m10m vs gfx100s for black and white

lldd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone done a comparison of the M10 monochrom versus the GFX100S monochrome conversions? Outside of the obvious form factor differences, etc. between the two cameras, can anyone speak to the tonal treatment and light renderings between the two cameras on monochrom images?  Thanks!

4 hours ago, lldd said:

Has anyone done a comparison of the M10 monochrom versus the GFX100S monochrome conversions? Outside of the obvious form factor differences, etc. between the two cameras, can anyone speak to the tonal treatment and light renderings between the two cameras on monochrom images?  Thanks!

Yes, but not in a precise and “scientific” effort. I’ve stood on the same doorstep of a Leica store, and taken broadly the same scene with an M10M, M11, and GFX100S. I’ve done crops off each one from images to 60” wide. My initial impression is that the M10M’s image quality can look more filmic and less processed (at any print size), ie, very clean and pure in the sense of no moire, aliasing or digital artefacts that would come otherwise from a color filter array camera. IMHO the M10m is a very compelling “natural” rendering,  which is what stands out most to me when files from these cameras are individually printed out to large sizes. In comparison the processing and algorithms of the color filter array on the M11 and GFX certainly create a more digital look that I do notice when prints are done.

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1