures. The timestamp is the relevant variable. Both your camera and the app record the time. So the time a photograph is take has an equivalent timestamp in the app. And the position at that time is taken to write into the EXIFs as the GPS position. So you bring the two together in Lightroom Classic in the Map module.

If I decide that I will use the Visoflex 2 that I bought recently, which has no GPS, with my M10-R rather than the older Visoflex 020, which has GPS built into it, I will download and try the Geotagr app. Does anyone know if the Geotagr app works with Capture One, as I use that rather than LR as my go to DNG handler. 

Wilson

4 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

If I decide that I will use the Visoflex 2 that I bought recently, which has no GPS, with my M10-R rather than the older Visoflex 020, which has GPS built into it, I will download and try the Geotagr app. Does anyone know if the Geotagr app works with Capture One, as I use that rather than LR as my go to DNG handler. 

Wilson

I can't answer for Geotagr (maybe M11 for me can help there) but when I was reading up on Geotag Photos Pro 2 it said that you can either add the GPS data via the Map module in Lightroom or you can download your DNG/RAW files to your computer and then use their desktop app (Windows/Mac) to do the GPS tagging before importing to your preferred editor. 

UPDATE: I set the time on the Geotag Photos Pro 2 app and my Q2M to be the same and went out on a short 17km trip having started the app before leaving home, telling it to record my location every 5 seconds. I got back home, Airdropped the GPX file to my Mac from my phone and then loaded it into the Map module in Lightroom. I then imported my photos to Lightroom as usual, selected them and went into the Map module and told LR to Auto-tag them. All photos were tagged correctly, even those where I only moved a couple of metres and took a shot. Perfect, simple, accurate and apparently reliable. €11.99  one time purchase? I'm in!

The best thing about this initial experience apart from the utter simplicity of use, was the freedom to shoot and not have to constantly be checking to see if the location icon was lit up in the EVF and the location was being recorded. The app has a trial of 3 trips, check it out and I hope this helps someone else.

I have tried to ask Phase One if Geotagging app data can be uploaded to Capture One and if so which apps they support. Sadly yet again, their support site server is down. 

Wilson

4 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

I have tried to ask Phase One if Geotagging app data can be uploaded to Capture One and if so which apps they support. Sadly yet again, their support site server is down. 

Wilson

In that case would using the Geotag Photos desktop app be an option for you? - do the same process using their app to associate the data with your photos and then import them to Capture One? Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with Capture One but this would be a way of getting the GPS data into the images before importing them. As I mentioned earlier, there are 3 trial trips in the app and the Geotag Photos desktop app is free so it would be worth giving it a quick trial (even around your home) to see how easy it is to get the GPS data into your images.

I have had a response from the Capture One community. They suggest using this app https://www.snafu.org/GeoTag/ . I will look into that as well. I would like adding the geotags to be a one stop intermediate process. Collect the geotags on my phone, import those to an app on my Mac and then merge data with Catalogue on C1 by date/time correlation. 

Wilson